Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
With my new sprinter based van I find I have a tendency to leave the indicators on too long, as the ticking noise is very faint (Me going deaf???) and easily missed with the bangs and crashes in the van and engine noise. The indicator warning light are green an dim right behind where my hands are so in daytime I do not see them.
A buzzer is the answer, I think but the electrics on these are a trifle complicated and the wiring and fuse box is difficult to see let alone access. Has anybody else had this problem and how did they get over it?

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Indicators on too long..I wish my husband would use the ruddy things! If I were behind him he would get some very rude gestures and a blast on the horn. All joking aside ours are fairly quiet too and the stalk is very sensitive , sometimes we indicate left, then right and maybe even left again if they haven't self cancelled and hubby has to adjust manually. Probably won't do anything about it, better to have them on too long than not at all .....back to my husband again!!!!

XRN

Oct 10, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
We are no longer Newbie's.
With my new sprinter based van I find I have a tendency to leave the indicators on too long, as the ticking noise is very faint (Me going deaf???) and easily missed with the bangs and crashes in the van and engine noise. The indicator warning light are green an dim right behind where my hands are so in daytime I do not see them.
A buzzer is the answer, I think but the electrics on these are a trifle complicated and the wiring and fuse box is difficult to see let alone access. Has anybody else had this problem and how did they get over it?
I have the same problem, surely a buzzer can't be that difficult to wire in?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Maplins do a small pizzo buzzer that draws little current.
wire one across each of the feed wires that go to the indicator lights in the dash

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Maplins do a small pizzo buzzer that draws little current.
wire one across each of the feed wires that go to the indicator lights in the dash
Buzzer is not the problem, it is the printed circuits and canbus electrical system that are, laso getting the speedo out looks horrendous, I am hoping the relay for the new towbar might have an extra warning device in it to tell me if the bar lights are operative, it sits under the left seat.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I am hoping the relay for the new towbar might have an extra warning device in it
Well you should be ok....towbar wiring has to have a warning buzzer/bleeper in the indicator circuit BY LAW unless there a secondary warning light on the instrument cluster.
On my car the 7 way canbus bypass relay is in the boot so i cant hear it anyway but under the seat should be audible.
Mine is a seperate buzzer, not part of the relay.

Last edited:
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I'm none too familiar with this canbus effort, but current is current. There are CMOS (ultra low current) buzzers on the market that can be driven by an LED or perhaps more easily by a splicing unto the wires feeding the indicators (diode in series from each to the positive of the buzzer to make an OR equivalent)?

Maplins FL40 T draws 30mA at 12v, a couple of 1N4001 diodes, couple of metres of suitable wire, splicers and a plastic box, all less than a tenner

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Top Tip - If you carry out the Hand-Signal at the same time, you'll rarely forget to cancel (y)

transport-drive-driver-driving-auto-right_turn-dcrn496_low.jpg

Vadre Smith

Free Member
Feb 8, 2016
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Same problem for me.
I bought a couple of cheap buzzers on eBay then removed the rear light fittings and linked them into the indicator bulb cables using scotchlok connectors. Pop the buzzer into the bodywork and it can be easily heard from the cab.
Need one for each side.
They also provide a useful warning when reversing the van if you put the hazard warning lights on.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Found an easy place to fit it. outside fibreglass front panel going to the indicator repeaters on both sides. Sheltered spot, dry and I can get to the wires and stick the buzzer to the panel. Should still hear it inside alright. Anything is better than the silent ticking they have on them, Can also be heard outside for pedestrian warning purposes.

Sep 23, 2014
weston s mare
Funster No
MH
frankia A class
Exp
Our van is based on an 07 sprinter chassis and like you I found that were my driving position is the indicator lights cannot be seen So I fitted 2 new warning light's where I can see them and a buzzer in with it, solved

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back