Back Box warning Sign

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Mr Colpot, Jul 14, 2014.

?

Do you have a warning sign on your backbox (if you have one!)?

Poll closed Jul 17, 2014.
  1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

I am getting conflicting information regarding fixing a warning sign on the back box on the Motorhome. It sticks out 40cm past the rear lights and we are off to France/Belgium/Luxembourg/Germany next week.

Looking at a couple of sites eg Caravan Club and Gem - it looks as if I dont need one, but other forums say I do.

I am struggling to to get one which I can fix without drilling the box which I am loathe to do so would rather not put one on if I dont need it.

I expect I will get conflicting replies but hey ho!

2. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

In the UK it comes under "Overhanging loads". So long as the load, in this case your back box, doesn't extend the rear of the vehcile by more than 1 meter - then there's no legal requirement. Anything more than a meter, then there are requirements.
    http://assets.highways.gov.uk/speci...elines/A_brief_guide_to_overhanging_loads.pdf

Other EU countries have differing requirements. In Italy, the sign has to be of metal construction (not the plastic Fiamma sign). Spain was thinking of bringing in similar requirements - although not sure if anything has happened yet.

For the sake of quiet life, and a sign costing less than a tenner, I'd fix one - using Velcro (y)

3. longdog

longdog Funster

Good advice for peace of mind Gizmouk, but what about all those cars and 'vans that carry all those bicycles on the back? They all hang off the back for more than a metre and you can't even see the number plates or the rear lights on some.

By the way, anyone want a Fiamma Ultra box?

4. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Don't pretend to know the answer but surely there is some adhesive available that will bond a lightweight sign to a flat surface?

5. JonMac46

JonMac46 Read Only Funster

My backbox is fitted to the bike rack as we never use that. I then used cable ties to attach the metal sign to the
    bike rack above the backbox, inserting a plastic grommet so the metal doesn't cut the cable tie. Done 7,000 km so far... .

6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

the sign must be situated on the point furthermost from the van i.e. on the Box itself or you are defeating the object. Spain in particular requires such a sign on any projection, bike rack, motorcycle or whatever.

7. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Would that include rear mounted spare wheel (original Equipment) ?

8. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Ask the Spanish government, I am not qualified to answer that one, hee hee however I assume not.

9. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

We just came back from France and Spain and i was told it was a requirement in Spain to have some sort of warning triangle on anything that overhangs the existing body of the van - i purchased a roll of red/white sticky backed hazard tape from Screwfix and did a big triangle (about 15" inches) on the Ultrabox 500 - the tape was only a few nicker and you get quite alot of it.