Bad English (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
I thought only subscribers to eBay used the following. But seems it has crept into the forum.
Brought this for my house/car etc last month. Bringing and buying, are two different things. If they brought it, what means of payment did they make?

Any other use of bad grammar except reducing everything down to abbreviations as in thumb talk.
Ian S

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You may want to look at the last part of Rule 1 on this forum

"Be aware that Spelling and grammar pedants are never nice, correcting other members spelling or grammar even in jest is strictly forbidden"

See more here from @Jim

Just because people have problems with spelling and grammar does not mean they should not be able to express their views.

This is Motorhome Fun not Facts :D

PS Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009

"Be aware that Spelling and grammar pedants are never nice, correcting other members spelling or grammar even in jest is strictly forbidden"

See more here from @Jim

Just because people have problems with spelling and grammar does not mean they should not be able to express their views.

Well said PE(y)

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Bestest English I ever hearded. (y)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I think this is OK, it isn't pointed at anyone directly, it's just a general rant! :D
To which I wish to add, the use of Their, There and They're
Their: It belongs to them
There: A location, eg. it's over there
They're: Contraction of they are, eg. They're having chips tonight!

[Edit]
Actually scrap that, my least favourite actually appears more on Facebook than anywhere else. Failure to distinguish between Loose and Lose. Someone recently referred to me as a looser, I have no idea what that means, perhaps he was suggesting that I untie knots for a living :D

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

See more here from @Jim

The op was not criticising either spelling or grammar, more use ing the wrong words , spelt correctly and in the right place but the wrong word:)

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
i just thought the title was an accurate generalism!

but generally the strict use of grammar, and incorrect usage of words is something i am sad about, as is the encroachment of text speak into general correspondence. and did anyone see the news this morning with the new words being included in the dictionaries.......

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The one that gets me is someone in a cafe or shop saying , can I get , no you can't the person working in the shop gets it , you can have one but you can't get it.

I don't get it........

...........lots of meanings:whistle:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The one that gets me is someone in a cafe or shop saying , can I get , no you can't the person working in the shop gets it , you can have one but you can't get it.
See I'm doing it now saying it , gets me, should be annoys me , I suppose.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Actually, there having a curry :rofl::rofl:
Surely It doesn't matter as long as the post can be understood. It is a fact that some people cannot grasp the intricacies of the english language no matter how hard they try.

You are spot on there.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Apologies to PeterC10. Had no idea there were rules on the forum for this. Just saying not much fun in funstors. If what you are reading winds you up.
So az anyfink goes an nobodies gives a muck. Will axe der fingers oft roight nah, an reefrain from Kommenting any fuver.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
i just thought the title was an accurate generalism!

but generally the strict use of grammar, and incorrect usage of words is something i am sad about, as is the encroachment of text speak into general correspondence. and did anyone see the news this morning with the new words being included in the dictionaries.......

New words? So many TV programmes can't even get the old words correct.
A news report yesterday evening made some reference to a resturant which is now in the hands of a new restauranteur. Even the subtitles got it wrong.

It's often heard coming from the mouths of people who should know better.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
for me, its personal satisfaction of getting it right, and years of writing letters and reports which need to be to a standard. An old boss had an adage that anything you write had the ability to end up in court and you wouldn't want to be embarrassed.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Pinched from elsewhere :)

If its good enough for the BBC, and if you can read this without laughing, you must be devoid of laughter cells......

This was originally shown on BBC TV back in the 70's. Ronnie Barker could say all this without a snigger, though God knows after how many takes.

The irony is, BBC received not one complaint.
The speed of delivery must have been too much
for the whining herds.
Try getting through it without converting the spoonerisms [and not wetting your pants] as you read.......

This is the story of Rindercella and her sugly isters.

Rindercella and her sugly isters lived in a marge lansion. Rindercella worked very hard frubbing sloors, emptying poss pits, and shivelling shot.
At the end of the day, she was knucking fackered. The sugly isters were right bugly astards.. One was called Mary Hinge, and the other was called Betty Swallocks; they were really forrible huckers; they had fetty sweet and fatty swannies.
The sugly isters had tickets to go to the ball, but
the cotton runts would not let Rindercella go.

Suddenly there was a bucking fang, and her gairy fodmother appeared. Her name was Shairy Hithole and she was a light rucking fesbian. She turned a pumpkin and six mite wice into a hucking cuge farriage with six dandy ronkeys who had buge hollocks and dig bicks. The gairy fodmother told Rindercella to be back by dimnlight otherwise, there would be a cucking falamity.

At the ball, Rindercella was dancing with the prandsome hince when suddenly the clock struck twelve. "Mist all chucking frighty!!!" said Rindercella, and she ran out tripping barse over ollocks, so dropping her slass glipper.

The very next day, the prandsome hince knocked
on Rindercella's door and the sugly isters let him in.. Suddenly, Betty Swallocks lifted her leg and let
off a fig bart. "Who's fust jarted?" asked the prandsome hince. "Blame that fugly ucker over there!!" said Mary Hinge.

When the stinking brown cloud had lifted, he tried the slass glipper on both the sugly isters without success and their feet stucking funk.
Betty Swallocks was ducking fisgusted and gave the prandsome hince a knack in the kickers. This was not difficult as he had bucking fuge halls and
a hig bard on. He tried the slass glipper on Rindercella and it fitted pucking ferfectly.

Rindercella and the prandsome hince were married. The pransome hince lived his life in lucking fuxury, and Rindercella lived hers with a follen swanny!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
14900603_10208964179234923_3939979695711868313_n.jpg

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We also have contributers (spilchuck doesn't like that, should it be 'ors' ?) who are dyslexic and at first scan you think What on earth ... ? but if you read it slowly, the text makes perfect sense and you can easily understand what the person means.

Used to set my hackles rising to see spelling and grammatical errors and such things as 'very unique' which are simply incorrect - but I've calmed down a lot in my later years. Now it's only business letters which contain such aberrations which annoy me.

I have learned to ask myself the question, 'Whose blood pressure and blood glucose both shoot up from the stress - yours or the one what writ it?' and concluded a long time ago that it simply isn't worth punishing my health, by getting stressed about such things!

Perhaps you would do well to make the same enquiry of yourself next time YOU start getting annoyed !

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Language evolves... always has... always will.

"Brought" is used instead of "bought" in the West Country all the time.

If folk worried about poor grammar or spelling here on Fun hardly anything would get posted.

What I think is really horrible though is "Text Speak".

How I hate that.

Almost as much as I HATE - "simples", "crimbo" "tinternet" and "interweb".

Posters using these abominations are crossed off my Christmas Card List instantly!

Just saying

JJ :cool:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
My favourite hate(is that an oxymoron?) is when the BBC News reports

"a man was found guilty of murder in the Crown Court today".:(

No he didn't kill anyone in the Crown Court!

"In the Crown Court today, a man was found guilty of murder!" :)

That's much more better.:whistle:

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
I thought only subscribers to eBay used the following. But seems it has crept into the forum.
Brought this for my house/car etc last month. Bringing and buying, are two different things. If they brought it, what means of payment did they make?

Any other use of bad grammar except reducing everything down to abbreviations as in thumb talk.
Ian S

If you're going to criticise the spelling and grammatical composition of others posts, then make sure your own is perfect.
Otherwise, you just end up looking a complete ----

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back