Back feeding using BBQ point on Gaslow - Warning! (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Well I did all last Winter in Spain without any issues after seeking the views from other funsters that is was an acceptable practice. But a couple of days ago noticed a very slight smell of gas in the locker and it turned out to be from the end of the connector for my propane cylinder. Now it should not be necessary to have the cylinder connected because there are one way valves built in. But I now have it official from Gaslow that the effect of reversing the flow can result in the valves failing to seat correctly.

I was already aware that Gaslow recommend using the remote cylinder hose 01-4500, I was just not aware of the implications of the 'back-flow' process.

IMG_1612.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That would occur whenever one cylinder was disconnected. The fact that you were using the BBQ connector - which is connected to the appliance side of the on-board regulator anyway - is a red herring.
I can see what you are saying however I must admit personally I don't like the thought of feeding gas back into the bottles using the BBQ point - this is meant to be an outlet for the gas not an inlet so you are making it go the opposite way from what it, and the regulator, were meant to allow and designed for.

As regard the cylinder when it is disconnected it should seal but if the seal has been made to act in a way it wasn't designed, ie having gas 'forced' back into the bottle via it rather than only out through it, I can understand that it might cause it to be compromised/damaged.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think the op was using the bbq point to feed gas to the appliances not back into the bottle but I would never have trusted the non return valve to stop all the gas if there was no cylinder attached personally!!
Yes but I suspect in the past he's used it with the cylinder attached, hence it being 'asked' to do something it wasn't meant to.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
What is back feeding? Can someone explain please and why you would want to do it.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you need to buy gas in other countries the regulators are different so its hassle taking out all the stuff in the gas locker only to replace when in the uk same if have refillable but parked up for a long time. So some buy a local cyl and regulator to feed gas at low pressure into their system and the easiest access is the bbq point if you have one.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
That would occur whenever one cylinder was disconnected. The fact that you were using the BBQ connector - which is connected to the appliance side of the on-board regulator anyway - is a red herring.

Not according to Gaslow as there are two valves in the manual changeover that prevent the flow of gas in the wrong direction. They say that the action of back feeding from the BBQ point that is on the low pressure side of the regulator is sending low pressure gas in the opposite direction through the regulator to the manual changeover assembly and it's that which results in the valves failing to seat properly.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
close the gas-low cylinder valves then you are only feeding the system with regulated gas pressure
bill

When I bought my set up from Gaslow it came with the single cylinder and the connection to enable a Calor Gas propane cylinder connected. They did not supply the Calor cylinder and there was never mention of the need to have one connected.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
When I had my gas tank professionally fitted they installed a manual shut off valve to isolate my main tank when I add a bottle to the BBQ point.

I would never run a gas bottle to a BBQ point on a gaslow system with one of the gaslow bottles removed. Its a case of belt and braces with LPG, you cant take risks or hope for the best.
Personally I think that all gas installations should be signed off by a qualified person. Its easy enough fitting yourself but as proved here the OP thought it was safe to operate the system with a bottle missing. A qualified installer would have explained everything and as mine did he fitted a valve to prevent back flow or pressure towards the tank.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
this is what i am going to do later this year.
isolate the onboard tanks from the low pressure internal pipework by inserting a straightforward on/off valve after the bulkhead regulator.
fit an external gas point (barbeque) to the low pressure internal pipework.
use local gas cylinder with regulator on top and low pressure hose connected to the external gas point.
simples!

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
So what are the views with regard to an additional shut off valve on the hose to the external BBQ point? I don't have one there and I have often thought perhaps there should be.

I'm also going to look at acquiring a blanking cap of some description to replace the Propane hose from the manifold of the manual changeover assembly when I'm not carrying my Calor Lite cylinder.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
So what are the views with regard to an additional shut off valve on the hose to the external BBQ point? I don't have one there and I have often thought perhaps there should be.
It should have it's own manifold/isolation tap, just as other appliances in the MH have.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Why use the BBQ point when Gaslow have a solution of using the remote cylinder hose 01-4500, cost about 17pounds?

Only issue I can see is that the Gaslow tanks do need to be empty or thereabouts.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Why use the BBQ point when Gaslow have a solution of using the remote cylinder hose 01-4500, cost about 17pounds?

Only issue I can see is that the Gaslow tanks do need to be empty or thereabouts.

I think the hose is a great idea, except for the fact that the vehicle tank needs to be empty!

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp

I think the hose is a great idea, except for the fact that the vehicle tank needs to be empty!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
why not carry an empty 6kg propane weighs next to nothing presumably you have one as a spare just turn the cyl valve off if theres any left in and you want to save it or use a smaller propane with the same thread. When I fitted our gasit they pointed out the non return valve only works against a big gas escape so the lp gas might not shut it fully.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
why not carry an empty 6kg propane weighs next to nothing presumably you have one as a spare just turn the cyl valve off if theres any left in and you want to save it or use a smaller propane with the same thread. When I fitted our gasit they pointed out the non return valve only works against a big gas escape so the lp gas might not shut it fully.

I normally do carry one but we're in Spain for the Winter and it's not worth it as the space beside my 11kg takes the BBQ. I've had some advice from Gaslow and along with the tips here will make a couple of mods when I get home next year.

The purpose of my post was just to make others aware of the possible 'side effects' from back feeding via the BBQ point.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back