Back to a Tourer again?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Dave and Ginny, May 18, 2016.

1. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

We love our old Hymer to bits...but as we get older the question of how to be mobile once at your destination would seem to be resolved by towing!

Ginny can no longer use her bike safely due to a medical condition that sadly now makes it just plain dangerous for her to risk using it. Having Wintered in Spain for the first time 2015/16 we know that we want to be heading for the sun again later this year. I've considered a smart car, but the issues of towing in Spain with car and trailer which you then have to find space on a pitch for seem less than ideal. We also end up leaving a car sat on the drive at home costing us money and rapidly depreciating.

We had a quick look at around a local Caravan dealer yesterday and were quite pleasantly surprised by what is available at reasonable prices. A couple of Sterlings were particularly nice with fixed beds and what seemed like huge bathrooms. It seems you could pick something quite reasonable up for about 12k and just a few years old.

I'm less convinced about this than Ginny; but I cannot deny that logic would seem to suggest it would be better for us. I reckon I could pick up a decent van and choose a suitable tow car for something under 30k without too much difficulty.

Am I going mad or what?

• Like Like x 7
  2. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

No, you're not going mad, just being practical. Life changes and just like adapting when you have children, you have to think about adapting as you get older.
    Don't rush into anything. I usually make a pros and cons list.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Phillybarbour

Phillybarbour Read Only Funster

Of course your not mad, your choosing the option that best suits your needs. To me they are not the same thing anyway. Motorhome for touring around, Caravan for staying is sites.

ps had a caravan for 10 years before motorhomes.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

It makes sense I think as long as you are ok about towing. I have thoughts along the same lines for when I retire but I think I will store the van abroad to save all the tugging.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Mi58ck

Mi58ck Read Only Funster

I'm going to change as well,we seem to be staying on one site for more than 3days at a time now so we think car and caravan is a better option

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mel

Mel Funster

Just done the same.
    I miss the motorhome but spending more & more time on campings .

Might buy a Mercdes Marco Polo to have he best of both worlds.

Enjoy whatever is best for you.
    Mel

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Not mad at all. We chose a motorhome rather than a caravan as neither of us has towed and we didn't fancy it. If we come to the stage of needing transport when away, though, we will probably get a caravan rather than give up.

• Like Like x 3
  8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Not mad at all.. whatever suits.. there are a few who also tug with a PVC .. best of both

• Like Like x 3
  9. Bluemooner

Bluemooner Funster Life Member

Wife wanted to go back to a caravan in the end we got a Fifth Wheel and love it

• Like Like x 2
  10. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

It's what best suits you.
    Have similar issues re wheelchair use and trying to find aire close enough/on easy terrain, but also love the travelling and wild camping opportunities that MH gives.

• Like Like x 7
  11. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

We have done both and it is horses for courses, whatever works for you, I did not enjoy the towing experience and all the faff of setting up and clearing away, especially in the rain, but a caravan was better when set up and the tow car was there to use.
    I really enjoy driving our motorhome, and the minimal set up time, so will stick with it until our priorities change.

• Like Like x 2
  12. jonsea

jonsea Funster

Bought a caravan in Spain of a English couple and left it in storage, came home was going to buy a car but bought a La Strada pvc will see how it goes John

• Like Like x 3
  13. chaser

chaser Funster

Have you looked at renting a villa or apartment, or whatever, if you are thinking of staying in one place, might be cheaper than tugging and site fees.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

We deliberated for a long time as to which would suit us better. In the end the MH won as dealing with water and waste is easier in a MH as is setting up. So far it's been good. Will know more after our Polish trip. Whatever you choose, be happy.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

I've had a couple of tourers in the past, a Compass and a Swift and I was never unhappy towing or reversing. Might be a bit different now I'm getting older but the motor mover seems to have made pitching up a bit easier these days.

Yes, the faffing about putting corner steadies down, aqua roles etc do put me off I must admit. More so the loading issues with all the stuff that needs to go into the towing vehicle. The load limits are quite off-putting as well and on the vans we looked at averaged around 200kg :eek:.

On the plus side there seemed to be lots of internal space on vans of only about 7m length and the layouts were very welcoming. There seemed less variation with internal layouts than for a motorhome...so choosing would seem to be a bit easier.

Need to look into the construction side of things...some (we were told by a salesman) now apparently use a wood free construction method.

Lots to think about. Thanks for the feedback...more positive comments than I was expecting!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Debs

Debs Funster

We had caravans for 20 odd years but love the mh....wouldn't want to change back but would if need be.

Good point about the renting an apartment if it's mainly for winter in Spain, I think @simsy56 has gone down that route :)

Main thing is - enjoy!

• Like Like x 3
  17. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

We have already used airbnb when the kids visited and just chose one where there was parking for us. Very cheap compared to any other rented accommodation.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Bailey now employ a wood free construction called Alu-Tech http://www.baileyalu-tech.co.uk

Personally I'd be looking at continental vans such as made by Hymer / Eriba ...

Many years ago my dad had an Eriba Puck.. tiny little van .. we used it a few times and were amazed at how easy it towed, lots of for space on such a small van.. but no toilet or shower.. and too small for long term..

Dutch built caravans are also well worth considering..

would stay well away from anything with a timber frame..

• Like Like x 1
  19. Candapack

Candapack Funster

Or keep the MH and hire a car when you get where you're going. It can be surprisingly inexpensive in Spain.

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Not mad just accepting change and adapting.
    Must admit we keep looking at caravans, can see us eventually ending up with one especially when we start to stay at one place longer.
    Motorhome works at the moment as we are constantly moving but if that changes caravan makes much more sense.
    Good Luck (y)