Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
One Drive ? First few Gbites are free. I now pay £1.99 per month for 100Gb. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
For Windows I always used Acronis. It made things so easy to make regular auto backups as well as painlessly and quickly recover the whole system after the inevitable malware infections and slowdowns. Recover files, and or restore a disk partition in minutes and have your fast PC back. (y)

On the mac I use a similar program called Carbon Copy Cloner

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
As per the link above, the restore your files feature should work in more recent versions of windows. I've nominated a second HDD as the place to keep the restore details.

If your e-mail is IMAP (web based) then it's stored externally on the mail server. Worth checking on where mail archives are stored on your computer if you do that.

This issue is a current one for us as the wife's laptop's CPU went PHUT yesterday and it's as dead as a doornail and beyond economic repair for its age. Fortunately the HDD was recoverable and I'm backing up and transferring as I write, using a HDD enclosure/interface. Never assume the drive is useless just because the computer's failed.

As far as backup is concerned I've always preferred to do it manually. If you make regular copies of My Documents, My Videos, My Photos, My Music, and your browser bookmarks, plus keeping restore your files switched on I reckon that's about 99% of it covered.

The other thing that's especially handy is to make a copy of all the essential software you use onto a USB stick. Basically just copy everything from the installation CD (or download folder) into a named folder on the USB stick, for example MS Office, Photoshop, Dreamweaver etc. Then if you have to set up a new computer from scratch you're not faffing around with finding discs and so on.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
One Drive ? First few Gbites are free. I now pay £1.99 per month for 100Gb. :)

And, of course, you can access your files from anywhere, providing you have an internet signal. Personally, I think it is great. Anything you put in the OneDrive folder gets mirrored. :xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Mac plus Time Capsule. :reel: :LOL::LOL:

With the built in Time Machine it's all automatic. It backs up continuously via wi-fi without you having to do a thing.
Only problem is that when I use other software or Windoze I keep forgetting to 'save'.

Richard

Deleted User
And, of course, you can access your files from anywhere, providing you have an internet signal. Personally, I think it is great. Anything you put in the OneDrive folder gets mirrored. :xThumb:

I don't........it pinches all your data when permanently on metered connections.......as I found out to my cost:xsad:

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Anything you put in the OneDrive folder gets mirrored. :xThumb:
Whatever you choose be please be aware of the difference between mirroring and backup
ie "mirroring" is just an exact copy of your current files and a "backup" is a copy of your files at a specific point in time
This is important as a corruption-type problem could mean your "mirror" could just be full of perfectly copied but broken files
I'm an IT DR Manager for a living and that's why we use mirroring for short term convenience and proper "point in time" daily/weekly/monthly etc backups for Disaster Recovery.
You can never have too many backup safety nets of your important stuff !! :xsmile::xsmile::xsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back