Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
i 'think' I've roughly worked out the effect on my axle weights from adding a scooter and rack to the rear of my 6.5m motorhome (I have enough payload) using the online calculators

The new axle weights are now showing as

Front 1585kg (previous 1624kg) (max 1850kg)
Rear 1566kg (previous 1368kg) (Max 2000kg)

Both are well within limits and the load front to back on the chassis seems evenly spread but what effect will it have on the handling?

I am a total novice on such things son any advice greatly appreciated

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I would take it to a weighbridge to check actual axle weights.

OP
OP
Big Nick

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Yeah but I'd like a rough idea before I buy the scooter and rack!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well it looks like you are hanging 160 kg on the back of the van, possibly 130 for the scooter plus the tow bar, this is more than the nose weight for a standard caravan/nose weight set up so just make sure that is OK for the tow are/back of van other than that I would expect the steering to be a bit lighter but as long as everything is within limits it should be OK.

Martin

OP
OP
Big Nick

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Well it looks like you are hanging 160 kg on the back of the van, possibly 130 for the scooter plus the tow bar, this is more than the nose weight for a standard caravan/nose weight set up so just make sure that is OK for the tow are/back of van other than that I would expect the steering to be a bit lighter but as long as everything is within limits it should be OK.

Martin

Hi Martin

Yes that's the weight of the scooter and Alko scooter rack I'd been looking at.

I don't think the Alko rack is towball mounted but bolts onto the Alko chassis but I could be wrong!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Handling will be fine - you will still have more weight on the front than the rear (unusual for a heavily laden MH). You'll possibly feel a little 'pendulum' effect but even that will have no (or negligible) effect on handling.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
I bought a 125 bike from @Jaws & fits garage don't even know it's there. It's behind the rear axle obviously but not hanging off the back of the van. I still reckon to weigh your van before you buy,even for peace of mind .

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Starting off uphill on a loose/slippery surface it won't grip quite so well. I've fitted a couple of 100 amp-hour lead weights near the front to compensate.

And, of course, drifting crossed-up round tight corners won't require so much gas, but handbrake turns will require a bit more effort.:whistle:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
It should be possible to do a mathematical calculation because you have to take in the fulcrum effect on the back axle, it's not just a dead weight calc, I'm sure some tech wiz will be along soon. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back