Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We got the £12.99 small fold up barbecue from lidl as recommended on here. Tried it last night and it was very good. I take the point about some campsites not allowing them though. We'll have to see how far we get with it.

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Use our Outdoor Chef City Grill on the outside gas point all the time. Grill, bake, roast - does it all. When the weather's good, who would want to cook in the van?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have had various bbqs over the years, both charcoal and gas, and have found that its actually not the coals/lava rock that makes things taste 'barbequey' but the fumes/smoke from fat hitting a hot surface.

We have one of these which runs of the cheap gas canisters - it's going with us on our holiday for 6 weeks (off on Sunday! (y)) as it can be used as a bbq and also a stove.

66196C.jpg

We particularly like it as it has:
  • 2 burners so it creates a good amount of heat when we want it
  • we can get enough on for 4 if needs be
  • doubles up as a large stove with a pot stand - ideal for the large frying pan
  • comes in a plastic 'suitcase' so any 'muck/grease' etc is kept inside in storage
  • the suitcase makes a good windbreak, or stand to put it on
  • has a slide out tray which can be lined with foil for quick cleaning, not difficult anyway.
There are a few variants on the above now, some come with a griddle plate too but often don't have the pot stand. There are also some which look the same but the actual cooking surface is quite small.

We also used to have one of the below Royal ones which was larger and cooked stuff brilliantly, with a higher shelf for keeping stuff warm - the lid helped to cook stuff quicker and meant it didn't loose so much moisture either. It was great and the only reason we stopped using it was because it was too big to store in our PVCs (we do carry 2 folding electric bikes and 2 inflatable canoes and all their stuff too!).

41wFqylHv%2BL.jpg

We have also had these smaller ones in the past which still cooked stuff really well, we used them with and without lava rock and just left the rock out in the end as it wasn't needed/made no difference to the taste:

$_57.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Cheap lava stone on special offer usually around £20 great value , camping gaz small bottle now around E24 , looking to fit BBQ point diy when van recovered from main stealer.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I shall have to stop following this thread...too many interesting BBQ's being posted :rolleyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Cheap lava stone on special offer usually around £20 great value , camping gaz small bottle now around E24 , looking to fit BBQ point diy when van recovered from main stealer.
... no point in having lava stone without a stove to go with it though ... :D

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Please let us know what you think.
I am wanting to order one in july when we are back, and sell the cadac which we bought when we first got the van. We only use the griddle/hot plate on the cadac and I can do that on my gas bottle ring with a griddle pan.
Want the charcoal taste now and it will take up less room!
Darren.
PSX_20160503_141942.jpg

It's arrived .. took about 3 mins to set it up. It's going to be a scorcher this weekend too.. perfect test conditions.
I had read that the zip on the snuff out bag was a bit weak and first impressions on that are that it probably is. I'll be gentle with it. The actual unit feels nice and strong. Solid and appears well designed and manufactured.

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
It's arrived .. took about 3 mins to set it up. It's going to be a scorcher this weekend too.. perfect test conditions.
I had read that the zip on the snuff out bag was a bit weak and first impressions on that are that it probably is. I'll be gentle with it. The actual unit feels nice and strong. Solid and appears well designed and manufactured.[/QUOTE]

Looks great. I look forward to a review of it in action.

I want food cooked on it to taste as good as the bbq looks.

I will buy one anyway 'cos they look good.
It will be a big bonus if it cooks well!

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
View attachment 104254

I had read that the zip on the snuff out bag was a bit weak and first impressions on that are that it probably is. I'll be gentle with it. The actual unit feels nice and strong. Solid and appears well designed and manufactured.
Make sure you close the BBQ completely for 5 minutes before placing in the bag over wise it's too hot and melts the zip. Lighting is easy, leave bottom tray open an inch, the top open as far as you can while still holding it together. When the black smoke stops it's ready to cook. We have all found that a pair of welder gloves are great for the opening closing bit. When lighting again push the part used charcoal to what would be the top, new at the bottom. Enjoy (y)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Can't stand tin or steel BBQ's as they just rust away. Aluminium are best. Yet to find a small Ally BBQ with cast iron burners that won't rot away! Got a Cadac but it's not really a BBQ more an external cooker! Has anyone yet made the holy grail of BBQ's that I'm looking for? Probably not as they want me to buy a new one every few years!

