Free Member
Jun 4, 2013
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
One year
Can anyone throw some light on using a "blank" key to unlock the steering lock and not allow the car to be started?

I understand that one A frame supplier suggests this is the way to go but I cannot fathom if the blank needs to be with/without chip in key. I have sourced both types on web. Also when the word BLANK is used does this mean just that, or does it need the grooves in the key, or is that what actually allows the car to start.

IF the key has chip and connects to the ECU will there be any problems? Likewise if the blank unlocks the steering what is the situation if the "proper" key is used to lock the door (with the blank in place)
:helpsos:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Basically a blank key will need cutting to turn the ignition swith, but not actually switching the igniton on, thus releasing the steering lock, so the toad will go round corners with the m/h. You will be able to lock the car with the original key (recommended) so if and when you stop for any reason the toad cannot be entered by any opportunist scrote!
Hope this helps,
cheers, Dave:thumb:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Bang On Davejen, beat me to it...........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hillbum

Hillbum

Free Member
Jun 4, 2013
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
One year
Basically a blank key will need cutting to turn the ignition swith, but not actually switching the igniton on, thus releasing the steering lock, so the toad will go round corners with the m/h. You will be able to lock the car with the original key (recommended) so if and when you stop for any reason the toad cannot be entered by any opportunist scrote!
Hope this helps,
cheers, Dave:thumb:

Thanks, but does the "blank" need the chip in it?

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
You will probably find that a the second (spare) key which comes with such cars is just a key and not the push button type which activates the central locking.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Toad key

Hi

Somone has suggested you can get the blank keys from ebay for as little as £3.

What happened with us is when we bought the Aygo auto we negotiated a 3rd key from the dealer. What would normally happen is they get the blank key for your car then they chip it to match your keys.

If you get them to provide the blank unchipped the key will turn in the lock sufficient to unlock the steering wheel and if turned far enough to turn the engine over. However because the key is not chipped the engine will not start because the immobiliser is not deactivated by the key.

As already said you lock the car with a normal key.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Hi

Somone has suggested you can get the blank keys from ebay for as little as £3.

What happened with us is when we bought the Aygo auto we negotiated a 3rd key from the dealer. What would normally happen is they get the blank key for your car then they chip it to match your keys.

If you get them to provide the blank unchipped the key will turn in the lock sufficient to unlock the steering wheel and if turned far enough to turn the engine over. However because the key is not chipped the engine will not start because the immobiliser is not deactivated by the key.

As already said you lock the car with a normal key.

Hope this helps.

Doug

We got our 'non-chip' key from Timpsons. The biggest problem we had was in confirming thay's what we wanted::bigsmile:

We went this route so that we wouldn't have to leave a working key in the car (Nissan Pixo). When we purchased the car, we asked the dealer if they could remove/disable/break the steering lock but they said that wasn't possible.

Malcolm

OP
OP
Hillbum

Hillbum

Free Member
Jun 4, 2013
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
One year
Thanks for all the advice.
1st problem is to chase up Toyota dealer for second key, never mind a third!!
When we PX'd a Nissan for the Aygo they insisted on having two keys but could not provide for us. They have ordered one, but that was 3 weeks ago. One grumpy visit tomorrow.
:thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
My spare key which I use when towing my 107 went faulty while we were away in Ireland.
Car would not start so called out rescue , he fiddled for ages, then suggested we try main key and "bobs yer uncle" it went.
I suggest you get a new key from dealer and ask them to un match it so it unlocks steering but does not de activate immobiliser:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back