Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Reading a lengthy post on the out and about forum about Banner batterys I decided to have a check on my two Banner energy batterys. First of all I checked the Varta engine battery which has been in the van from new (2007), everything was fine with well flooded cells. Moving on to the leisure batterys after trying different coins I found that 1p coin was the best fit in the slots aided by a pair of pliers, although after using it to open all the cells on both batterys it is in no fit state to go back in circulation. Every cell on both batterys needed topping up by about 80ml, so I hope that no long term damage has been done. I was always under the impression that these batterys were maintenance free, the tightness of the screws reinforced this view, now I know better I will check them on a regular basis.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
My understanding of "maintenance free" is that you can't get in to top them up even if they need it, so they die. I believe AGM and Gel batteries are different.

Martin

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I have a Banner leisure battery and find I have to top it up with distilled water a couple of times a year. Must be same type as yours as I use a coin just the same. It's now just over 5 years old and still holds a good charge and shows no signs of failing when I'm not on EHU.

That reminds me...time to check it again!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
My understanding of "maintenance free" is that you can't get in to top them up even if they need it, so they die. I believe AGM and Gel batteries are different.

Martin
My understanding is the same.
I have a Banner leisure battery and find I have to top it up with distilled water a couple of times a year.
Same here. I put very little water in it though. I have used both 1p and 20p pieces (with pliers initially after a recommendation from @Terry).
The battery was in the van when we bought it in February 2012 but I have no idea whether or not it was new at the time.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
My understanding is the same.

Same here. I put very little water in it though. I have used both 1p and 20p pieces (with pliers initially after a recommendation from @Terry).
The battery was in the van when we bought it in February 2012 but I have no idea whether or not it was new at the time.
How do you maintain a gel battery then?

KeithMak

Free Member
Nov 10, 2016
South West
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
You don't other than keeping the terminals clean and tight , and of course ensuring it is kept fully charged by a charger set up for GEL.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I was always told (when just a lad) to only top up until the water was just above the plates and you get a kinda reflection from it. Looking in on my battery there are some little red plastic bits that look as though they could be a level indicator...anybody else have same or use them as a quite to the level?

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
I've got a Yamaha Vmax 1200 V4, I've had this motor bike for about 10 years, in that time I've had to renew the battery only once, last year, and I don't know how long the battery had been on it ?

In our Vmax community (world wide) we ALWAYS replace with an Oddesy gel battery, they last about 10 years, an then just die, but start EVERY TIME when required, not trying to sell people on Oddesy batteries, but gel batteries, YES

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I was always told (when just a lad) to only top up until the water was just above the plates and you get a kinda reflection from it. Looking in on my battery there are some little red plastic bits that look as though they could be a level indicator...anybody else have same or use them as a quite to the level?
Ours has something visible, though I can't remember the colour offhand. The reflection effect coincides with the tops of them so I think they are level indicators.

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
thMN77KNL3.jpg
Fun-with-food-06.jpg
Shower gel works quite well but I prefer melting down them haribo jelly sweets, they last longer......;)

:)
I take it you make them into a "SANDWICH!!!!" or do you prefer the ickly lickle sqwidgy iggly ones?

OP
OP
FJmike

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Oddesy gel battery, they last about 10 years, an then just die, but start EVERY TIME when required, not trying to sell people on Oddesy batteries, but gel batteries, YES
Leisure batterys require far different qualities than a starter battery. According to @aandncaravan Varta lfd batterys are much better suited to motorhome fitment and he should know as he deals with motorhome electrics on a daily basis.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back