Ban on chemicals in cassette toilets (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
we use those blue or green toilet cistern tabs dissolved in warm water in a half gallon plastic container then ade to your flush water to what ever dilution you want
no nasty toilet smells
bill
We have a 32 litre black tank and just drop 3 of the Lidl cheap bio washing tablets in per tank load. Importantly though we are the move every day so the black tank gets a good stir. However on the odd occasion we have had a smell, it's soon fixed by adding a couple more tablets...

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
It's a separate 'header' tank Kath. That's the important bit to M for the reason given, but the rinse like all the 'correct' products are expensive and apart from the Thetford Rinse smell v unpleasant.
In which case you should take a leaf out of @Mousy 's book and use Happy Bowl Liners! I've just bought some from a link she provided (£6.95 for 50, free P&P, so not too dear!) and apparantly you'll never need to scrub skid marks again! Worth every penny in that case! As caravaners we only ever used our loo for 'liquid evacuation' and I've yet to 'go all the way' in the MoHo! At least now with Mousey's help I can go with a clear conscience! :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
In which case you should take a leaf out of @Mousy 's book and use Happy Bowl Liners! I've just bought some from a link she provided (£6.95 for 50, free P&P, so not too dear!) and apparantly you'll never need to scrub skid marks again! Worth every penny in that case! As caravaners we only ever used our loo for 'liquid evacuation' and I've yet to 'go all the way' in the MoHo! At least now with Mousey's help I can go with a clear conscience! :D
Been using them ever since we bought the motorhome. Brilliant for those of us who do not come equipped with bomb aiming sights. :D

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We have a 32 litre black tank... (snipped) . However on the odd occasion we have had a smell,

That is strange.. @EssexBoy if it's correctly installed your tank should be vented to the roof.. This creates negative pressure in the tank preventing smells enetering the van when the toilet is in use.. .. it may be blocked or has fallen down into the tank.. .. or perhaps you don't have one.. in which case it may be worth investigating to see if one can be retro installed.. it's only a piece of plastic pipe from the top of the tank to the roof and fitted with a cowl..

EDIT

just realised you said 32 lt.. I read gallon.. that's just the size of two cassettes.. probably too small to have a had vent fitted

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
That is strange.. @EssexBoy if it's correctly installed your tank should be vented to the roof.. This creates negative pressure in the tank preventing smells enetering the van when the toilet is in use.. .. it may be blocked or has fallen down into the tank.. .. or perhaps you don't have one.. in which case it may be worth investigating to see if one can be retro installed.. it's only a piece of plastic pipe from the top of the tank to the roof and fitted with a cowl..

EDIT

just realised you said 32 lt.. I read gallon.. that's just the size of two cassettes.. probably too small to have a had vent fitted
Yes sorry... Should have quantified... Occasionally, when flushing you get to smell the the tank contents a bit... Nothing excessive, and chucking a couple of extra tablets in sorts it out quickly...
Also a typo, the tank is 38 litres... Not that it makes much difference I suppose...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Yes sorry... Should have quantified... Occasionally, when flushing you get to smell the the tank contents a bit... Nothing excessive, and chucking a couple of extra tablets in sorts it out quickly...
Also a typo, the tank is 38 litres... Not that it makes much difference I suppose...

Speaking from experience of having a 50 gal black tank , I'm guessing it's not vented then, if it were there would be no smell when flushing ..

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Speaking from experience of having a 50 gal black tank , I'm guessing it's not vented then, if it were there would be no smell when flushing ..
No... No roof vent... But isn't an issue for us... As I say, only got a smell once or twice, and thinking about it now, could have been that we didn't actually put in any tablets in, in the first place... I must admit I'm not very good at remembering...:):)

jebris

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The purpose for adding Aqukem is primarily to kill nasty bacteria .. and make it smell less like $hit.. not break anything down per see, ..
as you say, 2 or 3 days wouldn't be long enough..

Rotavirus
This viral strain can cause severe diarrhea and high fevers.

Along with these health risks, it is important to understand that cross-contamination can occur if the affected area is not properly contained and ventilated.

Tnx man for information

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Don't need anything! Empty, rinse and after a few days the bugs build up and very little smell when emptying!
A good degunge once or twice a year with white vinegar or cheap coke and bobs your mothers brother!!!

A good point this. I frequently empty daily and only rinse on occasion, perhaps weekly. This definitely smells less than rinsing each time, possibly due to a build up of bacteria that break things down. I do use the bio wash liquid though. I find the official loo fluids make it smell more, possibly due to killing the bugs.

drago35uk

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Article in the Hymer magazine saying it is now illegal to use additives in toilet cassette, so those of you visiting Germany who haven't got a SOG better get one fitted.
Who's going to know .... the emptying point overseer?

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Remember Mum and Dad use to use a large tall yellow bucket with lid. Had it for years in the old Sprite. When they gave up touring Dad made use of the bucket....brewed his beer in it!!! :beerchug::drink:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back