Baby seats

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by wasp, Jan 8, 2012.

1. wasp

wasp Funster

Has anybody had any experience with fitting baby seats to the benches in a motorhome, we want to take the grand kids with us but we got bench seats
    in the back rather than the dinette so it may be a problem, any ideas Thanks Rob:thumb::thumb::thumb:

2. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

When I fitted one donkeys years ago, I constructed a steel frame in the seat box bolted through the floor and attached a lap belt (which was what the child seat was designed for). This was to a rear facing dinette seat so there was a fairly solid bulkhead behind the seat. Probably the safest seat in the van by a long way.:Smile:

3. wasp

wasp Funster

My problem is that I don`t have a dinette, only bench seats this is my dilema:Smile::Smile:

4. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

I thought it was unsafe to fit a childs car seat sideways on , in anything.
    Im sure i have read it somewhere.
    Also if the lounge is in the rear of the motorhome the front facing bit of the u shape lounge ( if thats what you have ) would be over the wheels. In the crumple zone.
    If the seats are at the front end , could you fix something up behind the drivers seats ? So it would be rear facing. I dont know the layout of your van Im afraid , and nothing came up on google. Someone else may be able to help.

5. wasp

wasp Funster

Yeah thanks for that the seats are at the front behind the driver and passenger:thumb:

6. golly

golly Funster

I don't think I would risk putting a child seat in anything but a 3 point seat belt. It amazes me that firms are still making 4 berth motorhomes with only 2 travel seats. When we were looking for a van it really reduced the choice as I wanted travel seats in the back.

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Child seats are designed to be used with full lap/diagonal seat belts, if you don't have then you either have them fitted by a professional... or forget about it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

As Jim stated the child seat should be secured by a 3 way proper seat belt.

The seat is designed to be forward facing, unless it is one of the specific "baby" seats which are designed to be placed in a forward facing seat with baby facing backwards.

I would not put child seats on the transverse bench of a rear lounge.
    If you are "rear ended" the child would be trapped in the area of the impact with potentially fatal consequences.

Our little fella (3 years) sits in his chair, on a three point belt, on the forward facing transverse double bench seat of the dinette at the front, behind the driver. The seat has two "authorised" seating positions with fixed 3 way inertia belts. We also always remove the table when travelling so freeing up the space around the child seat making very easy access, in case you have to get him out the seat quickly in an emergency.

If you have longitudinal benches behind the driver and cab area you may be able to make a satisfactory fitting of a 3 way belt at the end of the bench, facing forward. It would have to have solid anchor fixings though, and make sure the bench seat is level (some bench seats are raised at the front where your legs hang over) so making sure the child seat is not tipping to one side.

More child seat info here, but not MH specific.

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/standards/r4403.htm