Back Up Sat Nav

Discussion in 'GPS Navigation' started by Madmag, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Madmag

Madmag Funster

I asked previously about the Chinese Truck Sat Navs but reading all the comments and links from that decided not to bother. We have a TomTom Go Caravan Sat Nav which I have been happy with when using through France & Spin with a caravan. There were a couple of occasions though, around (and through) Madrid and later around Bordeaux where the Sat Nav got it very wrong!! Now we have a motorhome 7.4m long I am a bit more cautious so thought a back up might be useful. Does anyone know if co pilot caravan is any good or am I better spending a bit more on a truck sat Nav. I would prefer the back up to be on iPad. Or maybe just stick to Tom Tom , common sense and maps. Thanks

2. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

We used to use Co pilot .. worked fine.
    Currently have a garmin camper ... love it.
    Don't see a need for a back up tbh. The garmin is normaly correct but it's never blindly followed and an element of common sense ensures there's no problems

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I've looked at various sat nav packages on Android but found that they are difficult to assess unless you spend what can add up to a substantial amount to buy the full versions. In general I'm also a bit suspicious of Android apps because they tend to push updates so often (indicating badly written code probably).
    As far as sat navs go I also like purpose built units - much the same as using specific tools of any type.
    By pure coincidence I updated my Sat Nav notes last night.

4. Clarky

Clarky Funster

I use a Garmin Camper 760 as the main unit and generally it is excellent, although every now and again 'Mrs. Garmin' will have a hissy fit and try a daft route.
    As back up I have CoPilot on an iPad mini and between the two we don't have many problems.
    Occasionally Garmin will want me to go through a small town whereas CoPilot will direct me round the bypass, so having both gives you the option.
    The new caravan/motorhome version of CoPilot looks useful for someone who hasn't already paid for the full app. The truck app is quite expensive I think.

Richard.

5. travelling wilbury

travelling wilbury Funster

i use a tomtom XL which has the latest maps and POI files but, as back ip, i still have a very old tomtom one v3 which i keep updated with my POI files and any mapshare changes....although i dont pay for the map updates.

also useful to use in the car.

6. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

And the answer is .....A paper map . No better back up or indeed first choice source.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

Get something on the tablet your wife has, then she can use it to follow the route, work out an alternate or as a back up. I have CoPilot Truck and Sygic Truck, as mentioned the new caravan CoPilot looks a good buy. Benifit of an app is that you can transfer it to a new tablet or phone when the next tech arrives which you would likely have bought for a multitude of tasks.

8. Badknee

Badknee Funster

As a backup I use google on my phone.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Madmag

Madmag Funster

Yes I am perhaps being over cautious, managed for years when we had the caravan both UK and trips through France into Spain. Maybe its just because I am aware of how big the Motorhome is as I am sat in it rather than there being a mass behind us which we could take off if necessary!! Or maybe because its shiny & new!!!.
    Thanks Sallylillian but I AM the wife!! Husband does all the driving, well experienced HGV etc etc whilst I do all the navigating. He has no idea at all as to how any of 'the gadgets' work that is my department. I love maps but found they weren't always detailed enough, hence the introduction of our sat nav. It has only really been used for European travel rather than this country where I tend to just use maps. I have a new iPad so thought I might clear my old one off and use it just for travel, sat nav, maps, sites etc. so was looking for ideas as to the better buys & downloads available.
    Thanks for everyones help.

10. sueandjohn

sueandjohn Funster

we have tomtom and "satnav sue" - this promps angry comments from him in doors like "which b****y woman am I supposed to be listening to? "
    Teehee

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Madmag

Madmag Funster

Sad I know but ours is " Direction Doris!!!"

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I have backup satnavs. In the MH I use TomTom, Snooper, and at present my main one is the chinese cheapy, as I prefer its routing (set to easy and avoid tolls). I do have them all on at once but the sound on one only.
    In case my backup or the backups backup fail I have Here drive on one phone with all Europe maps downloaded, and Sygic on another. ( I also have satnav programs on two tablet PCs but that's getting a bit silly)

Oh I do have a map, its a bit out of date but I only use it to look at nearby places that might be interesting.

13. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Prefer android myself. iGO primo for main and Co-Pilot on another phone just in case. Neither are camper or truck versions. Never had the need to use Co-Pilot yet as iGO has yet to let me down. Oh i also have iGO primo in my tablet as a just in case just in case.

14. Madmag

Madmag Funster

Is iGO an Android app or iOS as well as can't seem to find any details. Thanks

15. ****

**** Read Only Funster

16. Madmag

Madmag Funster

Thanks