Bank Card

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by dbnosey, Apr 5, 2016.

1. dbnosey

dbnosey Funster

We will be doing our first trip into Europe in May. We will be sailing to Dunkirk, then on to Brugge through Germany via Romantic Road to Austria ( Wolfgangsee area) then down to Lake Garda, Valencia. We then hope to travel back by Switzerland to Thann, then back to Dunkirk.
    First question. Travelling from up't North West we will be low on Diesel when we reach tuther side of channel. Where is the best place to fuel up in Dunkirk or Belgium?
    Second question. Which no fee card do I apply for to load with money from my current Nat West account?
    Thank you
    Colin

2. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

3. Clickem

Clickem Funster

While the Halifax Clarity card gives an excellent exchange rate I think that to apply for one you would need a Halifax Current Account

To load from the Nat West account I would recommend the Caxton FX Prepaid card. You load with whatever currency you want to use, whenever you want, and rates seem good, and then use it abroad like a bank card. You can top up from your current account while abroad and if you lose it you don't have to have too much currency loaded. No fee just the exchange rate. I think they are owned by Newcastle Building Society

https://www.caxtonfx.com/currency-cards/why-use-a-currency-card

4. xsparks

xsparks Funster

I have the clarity card and I don't have a current account with Halifax.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I have a Clarity card and no other accounts with Halifax at all.

The exchange rate is good and there are no fees on purchases but you will be charged interest straight away for cash withdrawals so it's not great for those.

I take a Clarity card for purchases and a Revolut currency card for cash withdrawals.

The Revolut card gives you the spot rate for exchanges which beats all the others by a mile.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

We use Caxton. No charges for cash from ATM or purchases. Get your deisel from any of the large supermarkets, cheaper than petrol stations and often have 24hr self service with Pay At Pump.

They don't always take all cards at pumps but no problem at kiosk.

Wyn

7. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

If you need gas you'll get that at the supermarkets too. NOT CALOR! Each country has different bottles with different fittings so be aware of this if you don't have a refillable system.

Wyn

8. rickwiggans

rickwiggans Funster

We've just come back through Belgium from France. Not a great deal of difference in prices (France or Belgium), other than Luxembourg, which is cheaper, although the difference between Luxembourg and the others is not as great as it was a few months ago. As above, the supermarkets or 24/24 pay at pump places are the place to go, but not all cards are accepted at the 24/24 pay at pump places. In particular, pre-paid cash cards such as Caxton FX are often not accepted.

9. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

10. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

We use the tunnel but when we head towards Belgium we fill up at Auchan Grande Synthe (51.00479, 2.28551) just off Junction 54 of the A16 motorway. I agree with others Halifax Clarity Card is the way to go, even for cash its better than a normal bank card.

11. berni109

berni109 Funster

Norwich and Peterborough building society debit card - commercial exchange rate and no foreign transaction fees even for cash machines.

• Like Like x 1