Bad news for the Western Isles?

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by derekfaeberwick, Aug 2, 2009.

1. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Mr MacNeil said: "Many constituents have raised with me the growth of camper van numbers, not just on ferries but as an issue in the islands.

OR

"While camper vans are welcomed on the Western Isles, this is a management issue."

which is it.......we're welcome or we're not?:Doh:
    typical politician :Angry:

3. alf

alf Read Only Funster

Quote;
    Mr MacNeil said: "Many constituents have raised with me the growth of camper van numbers, not just on ferries but as an issue in the islands.
    "In some cases, it's an environmental health issue, as some places have no facilities to deal with these numbers. ( this would be the odd one or two ??)

It would seem that the MP is raising the doubts of his constituents
    these would be the ones not getting any direct benifit there will be the
    No Overnight Parking for Motor Caravans next year every time we have been we have never got the feeling we were not welcome quite the opposit in fact in the north west you can identify locals by the way they do not give way on single track roads this does not apply on the Western Islands the locals give way and wave.

Alf

4. slickmouse

slickmouse Read Only Funster

What a dick

5. keith

keith Funster

There is an uprising in the islands because CalMac decided to run ferries on a Sunday. Could this be a reaction to this? :Sad:

The locals fear the bad weather they have been experiencing is directly attributed to "The wrath of god because of the Sunday ferries"

See this report Tornado wreaks havoc in Stornoway | UK news | guardian.co.uk

We get blamed for eveything. :Eeek:

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

you'll be telling us next they burn coppers in giant wicker dolls as a way to appease the gods....:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

7. duetto owner

duetto owner Read Only Funster

they might provide some aires to camp on

8. jezport

jezport Funster

The paper has it wrong. A MH of between 5M and 8M is not the same price as a car. A MH of upto 5M is the same price, not many MHs will travel for the car price!

9. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

I know that was the case, I hoped that they had changed it when I read the paoer, hey ho!:cry:

10. chewy

chewy Read Only Funster

Simple (s) like we all know it could be: provide some aires (waste management) and we'll contribute to the local economey. (nearly typed connery there..read it as french not Sean)

11. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Found this such a biased article I have invited the MP to join us on a motorhome trip!!!!

Also gave a plug for motorhome fun xxxxxx

12. jezport

jezport Funster

We are heading up to the Western Isles on the 9th of August. Hope the weather is better then

13. jezport

jezport Funster

I have posted a comment on their website

14. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Love your post on the newspaper website Jez xxxx

Come on funsters, lets give this MP the facts xxxxx

15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We all know that newspapers never let the truth get in the way of a good story so I wonder how close to the facts such a short article is.

I'm interested in the quote "In some cases, it's an environmental health issue, as some places have no facilities to deal with these numbers" and I wonder if the real problem as a result of increased numbers is brought about by those who bring us all into disrepute by indiscriminate disposal of waste.

I e-mailed Mr MacNeil for clarification last night when I first saw this thread. I'll post the response when (if) I get one.

Graham

16. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

The truth !!!

I have a cousin who runs a pottery business on Lewis, I have e-mailed her to find out what the locals really think..Watch this space..

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  17. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I agree, reading between the lines there is more to this and it's maybe not PC to publish.

Look forward to hearing from a local..

Jim

18. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

I think rightly so too though Sunday sailings are nothing new with CalMac, (i used them two years ago to visit the Hebrides and they were doing Sunday sailings then).

The Hebrides are (thankfully) quite different to mainland UK and Sundays there are basically a day of peace and calm. They call it the Sabbath and visitors are asked to respect this. Their churches are filled to capacity each Sunday with locals turning up via means of all kinds of transport. I even witnessed a group of leather clad biker guys at one church complete with Bible in hand....something which mildly amused me for a few moments.

Many years ago, Sunday was also considered 'a day of rest' here on the mainland with no shops open (or very few), but now thats long gone and i'm not sure it has been for the best.

As for this MP complaining about 'an invasion of camper vans' due to CalMacs price reductions, he should concern himself more with the environmental destruction and permanent eyesore the proposed windfarm on Lewis will cause. But then that will undoubtedly make a few selective people, not to mention certain MP's and Council officials, extremely wealthy.

CalMac fares have always been quite expensive due to their smaller turnover of traffic when compared to cross channel ferries, but as an example, when i sailed back from Barra to Oban the ferry was almost empty and i was talking to one of the stewards onboard. He told me the overall running cost of just a single trip was in the region of £10k and with the few passengers they had that day, they would be running at a loss.

The lowest fare available for a mh/campervan is still set at 5 metres so a small campervan or m/h is the best vehicle to use.....plus of course the majority of the roads are not suited to bigger mh's.

Whilst on Lewis i spotted this sign on a gate to a childrens playground......something you would never see on the mainland as the local brats would undoubtedly rip it off, but there, even the children respected 'The Sabbath'.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  19. jezport

jezport Funster

Lets have a few more, and then let Mr Mc Neil have a read. I would be quite prepared to meet him when I am there.

20. alf

alf Read Only Funster