Axiam toad (2 Viewers)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my pre '97 licence only allows for a 750kg trailer behind the 7.5t RV so a regular toad is out of the question :cry:

went to a friends BBQ the other day and his dad in law was there in his little Axiam......now shirl wants one.
not looking to spend a fortune....may £1000

good idea in principle, but i heard they are fraught with problems and not very reliable.

plus points

360kg unladen weight (less than my full fresh water tank :winky:)
680kg gross
classed as a quad bike so only bike road tax
cheap insurance (full bike licence holder)
55 to 70mpg
70mph :Eeek:
plastic body so no rot.

any thoughts ::bigsmile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
PJ, do think carefully mate
Local Axium dealer dropped them like a hot brick after a customer reversed out of his garage and hit jis motorcycle trailer.. probably a 3 mph incident in to something that bounced out of the way

All looked ok but took it to have it checked.
The pressed steel chassis had folded and the car was a right off

They do not meet any of the safety requirements of a car ( they do not need to as they are rated as a heavy quadricycle )
Owner of the dealership decided there and then he did not want to put peeps lives at risk. Had the remainder of the stock collected even though it cost him money to do so

Not saying they would just fold up with a front impact as that is an unknown to me, but a chassis that has less strength than an Alko chassis ? !

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
I'd rather catch the bus!!!

Sorry, I don't mean to cause offense but think carefully before you go down this path.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Go on John buy it I need something to smile about at the meets:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have heard many negative things and few positive ones.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I feel horribly vulnerable in the Ford Ka...................I think the Axium would frighten me to death:Eeek:.........Im sure other road users would drive over the top

Brian

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Had one, got shut within a fortnight.; Shake Rattle and Roll. Single gear screams at you at only 40mph. Grandchildren wouldnt come out with me as it was so noisy.

Sorry the noise is intollerable as is the vibration. perhaps if it had a gearbox with only a second gear it may be a bit more resonable.

As said before, Build quality is Crap the body work splits everywhere due to vibrations.

Give it a miss. Honestly.

Don

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
we went to see one once and on arrival it didnt start, when it did it would not turn off , doors bend, seating awful , dont even think about it , how heavy is the peruda nippa as we towed one of these on a unbraked a frame and i loved it ( wife hated it ) but 4 doors quite roomy and great fun to drive , have a rav 4 on a frame at present but looking at the new suzuki alto as on offer at moment and would be a lot lighter on new van

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
you obviously never rode a motorbike in your youth, did you ? :ROFLMAO:

PJ I passed my test at 16 and was riding m/bikes well into my 30's until I decided,having a young family, it was't worth the risk, due mainly to other road users and my lack of sense! :Eeek:

These were not all small bikes but included a Honda CBX1000 (6pots & 6 carbs)......great in a straight line but not so good on the bends..........also Suzi GS750 & a GSX1100 Katana & probably best of all .....Triumph '47 Speed Twin (my 1st bike::bigsmile:::bigsmile:) & a '54 T110::bigsmile:

I still love bikes but would not now have another..... although I would have loved to have ridden with the modern technology sticky tyres.

Brian

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Pappajohn... How about one of these...

We just picked it up yesterday, dead light and it fit`s in our Pod.. :thumb:

Attachments

• DSCF1529.jpg
    DSCF1529.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 20

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
my pre '97 licence only allows for a 750kg trailer behind the 7.5t RV so a regular toad is out of the question :cry:

went to a friends BBQ the other day and his dad in law was there in his little Axiam......now shirl wants one.
not looking to spend a fortune....may £1000

good idea in principle, but i heard they are fraught with problems and not very reliable.

plus points

360kg unladen weight (less than my full fresh water tank :winky:)
680kg gross
classed as a quad bike so only bike road tax
cheap insurance (full bike licence holder)
55 to 70mpg
70mph :Eeek:
plastic body so no rot.

any thoughts ::bigsmile:

I'm confused PJ. Not knowing about this vehicle I GOOGLED 'Axiam' and got a response for both 'Axiam' and Aixam'. They appear to be the same, having a Kuboto diesel, but what are they really called .... ?

EDIT
Is this what we're talking about ? ..... http://www.aixam-cars.co.uk/more-info.html

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I'm confused PJ. Not knowing about this vehicle I GOOGLED 'Axiam' and got a response for both 'Axiam' and Aixam'. They appear to be the same, having a Kuboto diesel, but what are they really called .... ?

EDIT
Is this what we're talking about ? ..... http://www.aixam-cars.co.uk/more-info.html
Nothing to get confused by
An Aixam is a Aixam end of no matter how you spell it
3 or 4 models available
Fun vehicles when there new, at about 3 years old there at the end of there usefull life
After that age the french usualy buy them back and return the engines to there intended job of rotorvating gardens, says it all really
Even the most dedicated mechanic/owner struggles with the design,construction and maintenance
The manf should be prosecuted under the trade description act:thumb:
Geo
Go on John buy one, we need a laugh:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Under the 750kg rule, the Aixam is the only car that truly is legally permitted to be towed.

Treat it as a buggy, it is thinly constructed fibreglass thing, and the engines don't seem to last that long! That said, pop down your local auction and you can pick one up for around £300-500.

So you can use it as a throw away runner for the summer - or look into other things, or take a trailer test to lift the weight restriction on your licence.

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Nothing to get confused by
An Aixam is a Aixam end of no matter how you spell it

I wasn't getting confused about the spelling - I was asking if there are two distinct vehicles with similar names ......

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Under the 750kg rule, the Aixam is the only car that truly is legally permitted to be towed.

Not quite right as it is not strictly a car, but as mentioned elsewhere a heavy quadricycle ( pedantry rules !!! LOL !! ) and not sure my Qpod 'Fun' can really be counted as a car, even though it is taxed as one and rated as one by DVLA !! ::bigsmile:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
I had a bubble back in the late 70s early 80s (Great fun). much preferred to the Aixam however its spelt.
Doesnt the Moke come some where near the same wieght ?

Don

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back