b2b or a2b sterling charger (1 Viewer)

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
need some help and advice here,I'am thinking of adding either of the above battery charging systems to my van,but which one would be the better choice?
I currently have 2x130amp Trojan batteries and a 90watt solar panel.
We do tend to use a fair bit of battery power so need to be able to recharge faster.:thumb:

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
If you are traveling every 3 or 4 days then I would suggest a Sterling B 2 B charger works well for me.:winky:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
The b2b is simpler to fit, does not void warranty

The a2b is better and produce more power...

Pays your money and all that

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
You have the same setup as we do....2 Trojans and 90w Solar.

Recently added a sterling battery to battery and it works a treat.

Charges faster and can supply 40+ Amps just on engine tickover :thumb:
This comes in handy if you want to use a microwave or hairdryer using an inverter.

Very easy to fit you just need some thick cable, crimps and a couple of in-line fuses.

Ralph.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Forgive my ignorance, but what's the difference.

The A2B takes it's power direct from the alternator output,

The b2b takes its power from the alternator but via the battery,

The A2B will therefore produce higher amp output through electirckery

My b2b does 50 amps

I think John's does something like 100 amps. :thumb:

Mine is fine for my needs,

But hey, Im a nurse, John's an Electrikery worker. :winky:

OP
OP
Red Dragon
Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
:thumb:Thanks Ralph,and yes I know Paul its the cost difference but according to Sterling it does'nt interfere with alternator other than maximising its output,they say(Sterling) it does'nt void the warranty.
As we normally have to journey about 2hours per any destination and can use our 12v system whilst on the the move it would be better for our batteries,just a thought.:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
:thumb:Thanks Ralph,and yes I know Paul its the cost difference but according to Sterling it does'nt interfere with alternator other than maximising its output,they say(Sterling) it does'nt void the warranty.
As we normally have to journey about 2hours per any destination and can use our 12v system whilst on the the move it would be better for our batteries,just a thought.:thumb:

The B2B charger is easy to fit and doesn't void the warranty.

The A2B charger is hard(er) to fit and CAN void warranty claims. Something about utilising part of the actual running gear. I researched it heavily.

If you can live with it, get the B2B its simple.

Organplayer

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sept. 1995
organplayer

Had Sterling b2b charger fitted by Vanbitz. A super bit of kit.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There is a good chance I have the wrong end of the stick here, but I was always under the impression that constant fast charging of batteries was not good for them. I was always told by old school mechanics that trickle charging was best for them. Just goes to show how wrong I have been all these years.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Fast unregulated charging is bad for batteries, but controlled fast charging is very effective with the correct set up

Eddie

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
There is a good chance I have the wrong end of the stick here, but I was always under the impression that constant fast charging of batteries was not good for them. I was always told by old school mechanics that trickle charging was best for them. Just goes to show how wrong I have been all these years.

Useful article Link Removed on the subject.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Useful article Link Removed on the subject.

Thanks for the link, but unfortunately its from the company selling the product. Just as a point of interest has anyone checked the temp of there batteries whilst charging at 50/80/ or more amps with these fast chargers. From my experience fast charging makes batteries gas and when they gas they get hot. A very dangerous situation indeed in a motorhome were there are naked flames. Please dont think I am being difficult, but these fast chargers go against everything I have learned over a lifetime of battery care. There is a great possibility that I am wrong but if am right then it could save someone's life.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
The B2B has two temperature sensor connections (sensors are extra unfortunately) that monitor the temps of the terminal on the hab and leisure batteries seperatley - and cut out charging when either goes over a pre set level, i think this level is set by the battery type selector on the unit itself so presumably is set to a 'safe' level...but that is a presumption of course so may be wrong::bigsmile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
In all honesty, for a non biased review.

The only thing that has really peed me off about the b2b charger is,,,,,,

I never got one sooner :Doh:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
In all honesty, for a non biased review.

The only thing that has really peed me off about the b2b charger is,,,,,,

I never got one sooner :Doh:

Thats as maybe Paul and I don't doubt it does seem a good bit of kit. But that does not answer the question, have you checked if your batteries are getting hot when charging at 80+ amps ?. If they are getting hot then they are gassing and if so are VERY volatile. If they are not getting hot then I would consider the purchase of this machine myself.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Thats as maybe Paul and I don't doubt it does seem a good bit of kit. But that does not answer the question, have you checked if your batteries are getting hot when charging at 80+ amps ?. If they are getting hot then they are gassing and if so are VERY volatile. If they are not getting hot then I would consider the purchase of this machine myself.

Dave, the Batteries do not overheat.

I can't really say it any simpler. Maybe Jon as in (Jon& Chell) or Eddie Vanbitz will help you out.
It regulates the tempreture of the batteries to ensure they do not cook. It's a far from simple piece of kit its actually very intelligent.

I have some other pieces of Mr Sterling's kit and it does all it says it does.

It actually does the opposite to cooking the batteries, it conditions them.

I have not used a generator in all the time I have had it bar some hair drying in the Alps.

i also have a NASA BM1 which monitors the batteries input, output, tempreture, time to charge, time to discharge. A very posh expensive bit of kit, So I know the gumph that Mr Sterling says is happening in my van. Be happy to show you it all when your about.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I will add my opinions this evening when I have access to a keypad big enough for my fingers!

