LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Just back from three odd weeks in France. First time in many many years where it was just Lyn Me and the dogs in the RV No children! Haha!!!

Travelled mainly on the Autoroutes to save time, preferring to tour around a bit in the areas we were interested in rather than use the National routes all the time.

A worrying feature was the number of height barriers on the French Aire fuel stations. Our RV is dual fuel petrol and LPG and we hold about 200 Litres of both so we have a decent range, but our friends travelling with us in their Winnebago had to start looking for a Aire with fuel without a height barrier between 1/4 and 1/2 full just in case.

A worrying development! if this trend increases. We could see 3m barriers across the forecourt yet the canopies tended to have height signs in the region of 4.2m! Daft!

Out of 25 nights in France five of them spent on motorway Aires which offset some of the toll charges. I wish our services were a patch on the French Aires. Water, shops, often dump facilities, grass! excellent.

I do wish that more British people would use them without the irrational fear that they are more at risk on an aire than anywhere else. It does make me chuckle when you see a couple asleep, in a convertible car, parked for the night on an Aire with a blanket over them, parked next to some grass with motorcyclists asleep on a picnic blanket and their jackets over them and we think that the Aires are unsafe!:ROFLMAO:

Used the new Tom Tom Camper Live found it great, spot on for traffic hold ups and calculated arrival times to the minute. This, despite me not understanding how it could take 2 hours to do 100km! :Eeek:

Once I actually got off the motorway to drive the last bit through the Ardeche to get to the site in a 32' RV it became clear though:ROFLMAO:

KVH worked in the Ardeche, the Camarque and the Cote d'azur whcih was good, bad was that my Sky+ box packed up! so that was slightly annoying but not the end of the World.

My friends had a blow out on the way to the ferry in England, and another on the way to the ferry about 30km from the Med at the end of the holiday.

We had four Sevylor Colorado inflatable kayaks between us to use, which worked very very well, we used them a lot. We have a couple of portable compressors which inflated the kayaks in a few minutes so we really could get them out and on the water at a drop of a hat.

I know that I could use a manual pump, but equally I could take a tent and not bother with a motorhome, and frankly I prefer toys to work!

Refused autogas only once in the North of France by a knob head who refused to activate the pump as he believed that we would use it for cooking. What that had to do with the price of potatoes, I have no idea. No one, any where else gave a moments thought to which tank we or our friends were filling.

Actually at one station, we managed to fill the petrol, the LPG for road use and the LPG tank for the RV without moving off the pump, while the attendant "chatted" about our dogs to Lyn.

Found the site in the Ardeche very strange and a bit "Deliverancey" but kayaking and swimming in the river was superb the dogs loved it. Lots of people in square plastic tents who complained about everything.

To be honest after a couple of days messing around with the kayaks we did what most folk did, and bought a couple of decent inflatable mattresses and laid on them in the river tide to a rock or a branch and snoozed. This way you were in/on the river and the current did all the work, but we were getting bored. The site was just too quiet, with just too many strange goings on! so it decided that better things and places awaited us!

When we left the Ardeche we stayed here for a week http://www.campingespiguette.fr/ For a three star site it is pretty amazing but if you try it out make sure that before you find a pitch, that you check where the nearest water tap is as they are far and few.

But, to be honest there are plenty of toilet blocks, so it isn't too bad, however, the whole point of a motorhome is to have "home from home" comforts and after a few days with no water and the hassle of moving everything to drive off the pitch to get water made us restless for a move.

Actually the lack of water and the fact that there is a fantastic water feature, but no swimming pool and the beach is about 1km wide (not long) so a major route march across the sand when you fancied a swim left us restless again.

Then we got lucky! a site that I have tried loads of time to get into, had one space, a medium pitch. A medium pitch that they suggested would be big enough for our 32' Gulf Stream our friends 30' Winnebago both with city water and waste, our mates 2 man tent, four inflated kayaks, and six bikes!