SWMBO wants to go to Spain this year and has just noticed that most sites have BBQ bans! How are we going to cope if we can't BBQ?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Can't stand tin or steel BBQ's as they just rust away. Aluminium are best. Yet to find a small Ally BBQ with cast iron burners that won't rot away! Got a Cadac but it's not really a BBQ more an external cooker! Has anyone yet made the holy grail of BBQ's that I'm looking for? Probably not as they want me to buy a new one every few years!

SWMBO wants to go to Spain this year and has just noticed that most sites have BBQ bans! How are we going to cope if we can't BBQ?
Weber Q series BBQs. Come in different sizes. Cast aluminium bottom and top, cast iron griddle and stainless steel burner(s). Not cheap but is heavy for its size. Cook on it the American way, lid down and low and slow. Had one for about 4 years at home and no sign of rust or rot.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Weber Q series BBQs. Come in different sizes. Cast aluminium bottom and top, cast iron griddle and stainless steel burner(s). Not cheap but is heavy for its size. Cook on it the American way, lid down and low and slow. Had one for about 4 years at home and no sign of rust or rot.

I have looked at these and the only thing putting me off is the stainless steel burner which would be better in cast iron but if yours is still going after 4 years then I might give it a try!(y)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I have looked at these and the only thing putting me off is the stainless steel burner which would be better in cast iron but if yours is still going after 4 years then I might give it a try!(y)
weve had a weber for several years it lives outside most of the time no problem

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Gave up on the barby years ago now either cook inside, eat out or use an electric George Foreman from outside electric point when on mains

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
All I do is clean it once a year in the Spring and apply oil to the griddle. Rest of the time just wire brush griddle after each use and empty the drip tray. Burner is still fine, plenty of baked on fat but no rust.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We have a gas point fitted and a Cadac, but, !!! I personally find it a PITA, gonna go charcol methinks in future, and skip the Cadac.

We do have one of those Aerosol gas type portable cookers, which we use outside when cooking meat onions, etc, smelly stuff! Nothing worse than going to bed with the stink of cooking wafting around in the m/h.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

well after saying charcoal was best, which I still think it is, I've bought a Weber Q 1200 series .. and it's a great bit of kit.. as you would expect from Weber..

For a gas supply, rather than using the small expensive Weber cans, I have bought a Calor 5kg patio gas bottle.. light enough to carry but with a useful capacity.

when you cant 't bothered lighting a charcoal one. you can have this out and cooking in no time at all.. compared to lighting the Go Anywhere charcoal Weber, it's cleaner, easier and controllable.. and you still get that great BBQ taste..

I love cooking and when away.. do as much as possible outside.. Gas barbie and a cheap gas cooking ring .. sorted..

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
well after saying charcoal was best, which I still think it is, I've bought a Weber Q 1200 series .. and it's a great bit of kit.. as you would expect from Weber..

For a gas supply, rather than using the small expensive Weber cans, I have bought a Calor 5kg patio gas bottle.. light enough to carry but with a useful capacity.

when you cant 't bothered lighting a charcoal one. you can have this out and cooking in no time at all.. compared to lighting the Go Anywhere charcoal Weber, it's cleaner, easier and controllable.. and you still get that great BBQ taste..

I love cooking and when away.. do as much as possible outside.. Gas barbie and a cheap gas cooking ring .. sorted..

I had one of these...great little BBQ but the darn thing wouldn't go in my side locker without taking the lid off! (silly little side locker on b544) Very reluctantly sold for £50!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I had one of these...great little BBQ but the darn thing wouldn't go in my side locker without taking the lid off! (silly little side locker on b544) Very reluctantly sold for £50!

I was disappointed wouldn't fit in my side locker either.. so it's in the garage..

someone got a bargain.. !

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
My Motorhome came with a hob so did the previous one and all my caravans all have done a perfectly good job of cooking food.
Nothing more anti-social than a BBQ stinking every one out.:)
Can we have a pantomime "BOO" button please Jim lol

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We have a cadac safari chef, bought about 4 years ago and wouldn't be without it. I use it all year round and cook most things on it. Obviously bbq but also casseroles, curries, chillies, stir fries, got a pizza stone, full roast dinners and last time away I baked croissants and pastries bought frozen from Iceland. We did pay to have a bbq point added to our house gas tank but the cost was worth it for use.

Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
We also have a Cadac which we love and use daily, we don´t often use sites but have found that the ban doesn´t usually apply to gas BBQ´s - provided you keep them up off the grass or anything flammable.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back