B564 faulty shower control... any advice please

Discussion in 'Hymer' started by HomerB564, Jul 11, 2016.

1. HomerB564

HomerB564 Funster

The shower has stopped working in my B564. The water pump is ok and pressurises the system when other taps are used. If the shower control is left in open position and another tap is opened (thus activating the pump) the shower works, suggesting no issues with pipework.
    Im guessing the microswitch on the shower control is faulty.

Does anyone have experience with replacing the microswitch or do I need to replace the whole control unit.... the latter would seem very wasteful if its only the switch at fault.

Any help gratefully received... as I desperately need a shower!!! ;)

2. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Yes, you have diagnosed the fault correctly: it is a failed micro-switch in the shower mixer tap. Assuming it is a Reich tap (most are in Hymers) there will be a way to remove the top and access the switch. I suggest you have a look at the Leisureshop Direct website to determine which tap unit you have and then order the switch. hey also provide useful tips on how to replace the switch. If you need more help than the website gives, then phone them - they are very helpful.
    https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/water/caravan-taps/reich-taps/microswitches-for-reich-taps

3. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

@HomerB564
    Yeah I've changed 2 over the past 5 years not a difficult job just a bit fiddily as @JeanLuc suggested I got mine from leisureshopdirect.
    Always carry a spare as well.(y)(y)

4. autorouter

autorouter Funster

On many, you unscrew the lever, pull off the metal cover, and you can see the mechanism held in place by a screw.

As a contingency plan, obviously you could block the washbasin sink tap with tape/foam and tie-wrap and stretch over to reach that. Or one of those small spring clamps you get in DIY stores would be easier to remove when required.

Meanwhile, remember that a switch is just a fancy way of touching two wires together. When the kitchen tap switch failed, I bought a switch from a car parts shop, pulled out the tap wiring spade connectors and wired it in. Stuck just under the worktop, it worked for weeks until the new part finally arrived.

Why don't they use an optical sensor, no moving parts, a million times more reliable, and smaller than a microswitch? Pennypinching, I suppose.

5. HomerB564

HomerB564 Funster

Thanks all (y)

6. Wagoneer

Wagoneer Funster

If you have the Reich Kama model you just carefully prise out the two blue and white plastic inserts on top of the tap. This reveals a screw. Undo the screw and the lever comes off with the micro switch attached.