Bank Card (1 Viewer)

Jul 21, 2011
Up’t North West
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
We will be doing our first trip into Europe in May. We will be sailing to Dunkirk, then on to Brugge through Germany via Romantic Road to Austria ( Wolfgangsee area) then down to Lake Garda, Valencia. We then hope to travel back by Switzerland to Thann, then back to Dunkirk.
First question. Travelling from up't North West we will be low on Diesel when we reach tuther side of channel. Where is the best place to fuel up in Dunkirk or Belgium?
Second question. Which no fee card do I apply for to load with money from my current Nat West account?
Thank you
Colin

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
While the Halifax Clarity card gives an excellent exchange rate I think that to apply for one you would need a Halifax Current Account

To load from the Nat West account I would recommend the Caxton FX Prepaid card. You load with whatever currency you want to use, whenever you want, and rates seem good, and then use it abroad like a bank card. You can top up from your current account while abroad and if you lose it you don't have to have too much currency loaded. No fee just the exchange rate. I think they are owned by Newcastle Building Society

https://www.caxtonfx.com/currency-cards/why-use-a-currency-card

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have a Clarity card and no other accounts with Halifax at all.

The exchange rate is good and there are no fees on purchases but you will be charged interest straight away for cash withdrawals so it's not great for those.

I take a Clarity card for purchases and a Revolut currency card for cash withdrawals.

The Revolut card gives you the spot rate for exchanges which beats all the others by a mile.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
We use Caxton. No charges for cash from ATM or purchases. Get your deisel from any of the large supermarkets, cheaper than petrol stations and often have 24hr self service with Pay At Pump.

They don't always take all cards at pumps but no problem at kiosk.

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
If you need gas you'll get that at the supermarkets too. NOT CALOR! Each country has different bottles with different fittings so be aware of this if you don't have a refillable system.

Wyn

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We've just come back through Belgium from France. Not a great deal of difference in prices (France or Belgium), other than Luxembourg, which is cheaper, although the difference between Luxembourg and the others is not as great as it was a few months ago. As above, the supermarkets or 24/24 pay at pump places are the place to go, but not all cards are accepted at the 24/24 pay at pump places. In particular, pre-paid cash cards such as Caxton FX are often not accepted.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
We use the tunnel but when we head towards Belgium we fill up at Auchan Grande Synthe (51.00479, 2.28551) just off Junction 54 of the A16 motorway. I agree with others Halifax Clarity Card is the way to go, even for cash its better than a normal bank card.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Norwich and Peterborough building society debit card - commercial exchange rate and no foreign transaction fees even for cash machines.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back