Bailey 620 Approach and weight (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We are about to have our first trip to France on 1 June (yeah I know timing!) and are in the process of packing. We are taking two normal town bikes, a 13kg and 6kg gas bottle, full water and deisel. The van has a 120w solar panel and a Road Pro satellite dome as well as a conventional motorhome terrestrial ariel. It has had a tow bar fitted but part from the above that is it.

We are being cautious about the amount of clothes, food and drink to take and simply have no idea how close we will be to the payload limit when we go to the weighbridge for the first time on Wednesday. Any tips, ideas and information gratefully received.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Worry AFTER the weighbridge visit.

Whatever payload the manufacturer quotes, in common with all manufacturers, won't be accurate.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Why bother taking any food and drink? (apart from teabags obviously)

It's France, not some remote outpost. There are shops and supermarkets everywhere you go.

The other thing, if you have payload issues or concerns, is water. Unless you're going somewhere where you know for certain you won't be able to get any why bother travelling full? It's 100kg plus of weight you don't need to be dragging around.

We usually travel with less than a quarter of a tank, enough to last overnight on the off chance we can't get any when we arrive, but we've never been unable to fill up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Few of us know how close to the payload we are first time out. The dealer's stated payload is often a bit of poetic licence so all you can do is go with what you've done already, full tanks, empty waste, enough clothes as you'd take on any holiday and basics in the food cupboard plus dinners for a couple of nights. After your weighbridge visit is the time to start worrying about travelling with empty water tank if necessary or, looking on the positive side, adding a few extras.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I went to fill with lpg this morning. While I was there had a look at an newer version of mine but a 1900cc tdi. Assumed it was 3500kgs but turned out to be 2800kgs :eek:
I'd already looked at the substantial towbar , at least 20 kgs. It had a dometic roof a/c unit , another 35- 45 gone.It had no diesel in nor was the water tank filled. it weighed 2685 on the bridge.:LOL: I t would have done me a treat being the extra metre longer but on 3500kgs chassis it would have worked. This would be overloaded as soon as you filled up with diesel.:(

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Don't know if its any help but see my post Bailey Weight good news, you can see what we included for our weighbridge visit. Sorry don't know how to link to the post.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
To all including Bailey58- thank you very much for this information. Fully loaded today we weighed in 400kg under limit. So we are well happy.
To assit anyone else, my first post contains what we're carrying. To this, add two frazzled adults but no dog!

Thank you all. We are slowly getting the hang of everything and looking forward to our first trip abroad.

Last edited:

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Now you can enjoy your first trip abroad, you will love it and soon wonder what all fuss was about with trying to get sorted for the first time. We are now really enjoying our first trip in France even doing northern Spain with no pre planning!!!! Have had no issues with fuel shortage in France and whilst in Spain made sure we filled up as price was significantly cheaper. Have still to meet our first funster not met one in the 7 weeks of our travels so far.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Well, we've had our first two nights in free aires-one in Montreuil, one in Nonancourt and now on a French Passion site near Orleans. Certainly less stressful driving than in the UK; probably due to much less traffic but also,we found drivers tolerant of when we were in the wrong lane or drove slowly looking for a corner.
Now need to buy a French gas bottle and figure out the regulator thingy we need, apparently. I'll search the forums.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back