Bantam trailer loading problems (1 Viewer)

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
IMG_0571.JPG
IMG_0572.JPG
IMG_0574.JPG
IMG_0573.JPG
Hi guys , I need some help I thought today I would have a go at loading my smart car onto my newly acquired bantam trailer and it nearly ended in disaster , the problem is I am not sure which way the ramps fit if the first photo is correct then all the weight of the car is held by that little mushroom headed bolt if the second photo is right then that's when the disaster happened and as I drove onto the trailer the wheel spun the ramp down the drive way leaving me half on and half off the trailer . So has any one got a bantam trailer that can tell me the right (safe) way , thanks

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Brilliant , it makes sense when someone tells you .thanks ever so much will now go and have another go.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Champers down, pin in hole, as stated above. I got fed up of kneeling on wet ground to stow mine so now they're hinged in position & stand up behind the car when travelling.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hang on a minute ... on the one on the right the sides are raised, like the one on the left but the pin on the right is underneath but on the left above ... does the pin 'move' up/down in the hole? If not then something's wrong!

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Hang on a minute ... on the one on the right the sides are raised, like the one on the left but the pin on the right is underneath but on the left above ... does the pin 'move' up/down in the hole? If not then something's wrong!
Looks to me the pin has ripped out.

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
No @Minxy Girl it was just me trying to demonstrate my level of stupidity. ,they are both the same . Now that I have had it explained to me I successfully loaded and unloaded the car so I am now a happy bunny again . Thanks everyone

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The one on the right has its pin at the ground end
So upside down and back to front:doh:

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
The one on the right has its pin at the ground end
So upside down and back to front:doh:
Well spotted (y) I missed that :rolleyes:

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Well done Howard. I have PMd you and Jim. I don't know if Jim will have seen this yet. I had replied to you before finding this.

All the best Clive:france:

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Well done Howard. I have PMd you and Jim. I don't know if Jim will have seen this yet. I had replied to you before finding this.

All the best Clive:france:
Thanks Clive hope you are well and enjoying life , I have now sorted the problem it was just me being a little thick (ok a lot thick lol ) but thanks for getting in touch with Jim . Regards

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Whilst I am sure you know this I would definitely hook the trailer up to the vehicle before driving on.

We saw a Smart off the front of a trailer in Mazarron. It tipped as he drove on and needed a crane to get it off the A frame. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Whilst I am sure you know this I would definitely hook the trailer up to the vehicle before driving on.

We saw a Smart off the front of a trailer in Mazarron. It tipped as he drove on and needed a crane to get it off the A frame. :)
Not sure I agree with that, if for some reason the trailer isn't totally secure it could easily be pushed into the back of the MH ... that would be a VERY expensive mistake!

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001

Dont understand this
I have had a smart trailer for years and almost never load it coupled

@Howard H ........as has been said, mushroom pin down into hole, ramps will have no sides, just smooth surface

Driving off the end and on to the A frame takes some doing , there is a bar to stop you

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Rear support legs have to be used when uncoupled and should be used even when coupled
Its pure laziness that causes loading/unloading accidents most of the time
Guilty as charged Your Honour :doh:

Last edited:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The original "Bantam" Smart Car trailer produced by Bantam Trailers Ltd. (not the Brian James or other) has the ramps with sides up so than you don't drive off the ramps when loading. I always hooked up to the van before loading and Joan insisted the steadies at the rear be down. The ramps have holes not slots for the pin to go through. I fitted padlocks to prevent the aluminium ramps being pinched for scrap, so the mushroom pins are only used for loading. Joan drove the car on the trailer while I guided from the front. The trailer design prevents the car going over the end.

Image1049.jpg

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
There are a good few designs of ramps on the bantam many originals are stolen, and replaced by professionally made ones, so its hard to say what was an original ramp.
That front rail is defiantly not fail safe John so dont rely on it totally
ive personally witnessed two over shoot.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
There are a good few designs of ramps on the bantam many originals are stolen, and replaced by professionally made ones, so its hard to say what was an original ramp.
That front rail is defiantly not fail safe John so dont rely on it totally
ive personally witnessed two over shoot.
Hi Geo
My picture above is of a Bantam Trailers Ltd., Smart Car Trailer fitted with the original ramps. I bought it new when they were manufactured at Thuxton Airfield in the adjacent unit to the racing outfit.
Joan had charged forward on loading and the front rail certainly brought our Smart to a dead stop.
I have just sold our trailer last week, so don't need to worry about overshoots, after we demonstrate it to the new owners.
Thanks for the warning though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back