Bloody phones!::bigsmile:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
The B2B has two temperature sensor connections (sensors are extra unfortunately) that monitor the temps of the terminal on the hab and leisure batteries seperatley - and cut out charging when either goes over a pre set level, i think this level is set by the battery type selector on the unit itself so presumably is set to a 'safe' level...but that is a presumption of course so may be wrong::bigsmile:

You are correct about the sensors but they were supplied with the one I have just fitted, the leads have ring terminals fitted and one end is the sensor, from memory one lead fits to the alternator casing the other to the leisure batteries, the leads are marked and also tell you which end to cut if you need to extend them.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
No they dont get hot.
Best thing we have ever bought for the MH . That and the Nasa , which does exactly what it says on the tin.
The only downside is getting wound up now when people arrive on site , park up next to us and put their genny on straight away for hours . :ROFLMAO:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
No they dont get hot.
Best thing we have ever bought for the MH . That and the Nasa , which does exactly what it says on the tin.
The only downside is getting wound up now when people arrive on site , park up next to us and put their genny on straight away for hours . :ROFLMAO:

Not wishing to appear stupid {but cant help it}

What is a Nasa

Mel

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Not wishing to appear stupid {but cant help it}

What is a Nasa

Mel

Link Removed
Hope this link works, it will give you an idea.

All i know about it is that it gives Ralph great pleasure watching it and turning things on and off whilst saying " brilliant piece of kit that " :ROFLMAO:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Great it works the link that is.

I tried to google Nasa how stupid of me.

Thanks

Mel

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I don't watch t v any more.I watch my nasa :Smile:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp

This is all gobbledy gook to me , but it might explain to you why its not dangerous.

Link Removed

What with the webasto diesel heating , trojan batteries , nasa and B2B our motorhome is slowly turning into a boat.::bigsmile:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Link Removed
Hope this link works, it will give you an idea.

All i know about it is that [HI]it gives Ralph great pleasure watching it [/HI]and turning things on and off whilst saying " brilliant piece of kit that " :ROFLMAO:

I seem to have developed the same perverse pleasure with our BM-1....:Blush::Blush:

:Smile:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
OK here we go!

I hope to give an honest, unbiased appraisal of both systems, speaking from practical experience of both. Armchair experts, stand aside!!!!!!:winky:

Both units achieve the same aim. They provide an accelerated 4 step intelligent charge to your habitation battery.

Firstly, I will say if your van is in manufacturers warranty, don't fit the A to B unit. I did, but I knew there would be no problems and I am skilled enough to quickly remove it if I had to!

The B2B unit is an ideal choice if you have a smaller battery bank, Gel or sealed lead acid batteries. The 45 amp output will not cause issues with these battery types. Absorption times are are set by the software via the selector switches anyway, you can't blow up batteries provided you set the unit correctly!:Eeek:

The B2B, as mentioned above is the choice for simple installation and for those vans in warranty or with smaller battery banks. It is simply connected between your starter and habitation battery using heavy cable in the sizes prescribed on Sterling's site. You should also place an isolating relay between your habitation battery and habitation electrics to allow the B2B to correctly sense and charge the hab battery.

Only you can be the judge of your required charging rates, but the minimum absorption time for an open lead acid battery is 1 hour. A 45 Amp B2B will replenish 45 Amps per hour of engine running. You need to do the maths to calculate how long YOUR battery bank will take to recharge! Remember, you can discharge traction batteries to 80% (11.66 V)with no problems! 80% of your battery capacity, divided by 45 will give you your rough recharging time!:thumb:

The A2B charger is a good solution for larger battery banks. It diverts ALL the surplus alternator output not being used by the automotive electrical system to your habitation battery bank. This will decrease charging and engine run times. We can recharge our 345 Ah battery bank from 80% discharge within 3 hours. A B2B would have taken just over 6 hours!:Eeek:

You should buy the unit which exceeds you alternator rated output. For example, our Transit has a 150 Amp alternator, we have the 160 Amp A2B charger.

To know if your chassis electrical system is capable of interfacing with the A2B unit, you need to have an intimate knowledge of the base vehicle's charging and starting circuits.
Essentially, you are intersecting the alternator's output cable with the A2B unit. In charging circuits, the alternator output cable could be connected to one of several places. On our Transit, the cable is connected to the starter motor solenoid, the solenoid is connected to a bus-bar in the engine bay fuse box, this in turn is connected to a cable which runs to a large fuse on a bus-bar next to the starter battery which, in turn, is connected to the starter battery! On other base vehicles, your alternator output could go straight to the starter battery via a fuse, YOU need to know!:shout:

On our Transit, I intersected the alternator output by disconnecting and insulating the existing output cable. The A2B output for the starter battery was connected to the charging/ starter fuse all with 35mm cable.

The A2B has the advantage in that is has a habitation battery sensing connection. If your habitation batteries are remote from the A2B charger, you can connect another cable which senses the habitation battery voltage. If there is any voltage drop caused by the long cable runs, the A2B unit compensates by increasing its output voltage.

Another advantage of the A2B over the B2B is that if your existing electrical system charges both your habitation and starter batteries on hookup, it won't switch on unintentionally! Both our vans, fitted with a B2B, have done this in the past. Both had CBE electrical systems just like your Rapido!

You might find that you also need a fused ignition live connecting to your alternator's output to make the A2B 'wake up'! This is covered in the A2B manual!

Fitting an A2B is NOT for girls! The rewards are huge if you are an off-grid aficionado, but you need to know what you are getting yourself into with the installation!
You need to be knowledgeable, competent AND have tools for making quality heavy duty leads. If you are paying someone else to fit it, beware a hefty bill, copper cable and labour ain't cheap!

Oh yes, and you still need that hab battery isolating relay mentioned earlier!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!:Smile:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
I have the dyno batts with the b2b unit and recently installed bm1, mainly because I can get Jon to fit it and he recommended them, looks like I am not a complete geek by watching the bm1 :winky:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I have the dyno batts with the b2b unit and recently installed bm1, mainly because I can get Jon to fit it and he recommended them, looks like I am not a complete geek by watching the bm1 :winky:

When are you calling around to settle your account?:roflmto:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Its in the post just need your address, as I dont know where you live::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back