banning overnight parking

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by larrythelamb, Oct 26, 2008.

1. larrythelamb

larrythelamb Read Only Funster

hi all
    this is from another forum we all need to sign this :thumb:

With various towns in east England having already or planning to ban motorhomes from stopping in them,i have started a petition to the PM asking that councils be made to provide areas where legal motorhomes can stop overnight.The link is here... Petition to: Provide stopping places for motorhomes. | Number10.gov.uk

2. theresa

theresa Read Only Funster

good for you . been and done it . all the best:BigGrin:

3. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

:thumb::thumb:we have done it as well

4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Which towns are banning motorhomes?

Graham

5. Kon tiki

Kon tiki Read Only Funster

This was on another thread from this forum.

6. gypsyrose

gypsyrose Funster

Just waiting for email so that I can "sign" .....let's all do this as it's getting harder all the time to park up. :cry:

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Absultely right Ed - This One. I was tired last night when I first responded - didn't have my thinking head on :BigGrin:

Graham

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

It's actually getting easier to park up legally.

What is also happening, though, is that councils and other land owners are implementing more controls on illegal parking and camping.

Graham

9. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

petition

been there ! dun it ! SO COME ON YOU FUNSTERS !!!! its in your own interests ! like they say vote early and vote often ! :thanks2:

10. roadtraveller

roadtraveller Read Only Funster

Done it. :shout:

11. dshague

dshague Funster

done it .hope it works .good luck :thumb:

12. Mark&Sue

Mark&Sue Deleted User

All signed up! Can't believe that this country is so poor at looking after motorhomers, the right to live as you please.:cry:

13. Hycon

Hycon Read Only Funster

name on the list

14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

But there isn't a "right to live as you please", only a "right to live as you please within the law" - and that doesn't include camping where one likes unless it is legal or, at least, tolerated.

The main problem with this petition is that it is wrongly targeted. Parking facilities are matters for local authorities, not central government, and there is absolutely no chance of central government taking powers to make the situation otherwise.

The reason why most local authorities don't use existing powers to create aires or equivalents is that they don't have evidence to show that it would be to the advantage of their local areas.

What they do see, in some areas anyway, is an increase in complaints from residents about MH owners camping overnight where such is perceived as detrimental to the area.

What hardly ever happens is any approach from motorhome owners to councils along the lines of "If you provide somewhere for MHs to overnight in your area it is likely that the owners will spend money in the town, to the economic benefit of the area".

Councils are unlikely to spend taxpayers' money providing things like fresh water points and grey/black waste disposal unless they think there is going to be some value for taxpayers in return.

That's why I encourage people to make positive approaches to councils and provide letter templates on my web site Here.

Graham

15. Mitch

Mitch Deleted User

Petition

Signed up, it'll take a lot more to make a difference though.
    The point about local governemt is spot on though.

As a relevant point of interest and not wishing to divert the thread, would there be an issue with Gypsies if these areas where provided ? , do they have a problem in France ?
    In North Wales they will regularly take over a car park for a few weeks on there way through, only this Sunday a large group left a car park on the sea front near us, after a week and left their ltter behind :Angry:

Mitch:Smile:

16. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

The French aires are policed by the local municipal police who have the powers to move on undesirables without needing a court order.
    I've never seen one overrun by gypsies but I have seen the odd 'undesirable' moved on.. swiftly.

17. madbluemad

madbluemad

Done, just need to sign the confirmation email :thumb:

18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The reason why some groups of gypsies/travellers (English Gypsies and Irish Travellers) have to be treated differently by local authorities is that they are ethnic groups recognised by the Race Relations Amendment Act 2000. Guidance issued by central government to councils indicates how they must take account of the RRAA, the Human Rights Act and other national legislation in dealing with unauthorised encampments set up by members of those groups.

Obviously, in the early stages of an unauthorised encampment it can be difficult for councils to know whether the group responsible qualify as a separate ethnic group and, consequently, what action can/should be taken - though it is not difficult to see that it would normally be a simple matter to identify MH owners as not being part of a group given the RRAA protection.

Whether the law should be amended is (as with so many others) a matter of divided opinion - but that is something which could appropriately be the subject of a petition to No 10 as it is the responsibilty of central government. I would suggest, though, that for any petition to have a chance of succeeding it would have to be sensitively worded to avoid accusations that it was founded on prejudice.

The main adverse effect on MH owners is that some parking areas are height controlled to prevent unauthorised encampments and that also has the effect of preventing us from parking there in the daytime when we have no intention of staying overnight. This is an area where positive approaches to councils might be beneficial - persuading councils to employ staffed barriers so that their areas might enjoy the economic benefits of daytime visitors whilst avoiding the problem of unauthorised encampments.

Graham

19. iain4702

iain4702 Read Only Funster

Banning Parking

Have now signed petition

20. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

curious ?

these "ethnic" travellers, what happens when there no.plates are clocked by cameras that recognise identity etc. also what happens when the angle grinders come out to dispense with the height barriers ? why cant i cry out to the "powers that be " YOU ARE PICKING ON ME BECAUSE I AM A LAW ABIDING TAXPAYER ! discuss. :restmycase:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008