Dec 11, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sept. 1995
Organplayer

Oopps. Should have said the m/hme in question is being taken to the Bailey factory.

OP
OP
rolandrat

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
When I saw this video of Toms motorhome, unknown to anyone I contacted Bailey who in turn contacted me back. The response as I see it is going to be very positive so fair play to Bailey. Some where along the line there's been a breakdown in communication and the owner has been on the end of it. Lets hope that he gets total satisfaction.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
When I saw this video of Toms motorhome, unknown to anyone I contacted Bailey who in turn contacted me back. The response as I see it is going to be very positive so fair play to Bailey. Some where along the line there's been a breakdown in communication and the owner has been on the end of it. Lets hope that he gets total satisfaction.

Will/are Bailey going to respond on here ? Or do we have to find out through a 3rd party ?
Sorry but this thing sticks in my mind just like Swifts rotting floors, Peter the boss at the time reassured people that Swift would repair etc as and when they presented --- since then things have altered :Angry:so that now anyone buying a 2005/6/7 Swift group's MH has to check the flooring or risk a large bill :Eeek:
Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Will/are Bailey going to respond on here ? Or do we have to find out through a 3rd party ?
Sorry but this thing sticks in my mind just like Swifts rotting floors, Peter the boss at the time reassured people that Swift would repair etc as and when they presented --- since then things have altered :Angry:so that now anyone buying a 2005/6/7 Swift group's MH has to check the flooring or risk a large bill :Eeek:
Terry

Terry in all fairness to Swift, they repaired all the floors that they were notified about and continued to do so for some time after, during that period all the vans should have had habitation services and the problems noted and rectified.

We are now eight years down the line and it has to stop somewhere as said above hab services should have picked them up.

Just my two pence worth..
Peter

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry in all fairness to Swift, they repaired all the floors that they were notified about and continued to do so for some time after, during that period all the vans should have had habitation services and the problems noted and rectified.

We are now eight years down the line and it has to stop somewhere as said above hab services should have picked them up.

Just my two pence worth..
Peter

That's fine Peter but Swift did not put a time limit on it,so if someone buys a Swift circa 7 yrs old ---ALSO REPORTS ON 2009 yr vans :Eeek:--- they should still fix it :Smile: after all they admitted fault just relied on dealers to retify :thumb: Some will have slipped through the net :Eeek:::bigsmile:
Besides Peter I don't forget :winky: it should never have happend or they should have had a recall every van and have it checked not just the dealer serviced ones

edit yes Swift did a decent job but this post is about Bailey and there responce now
terry

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
so let me just get this right in my head then...

Please correct me if im wrong.

Man comes on Motorhome forum highlighting you tube vid of a man with a problem with his van.

Without the full facts, people lambast Build quality and Lambast every van ever made by Bailey motorhomes (please include caravans)

Then in a twist to the story, another man who doesn't own a Bailey, contacts them and gets facts that portrait that Bailey are actually actively seeking to rectify the issue and have actually taken the van back in to inspect.

Then in another twist, Jon&chell reports his Causson has a similar issue that he has repaired himself, although far more difficult to detect than the bailey problem- this however is completely ignored as a problem as his van is French and not British.

On the evidence portrait on this forum and now with 2 people who identify a problem and (1 who doesnt) Dot decides that she will not be buying a Bailey.

That just then leaves Terry, whom of course managed to get in the normal dig in to the Swift motorhome group's failure to give a lifetime guaruntee on any floor made since the 1900s

but

Not before a Motorcyclist has decided that the new Bailey motorhome is dangerous to those on two wheels as it may place rain water on the road.

Meor on the other hand suggests that buying a Rapido would of cured all the problems of the original poster. Despite me having two private messages from people advising me not to buy a rapido when I was going to because of so many faults and bad customer service (they don't count, another French van)

On the lighter side, both Icantremember and Hilldweller (beaten by 22 mins) suggest that at least the owner wont have to worry about the reverse judder.

I think that pretty much brings us up to speed on this one.

Don't you just love Motorhome forums. :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I was going to hit quote post button but decided not to to save people having to read it all again ::bigsmile:
Yep Paul you are about upto speed :thumb: and in my defence may I say even after all the rotting floor Swift jobby I still like them, simply because I think they make some of the nicest, good looking MHs on the market ::bigsmile: it's the after sales bit I did not like before they FINALLY admited fault :winky:
Terry

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
Bailey have asked for my motorhome back at the factory so they are responding very well to this now thanks to the video.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
I'll get me damp meter out! :whatthe:

I'd get scuba gear out-almost unbelievable that it be so bad never mind the denial of responsibility

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Then in another twist, Jon&chell reports his Causson has a similar issue that he has repaired himself, although far more difficult to detect than the bailey problem- this however is completely ignored as a problem as his van is French and not British.
:thumb:

Hey Paul! My little bit of water under our rear trims wasn`t as bad as that sunami!!!!!!:Eeek:

Don't you go dissing my non-British van with its lack of any damp problems, perfect dealers, 50yr warranty and even lights that work in the back with the engine running!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

In fact didn't you know that its an NCC standard to build in defects to keep their Approved Workshops busy!:winky:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
If that is the case with the number of Baileys that have been sold why hasn't anybody else made comments about it?

