bad news from Merc. re: blown engine

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jacken, Sep 3, 2009.

1. jacken

jacken Read Only Funster

Hi,

Had a letter from Mercedes Germany to-day saying basically that they won't help with costs towards the new engine I had fitted in Spain recently. They state their reasons as: 1. it had a chip fitted which may have contributed to the damage, 2. the engine was 5 years old and 3. that the van had 2 owners. The chip was not fitted by me but was on it when I bought it. To recap: my engine blew whilst in Spain this summer and I had to pay 11,000 euros for a complete new engine. They only said the chip may have contributed, not that this was the cause.

So there you are, all you with chips fitted out there: learn from my expensive lesson.

ken

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Bummer !!!!!!

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Damn - perfect get-out for them.

So if they throw doubt on the chip ( was it a chip or just re-flashed ? ) then how about writing to the chip people - even slimmer chance but it costs little.

4. kickstart

kickstart Funster

You would think that you would have a case,not fit for purpose and all that but they probably have it covered with disclaimers and the like.... and if it was fitted before you bought it bad news all round. :shout:

5. vwalan

vwalan Funster

the sprinter as always had a bad name . i wanted one when they first came out but was soon told by my friends in germany to stay away. sorry to hear your bad news ,hope your replacement is a good one. cheers alan.

6. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

I wonder how many of the hundreds of people who have holed pistons on the merc have heard the same rubbish from merc

7. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Try the consumer action group website, they help out with all sorts of things perhaps someone might be able to help you there xxx sorry I am not knowledgeable on engines

Its a free website that has helped people with lots of problems.

8. hilldweller

You wouldn't think so reading this forum - "I'd like one on a Merc, good they are" all the time.

Like the other one "Wow Harley Davidson, they are the best bike in the world, aren't they".

And, "you never get shot for buying IBM." though I don't think you can any more.

9. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Hi Ken
    This is/was the expected result
    Do not give up yet
    You now have the opportunity to point out that this problem is a well documented and known fault caused by faulty injectors, not as a result of the chip/re map
    it has happened to hundreds of mercs with no alteration to the ecu
    I would inform them it is your intension to challenge the findings in a civil court and will be asking the court to make them produce the history of this engine and of this known fault.
    Offer them another chance to reconsider making a contribution, and point out that if this is rejected you will be going for the full amount, get a solicitor to write on your behalf, this wont cost a lot
    you can then decide based on the response he gets whether to take it any further
    Geo

10. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

while camping in london recently had an AA man come and park near me for a couple of hours while he awaited his next call out
    we discussed vehicles used for motorhomes and his take was that whereas fiat engines seem to be bombproof the current merc sprinters are a bundle of trouble .....so maybe I should be happy that the possibility of gearbox problems on my 2.8 fiat is the lesser evil

11. tincan

tincan Read Only Funster

An old pal of mine once told me that since he sold his boat he had no need for a Harley. When I queried this, he told me that he no longer needed an anchor.

Noel

12. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

That sounds worth a try.:thumb:

13. johng

johng Read Only Funster

bad news this :( , very sorry..

now now
    :Rofl1:

14. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Keep pushing don't fall at the first hurdle, what year did these sprinter engines first put in an appearance? can anyone tell me.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  15. hilldweller

Quite right.

Fiat would have done FA about juddergate but for the pressure and power of the internet.

16. hilldweller

You may say that I could not possibly comment :RollEyes:

17. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

18. JumboBeef

JumboBeef Read Only Funster

I (sometimes) drive a Sprinter at work which is 7 years old, has covered more than 200,000 miles, most of which at 90+ with very hard driving/high revs from cold, and it is still on it's original engine. This is in addition to our other Sprinters (with less mileage but with the same hard driving) which are also still going strong.

I've always found them to be very good.

19. vwalan

vwalan Funster

well i must say some of the merc range seem good but i think they went down hill with the bigger sprinters .if you had the vario or the early 8i4 vario style mercs ok .there as been continuing problems with mercedes over the years with the sprinter . also the mb 100 but that was g,box trouble. shame they never admit it though. cheers alan.

20. jacken

jacken Read Only Funster

Many thanks for your replies and ecouragement. I will take Geo's advice and keep on to them as per his post. I will let you know the outcome.

ken