Bailey Electrics

Discussion in 'Bailey Motorhomes' started by SomeoneElse, Jul 26, 2013.

1. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

We've had our Bailey for nearly 2 months now, and I have added a second leisure battery and a NASA monitor. I now have a better indication of what is happening to the leisure battery.

The good news it that on EHU, the battery is charged up. It eventually, after about 20hours, reaches 13.8V at 0.1A, an ideal floating charge.

The bad news is that when I start the engine, after removing the EHU it seems that engine and leisure battery are simply connected together, with no diode to prevent draining of the leisure battery.
    With the engine running I see a discharge of 2 to 3 amps. There is no difference between tick over and 2000 revs.

The even worst news is that when I switch the fridge to 12V I see a discharge of 8A. I expect this falls over time.

The result is that when I arrive on site I have a leisure battery at 12.6V which needs another few hours or so on EHU to get it back to fully charged.

Is this normal?
    Should I run the fridge on gas while traveling? The Bailey has a crash detection gas valve so that the heater can be used while traveling.

Any comments or suggestions?

Gordon

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

There is a "split charge relay" that connects the engine and leisure batteries as soon as the alternator provides current, so both batteries share the alternator, it becomes one big battery.

12.6 is fully charged. 13V+ is float charging.

I'm guessing the NASA is getting confused because of the way it monitors one battery. I may be wrong here. With the various earth paths on the two batteries it's all very subtle and the NASA is measuring only a few millivolts to determine the current flow.

The safe option is to run the fridge on 12V when driving, this is wired into the starter battery.