We must have fellow Funsters who own Baileys and whilst this is not a 'whingers' forum it surely is worth a comment. Peter

Well you can now add me to the list! :rain:
I checked a day or 2 after the first post as soon as I could get the drive clear enough to shunt the van around and yes I haven't been left out of the club! :thumb:

Now we've had a good downpour over the weekend it shows the same shower of water exiting from the rear of the cab doors underneath the van. Shining a torch up from the bottom of the vertical shaft between the cab and the hab section show water droplets all the way up to the roof where they've left a trail on the way out. There is no evidence of water inside the roof lockers or behind them so . . . :Confused:

I called my dealer last week and today I've emailed them with a cc to Bailey confirming the problem. The dealer hadn't come across the problem but after contacting them again today I will probably wait until after the NCC when the people who matter are back at base before taking it in. Will keep you posted.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Update

Took the van back to the dealer last week having emailed the video link beforehand and I never really got an answer on what discussion they had had with Bailey, only that they were to investigate the problem. Also [STRIKE] showered [/STRIKE] showed them my own video taken the day before. I'll post it if I can get it to work on here.

We haven't actually had much rain here since but I spoke to them this morning and I quote .....

"as I thought water had come in one of the front luton pod caps, (small triangular bits right at the front) this water then settles in the base of the pod until the vehicle is moved then exits buy the vertical B pillar.

The fix is simply removal of both caps ,full clean and refit, this has been
done and tested twice with no more swishing sounds or water exiting the
side pillars."

Seems like a vulnerable point on the van which needs very careful attention at the factory to ensure the seal is 100% before delivery to the dealer. If it is as simple as that then my thinking is if that's all that's going to go wrong on a new vehicle then I'll settle for that, in all other respects it ticks all the boxes for us.

The van is still there for another, this time, very minor job for which they're waiting matching parts so I shall await it's return with interest.

Any update from pete4x4 yet?

Edit: video not loading, will try again.

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
".................
"as I thought water had come in one of the front luton pod caps, (small triangular bits right at the front) this water then settles in the base of the pod until the vehicle is moved then exits buy the vertical B pillar.

The fix is simply removal of both caps ,full clean and refit, this has been
done and tested twice with no more swishing sounds or water exiting the
side pillars."

Seems like a vulnerable point on the van which needs very careful attention at the factory to ensure the seal is 100% before delivery to the dealer........."

Cynical me thinks if they can't seal the vulnerable outside pod caps at the factory, how good is the sealing of the rest of the van underneath?

Allan

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I looked at a new Bailey recently and wondered if Bailey knew there was a problem as they have changed the offending corner mouldings in the new vans.

Lunarman

Attachments

• approach_big_04 (Medium).jpg
    approach_big_04 (Medium).jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 41

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Certainly can't see any problems elsewhere on the van, certainly not underneath and the roof leak doesn't go near any timber.

They've had problems with their new caravan as well, my neighbour has one and there is a leak around the front LED lighting strip which they are repairing under a recall.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Manufacturers could save a lot of trouble by simply supplying every motorhome sold with a complimentary umbrella!::bigsmile:

Yes, Haggers, even the French and German manufacturers too, but not Chausson!:reel:

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
Mine is on its way back to the factory as we speak.I will update when I know anything.

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
Mine is on its way back to the factory as we speak.I will update when I know anything.
I dont think mine is the side pods as they have been reattached with sikaflex a while ago

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
[HI][HI"as I thought water had come in one of the front luton pod caps, (small triangular bits right at the front) this water then settles in the base of the pod until the vehicle is moved then exits buy the vertical B pillar. ][/HI][/HI]

Thats interesting, but what about the rust which will now be present - & spread - inside the the (probably) unpainted sections?

If it was my van I'd want to know what steps are being taken to dry out & protect them.

Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
[HI][HI"as I thought water had come in one of the front luton pod caps, (small triangular bits right at the front) this water then settles in the base of the pod until the vehicle is moved then exits buy the vertical B pillar. ][/HI][/HI]

Thats interesting, but what about the rust which will now be present - & spread - inside the the (probably) unpainted sections?

If it was my van I'd want to know what steps are being taken to dry out & protect them.

I've got no concerns on that score, It's built on an aluminium framework with no timber in the upper body panels which are GRP outer with a GRP inner lining. There is no contact between the area where the water lays and the overhead lockers because the water sits in what is an isolated GRP area with an outlet down the shaft in the B pillar.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I've got no concerns on that score, It's built on an aluminium framework with no timber in the upper body panels which are GRP outer with a GRP inner lining. There is no contact between the area where the water lays and the overhead lockers because the water sits in what is an isolated GRP area with an outlet down the shaft in the B pillar.

It's the steel B pillars I was refering to.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

I would want to see inside there to make sure :thumb:can you visit the factory and see the offending parts being assembled ?
terry

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
It's the steel B pillars I was refering to.

I would want to see inside there to make sure :thumb:can you visit the factory and see the offending parts being assembled ?
terry

You can actually look up inside the pillars to the section where the water lays, the column is almost wide enough to get your head in and that's where I saw and took pics of the water droplets showing where they'd exited down the shaft.

I'll certainly ask questions when I collect the van but that shaft is open enough to dry out on a short run from any previous water ingress , it appears to be coated and there is no bare metal to worry me. As for going to the factory in Bristol I'll reserve that option until I see the results of the repair job. :thumb:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Had mine back a couple of weeks and checked again this morning since Pete's post and my roof tank is empty. :Smile: Dealer told me that whilst the seals looked good they found a bead of sealant hanging in one of the cavities, maybe the finish of one and start of another tube but enough, given the position on the front, to allow water to flow in from the runoff. :Blush:

Edit: Becks Motorhomes at Rollesby, can't fault the way they dealt with the problem plus another minor thing whilst it was in. Offered me transport to get home which I didn't need but pleased with the reception and end result.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back