The staff were very helpful, even arranging towards the end of our stay for the local vet to come to us for their jabs as "between the two families you have four dogs, it is in the vets interest to come to you"

The details of that particular site though I will keep for another day:winky:

So back at work now, and it seems we were never away already!

Eddie:winky:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Don't you just hate it when that happens - every time. Worse for you workers ( keep it up we need your contributions ) you have to wade through all the business glitches.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Glad you had a good time Eddie. It's been wall to wall sunshine here since the day you left:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I'd noticed a few 3M barriers at filling stations. I imagine it is to stop the lorries coming into the car part of the station. Large vehicles should not have a problem as there is always provision for lorries, however the only large vehicles that don't run on diesel are some RVs and there is usually no petrol pump in the lorry section. I can see this is a problem for petrol (and probably LPG) RVs.
Most Euro vans are around 3M but if you have a roof box or whatever you can always use the lorry pump if you squeeze carefully :Smile:

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
I'd noticed a few 3M barriers at filling stations. I imagine it is to stop the lorries coming into the car part of the station. Large vehicles should not have a problem as there is always provision for lorries, however the only large vehicles that don't run on diesel are some RVs and there is usually no petrol pump in the lorry section. I can see this is a problem for petrol (and probably LPG) RVs.
Most Euro vans are around 3M but if you have a roof box or whatever you can always use the lorry pump if you squeeze carefully :Smile:

At French supermarkets there are sometimes height barriers on one or two entrances and none on another. It's very often worth looking around for an alternative entrance.

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Sounds like you had a great time in France Eddie.

With regard to the height barriers, I have found this also. In particular last year coming across the border into Spain I was nearly empty as had hung on to get cheaper petrol in Spain. All the filling stations in La Jonquera had height barriers. Eventually I found one that i could drive onto the HGV filling and reverse round the back of the shop into the petrol/motorists filling area....much to the cashiers alarm.::bigsmile:
He was also surprised to see us filling with petrol but then realised why we could not enter normally or exit as we had to drive back round the shop to the HGV area again to exit. :Doh:

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Sounds like a nice trip, the only thing that I know about the Ardeche is that Nigal and Nippy Singh had a restaurant there. I am in shock, I just googled them for an update and found that Nigel Farrell is no longer with us. For anyone interested here is the link.:cry:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obi...v-radio-obituaries/8822928/Nigel-Farrell.html
I'm sorry to read this. For some reason I was thinking only recently about him and his restaurant and what happened to it. I saw most of the TV series and loved "Nippi" Singh's dry sense of humour: "Are you saying the estate agent's details didn't say 'not suitable for Sikhs'?" (that wasn't racist by the way, it was to do with the room needed to fold a turban)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Perhaps RVers could use a modified waste dolly to fill up with petrol and trundle it over to the RV to fill up :roflmto:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Just back from three odd weeks in France. First time in many many years where it was just Lyn Me and the dogs in the RV No children! Haha!!!

We had four Sevylor Colorado inflatable kayaks between us to use, which worked very very well, we used them a lot. We have a couple of portable compressors which inflated the kayaks in a few minutes so we really could get them out and on the water at a drop of a hat.

I know that I could use a manual pump, but equally I could take a tent and not bother with a motorhome, and frankly I prefer toys to work!

Found the site in the Ardeche a bit "Deliverancey" but [HI]kayaking and swimming in the river was superb the dogs loved it.[/HI] Lots of people in square plastic tents who complained about everything.

The staff were very helpful, even arranging towards the end of our stay for the local vet to come to us for their jabs as "between the two families you have four dogs, it is in the vets interest to come to you"

The details of that particular site though I will keep for another day:winky:

Eddie, Ive seen your dogs, they're without doubt "smart dogs",

.......that said, I do not believe they go kayaking..........no way, no sir..........:roflmto: :ROFLMAO: :roflmto:

...shoot.......not even the dogs from Deliverance could do that!

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Not wearing the boat out then Eddie, fantastic weather in Poole last few days !

I am back on a berth right opposite the quay now:thumb:

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back