wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Has anybody had any experience with fitting baby seats to the benches in a motorhome, we want to take the grand kids with us but we got bench seats
in the back rather than the dinette so it may be a problem, any ideas Thanks Rob:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
When I fitted one donkeys years ago, I constructed a steel frame in the seat box bolted through the floor and attached a lap belt (which was what the child seat was designed for). This was to a rear facing dinette seat so there was a fairly solid bulkhead behind the seat. Probably the safest seat in the van by a long way.:Smile:

OP
OP
wasp

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
My problem is that I don`t have a dinette, only bench seats this is my dilema:Smile::Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I thought it was unsafe to fit a childs car seat sideways on , in anything.
Im sure i have read it somewhere.
Also if the lounge is in the rear of the motorhome the front facing bit of the u shape lounge ( if thats what you have ) would be over the wheels. In the crumple zone.
If the seats are at the front end , could you fix something up behind the drivers seats ? So it would be rear facing. I dont know the layout of your van Im afraid , and nothing came up on google. Someone else may be able to help.

OP
OP
wasp

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Yeah thanks for that the seats are at the front behind the driver and passenger:thumb:

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I don't think I would risk putting a child seat in anything but a 3 point seat belt. It amazes me that firms are still making 4 berth motorhomes with only 2 travel seats. When we were looking for a van it really reduced the choice as I wanted travel seats in the back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
As Jim stated the child seat should be secured by a 3 way proper seat belt.

The seat is designed to be forward facing, unless it is one of the specific "baby" seats which are designed to be placed in a forward facing seat with baby facing backwards.

I would not put child seats on the transverse bench of a rear lounge.
If you are "rear ended" the child would be trapped in the area of the impact with potentially fatal consequences.

Our little fella (3 years) sits in his chair, on a three point belt, on the forward facing transverse double bench seat of the dinette at the front, behind the driver. The seat has two "authorised" seating positions with fixed 3 way inertia belts. We also always remove the table when travelling so freeing up the space around the child seat making very easy access, in case you have to get him out the seat quickly in an emergency.

If you have longitudinal benches behind the driver and cab area you may be able to make a satisfactory fitting of a 3 way belt at the end of the bench, facing forward. It would have to have solid anchor fixings though, and make sure the bench seat is level (some bench seats are raised at the front where your legs hang over) so making sure the child seat is not tipping to one side.

More child seat info here, but not MH specific.

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back