Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Hi I Have just bought an old electrolux fridge from an old caravan it is a 212A 3 way I have been assured that it is in full working order and have tested it in the house on 240v.and it works fine
I will maybe only use 240v and 12 v for now . Could anybody explain how I can install this as I have kitchen unit at the back of my transit near rear doors, and not against a sidewall. In simple terms how can I install or have I bought something unsuitable I.E venting etc. Lots of advice in simple terms needed please.............Bruce

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Just nail/fix it to the floor where you want...

If possible put a vent in the back if it is being incased...

"DONT" even contemplate fixing a gas pipe to it and running it on gas, "Without" it being fully vented... :Blush:

Not a lot of heat comes off 240V or 12v... But remember on 12v what ever battery`s you have it will be a huge drain on them.. :Sad:

So would have to be EHU where ever you camped.. :thumb:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Bruce no problem at all if using only 240v and 12v :thumb:240 v is just a simple wiring job and on 12v side you really need to wire it through a relay from the alternator so that it only works while engine is running and it does not flatten your battery :thumb:It's normal to fit a twin relay so that the fridge and the leisure battery both get power/charge while engine is running :thumb:
Do not even try to use gas unless it is properly vented via an outside wall and sealed with drop vents :winky: :Eeek:::bigsmile:
Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
[HI][/HI]
[HI]Do not even try to use gas unless it is properly vented via an outside wall and sealed with drop vents [/HI]:winky: :Eeek:::bigsmile:
Terry

Thats what I said.... :Tongue1::Doh::ROFLMAO:

But I worded it "Better"... :thumb:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thats what I said.... :Tongue1::Doh::ROFLMAO:

But I worded it "Better"... :thumb:

Yes Mo that's exactly what you said and exactly what I typed Acknowledging and agreeing with you first time around :thumb: BUT thenn I was on the tablet and caught a button so it vanished :Doh: so did another shorter version :Eeek:::bigsmile:
terry
BTW you can usuallytell when I am on tablet -not as mant spelling mistooks and my end sig istarts with a capitol T :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
when it comes to venting ( if you really want to ) a vent in the floor under the rear of the fridge is ok for a lower vent and doubles as a gas drop out.
for the upper vent you can use ducting to get to the side of the van although the gas exhaust will have to follow its angle to the side of the van so could be quite high (not a problem if there is a cupboard above the fridge) or i thought i saw somewhere they do a roof exit for a fridge (could be mistaken on that one but worth a google)

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Irrespective of using LPG, 230v or 12v an absorption fridge requires venting.. this is not to get rid of fumes but to enable a flow of air over the heat exchanger to remove heat .. If you seal it into a cabinet it won't work.

If only using 230 or 12v it could be vented to the inside of the van but this won't be very efficient and in summer it will certainly overheat and stop cooling.

As mentioned the bottom vent could be in the floor .. and the top one on the back door which would incorporate the flue gas vent..

The fridge should be sealed into a cabinet in such a manner that in the event of a fault, LPG or combustion fumes, ie Carbon Monoxide (the silent killer ) cannot enter the living area.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
In one of my vans the fridge was simply wired to 240 and 12v NO gas and no vents :thumb: it worked fine :Smile:plus it heated the wardrobe above it which came in handy as a drying place ::bigsmile:
It was only after I connected gas that I needed the fridge sealed and both drop, and rear vents :Smile:
Sometimes things just work O.K. even though logic says different ::bigsmile:
Terry

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back