B564 roof advice please

Discussion in 'Hymer' started by HomerB564, Jul 22, 2016.

1. HomerB564

HomerB564 Funster

Can anyone tell us how strong the roof is? I need to walk on it for cleaning etc.
    Also, if I want to attack solar panels and/or roof rack, can these go anywhere on the roof or are there key areas where its structurally reinforced?

2. Xabia

Xabia Funster

You don't need to worry about the integrity of your roof, I walk on mine to clean it every so often, no problem. Have also fitted Oyster sat dish
    and solar panel, using Sikaflex - everything fine. I took the cables through the roof above the Techtower and that made everything easy.

You can mount them wherever is best, the strength is constant throughout the roof panel.

Mike

3. Figaro

Figaro Funster

I crawl around on my b544 roof trying to put most weight where supported, eg edges. I also do what I can from step ladder and extending brush.
    Overall I think they are pretty strong.
    Not sure about positioning panels

4. SandraL

SandraL Funster

Mine is aluminium outer skin. Yes its strong enough to walk on but you risk leaving dents in it. Put blanket down with board over to spread your weight. Some have fibreglass skin to protect against hail, these might not need these precautions.

5. Manic

Manic Funster

Ok to go on roof but try and stay away from roof vents as you could disturb the seal on older vans, I had this problem after having dome fitted a few years ago, I don't know what size the fitters were but one roof vent leaked a few months after.

• Informative Informative x 1