Baltic Wharf

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Gooney, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Whey hey,
    After really fancying staying at Baltic Wharf (CC site in Bristol)for close on 2 years I managed an online booking today at 12oclock (CC bookings opened at 9am today for 2012) for the 1st to 4th April, I couldn't get my first preferrence in Feb,(fully booked) but have squeezed in Sunday to Thursday departure, I think all my subsequent booking will be for CL's thought, at £25:30 a night it's a piss take (non members + £7 per night)

2. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi Gooney
    It's right on the water, very handy for Bristol , go out the back gate and your on the river, we stopped there this year and visited friends (in their car) to a cl it was miles out of the city. Bristol wharf is a good site a good pub down the river and plenty to see in the locality. Pete :thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We enjoyed our stay at Baltic Wharf a few years ago. Price too high? It's market rates for a popular site. As with anything else, those who don't want to pay it can go elsewhere. Nobody forces anyone to book at any site.

4. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

I too have been trying for some time to get into Baltic Wharf,always wanted to see SS Great Britain.Oddly enough we booked !st of April as well, as for the price, yes they have you by the Baltics:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  5. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

At the prices the clubs charge for their sites,the only benefit I can see is the CL/CS network,and they are trying to influence their fees!:Angry:

6. poppys

poppys Read Only Funster

We found the whole area fascinating and enjoyed a few days there; stayed on a CL and drove to the Park & Ride, there was an area for high vehicles to park there. Well worth a visit:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

After trying for 3 years to see the balooon festival in August we too got in for that, had to get on early at 9am though to do it, lots of spaces filled up already though beggars belief doesnt it?:RollEyes:
    We went there for 3 days in the winter and loved it, been trying ever since to get in for the summer, I know it's expensive but you only live once eh?:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  8. rangitira

rangitira Funster

It's a good Site, but a bit over "supervised" Saw one fella told to move because he was a foot out of place!:Doh:

The Pub out the back gate and to the left, serves OK grub, nothing special tho, BUT!!! does serve a brilliant pint of "Butcoombe Blond":thumb:

If you walk into town along the Wharf the Bristol Museum is a good visit (free) There are several ways of getting into town, walk as before, Ferry, or Bus (ask for The Gallerys) then just left around the corner and down the hill, THEN!!! Shopping Heaven! all the big stores, the Gallery os full also of shops that make Mrs R , Well we won't go into that!!!:Blush:

One point tho, if you have a Continental Habitation door, they make you park facing the wall, which is not nice! But! there is one pitch where you can Park facing out, Pitch 33! :thumb:

9. madbluemad

madbluemad

Hello Graham.

So are you in favor of us just accepting whatever anybody wants to charge for a product or service without a peep. Maybe let them abuse us a bit whilst we grovel and thank them profusley for overcharging us.
    Jim
    :Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

What I actually said was
    So, if anyone doesn't want to accept the price they are free not to. It's just like anything else in the unregulated areas of the private sector, companies are free to set any price they like. If a company pitches its prices too high then its sales will suffer and so will its viability.

If a company can sells its products and services for the prices it wants to then why should it take any less? Should Rolls Royce. prices be lowered to the same as Hyundai just because they are higher? Of course not, the higher price is asked for a higher grade product.

If, in the case of a company like the CC, the members think that the prices they are charged are too high there are mechanisms for them to raise the matter at the AGM and have prices lowered - should they be able to find enough support.

The alternative is strict prices (and, of course, incomes) policy of the type which Wilson failed with around 40 years ago.

11. madbluemad

madbluemad

I read what you said Graham. Whats dear old Harold, 40 years ago got to do with the price of fish today.

Jim
    :BigGrin:

12. LickeyEndBlues

LickeyEndBlues Read Only Funster

BW is very high on our list of places to stay. We tried a few years ago when we were tugging and couldn't believe it was full. Having since been to the area I can see why.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/29/29164/Orchard_Inn/Bristol

This IS the pub to visit if you like; real beer/cider; reasonably priced food; music; and a short walk!

13. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Yay - I've managed to book in there for my birthday in May.

It's a unique little site and worth every penny :Smile:

14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Don't you remember the Prices & Incomes Policy Jim? :BigGrin:
    From Wikipedia

15. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

The fact that there is a waiting list proves that the price is correct, perhaps even too cheap. :Eeek:

If it were too expensive there wouldn't be a queue/waiting list

It it were too cheap there would be too many customers for spaces! Which is, I believe the current situation.

The market always finds the level that the market is prepared to pay!

Personally I wouldn't be prepared to say anything is a piss take unless I was privy to their overheads, which I am not. I would guess for example that the business rates, in the centre of Bristol right on the waterfront would be extremely high. This would have to be factored into the price that guests would have to pay.

Eddie

• Like Like x 1
  16. madbluemad

madbluemad

Funny enough I do Graham. I was young, fit, free, good lookin, loaded and it was the 60's :Cool:

Poor old Harold, he had no chance against the unions at that time. I believe it was Heath who brought in legislation to cap wage increases. If I remember correctly it was 4%. That didnt work either and he got the bullet.
    Jim
    :BigGrin:

17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I knew you would remember it really :BigGrin: I recall a £1 + 4% from some time in the 1970s but can't remember whether that was Heath's government or Wilson's from 1974.

One paragraph from that Wikipedia article that struck me was
    I've often wondered how much better things might have been if Wilson had backed Castle instead of giving in.

18. madbluemad

madbluemad

It would have been interesting that's for sure.
    Jim
    :Wink:

19. catspyjamas

catspyjamas Funster

If any one wants any local info on Baltic Wharf PM me - I live next door! :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1