axle weights

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by PORKSTER, Jul 27, 2015.

1. PORKSTER

PORKSTER Funster

Just been to weighbridge and the reading were as follows front 1790 middle 1460 back 1150
    Thats with van fuel tank and water tank full basically all we need to go away except food.

the weight plate reads like so from top to bottom 5500 4500 1- 1870 2-1500 3-1500

now on my log book it gives weight as 5000kg so that leaves me with 600kg to play with ?
    and why the 5500 and 4500 figures anyone any idea on that please thanks

2. errpaul

errpaul Funster

The figures on the weight plate don't seem to match your v5.
    The 5500 is the max train weight, so motorhome plus trailer.
    the 4500 is meant to be you mgw. So thats the one that the log book states as 5000.
    the other 3 are axle weights from front to rear

• Like Like x 1
  3. rosalan

rosalan Funster

4. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Did you have the whole van weighed - as in all axles on the bridge at the same time? That will give you your total weight as currently loaded. It should be the same as the sum of the axle weights but since yours has a twin rear axle, I wonder whether there might be a small variance.
    In the absence of a total weight, the sum of the axle weights you have stated is 4,400 kg which gives you 100 kg to play with. I assume all passengers were on board when you weighed the van? If not, I suggest you may have no spare for food and possibly not enough for all passengers - if there is more than one more to add.
    This assessment assumes that your plated weights are correct and that the van has not been uprated. If it has, there should be a revised plate somewhere, otherwise your maximum GVW/MAM is 4,500 kg.

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

The rear axle weights dont sound right...1460kg and 1150kg.

As they are flying in close formation (i suspect less than a meter apart centres) i would expect them to be a very similar loading....not a 300kg difference.

• Like Like x 2
  6. PORKSTER

PORKSTER Funster

yes whole van gave total at end of 4400kg that was with wife on board too and lots of other stuff i could ditch if needed.

7. PORKSTER

PORKSTER Funster

I did wonder that myself

8. PORKSTER

PORKSTER Funster

I cant find any other weight plates anywhere on van but I have a Which motorcaravan test of my van that states max gross 5000kg wiuth a massive 1590kg payload.

9. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

Might one ask what van is in question?

10. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Are you suggesting that your wife is among the list of things you could ditch if needed?
    Brave man!! :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  11. PORKSTER

PORKSTER Funster

Burstner Delfin t821

12. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I have just looked up a T821 on a sale website and it states the MAM as 4,500 kg which matches your plate.

13. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

Having also had a look at the spec for this van it is of course 4500kg. Seems a little odd for a tag axle as most of these are 5000kg.
    It mat be on the Certificate of Conformity there could be room to uprate it, unless it has something to do with the base vehicle chassis,
    assuming that it is a Renault Master. All Ducato s have 2100kg front and two x 1500kg on each of the rear. It also seems odd that a large load imbalance on the rear axles. Do you have a large garage?. The water tank looks to be just forward of the centre axle which would make it heavier.
    Suggest you contact Alko they will be able to tell you if it could be uprated, you could of course tow a trailer for your extras!

Good luck either way.

14. PORKSTER

PORKSTER Funster

clearly states 5000kg on log book so perhaps its been uprated how can i find out ?

Martin it is a Renault Master the water tanks are in garage behind and possibly over axles water tank and waste side by side. lots of other stuff in garage too tables chairs 2x cycles cadac tools etc.

15. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

unless its on a plate or genuine weight sticker, then your V5 is wrong. if you get stopped and weighed, the ministry and police are only interested in the plate, as a V5 is just a piece of paper.
    if the van was uprated previously, then it would have a new plate. check its not in with your paperwork though as some people dont realise its essential to be fitted

16. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

Then I think it is odd that you show such a light axle weight on the rear axle. , but it does not solve the gross weight issue. I think I would be inclined to contact Alko if you do not have their certificate.

17. PORKSTER

PORKSTER Funster

Just had a look through all paperwork no luck best I start removing stuff and get the bride and myself on diets

18. sweetie

sweetie Funster

Just checked my logbook for same motorhome and down as 4500KG.
    Weight plate on side reads same as your plate. As others have said if no other plate stating 5000KG possibe DVLA mistake on log book.

• Like Like x 1