Axiam toad

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by pappajohn, Aug 9, 2011.

1. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

my pre '97 licence only allows for a 750kg trailer behind the 7.5t RV so a regular toad is out of the question :cry:

went to a friends BBQ the other day and his dad in law was there in his little Axiam......now shirl wants one.
    not looking to spend a fortune....may £1000

good idea in principle, but i heard they are fraught with problems and not very reliable.

plus points

360kg unladen weight (less than my full fresh water tank :Wink:)
    680kg gross
    classed as a quad bike so only bike road tax
    cheap insurance (full bike licence holder)
    55 to 70mpg
    70mph :Eeek:
    plastic body so no rot.

any thoughts :BigGrin:

2. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

PJ, do think carefully mate
    Local Axium dealer dropped them like a hot brick after a customer reversed out of his garage and hit jis motorcycle trailer.. probably a 3 mph incident in to something that bounced out of the way

All looked ok but took it to have it checked.
    The pressed steel chassis had folded and the car was a right off

They do not meet any of the safety requirements of a car ( they do not need to as they are rated as a heavy quadricycle )
    Owner of the dealership decided there and then he did not want to put peeps lives at risk. Had the remainder of the stock collected even though it cost him money to do so

Not saying they would just fold up with a front impact as that is an unknown to me, but a chassis that has less strength than an Alko chassis ? !

3. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

I'd rather catch the bus!!!

Sorry, I don't mean to cause offense but think carefully before you go down this path.

4. pappajohn

2-0 so far :Rofl1:

5. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Go on John buy it I need something to smile about at the meets:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

I have heard many negative things and few positive ones.

6. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I feel horribly vulnerable in the Ford Ka...................I think the Axium would frighten me to death:Eeek:.........Im sure other road users would drive over the top

Brian

7. pappajohn

you obviously never rode a motorbike in your youth, did you ? :Rofl1:

8. Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind Read Only Funster

Had one, got shut within a fortnight.; Shake Rattle and Roll. Single gear screams at you at only 40mph. Grandchildren wouldnt come out with me as it was so noisy.

Sorry the noise is intollerable as is the vibration. perhaps if it had a gearbox with only a second gear it may be a bit more resonable.

As said before, Build quality is Crap the body work splits everywhere due to vibrations.

Give it a miss. Honestly.

Don

9. robinmclaren

robinmclaren Read Only Funster

we went to see one once and on arrival it didnt start, when it did it would not turn off , doors bend, seating awful , dont even think about it , how heavy is the peruda nippa as we towed one of these on a unbraked a frame and i loved it ( wife hated it ) but 4 doors quite roomy and great fun to drive , have a rav 4 on a frame at present but looking at the new suzuki alto as on offer at moment and would be a lot lighter on new van

10. icantremember

icantremember Funster

PJ I passed my test at 16 and was riding m/bikes well into my 30's until I decided,having a young family, it was't worth the risk, due mainly to other road users and my lack of sense! :Eeek:

These were not all small bikes but included a Honda CBX1000 (6pots & 6 carbs)......great in a straight line but not so good on the bends..........also Suzi GS750 & a GSX1100 Katana & probably best of all .....Triumph '47 Speed Twin (my 1st bike:BigGrin::BigGrin:) & a '54 T110:BigGrin:

I still love bikes but would not now have another..... although I would have loved to have ridden with the modern technology sticky tyres.

Brian

11. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Pappajohn... How about one of these...

We just picked it up yesterday, dead light and it fit`s in our Pod.. :thumb:

Attached Files:

12. Squire

Squire Read Only Funster

I'm confused PJ. Not knowing about this vehicle I GOOGLED 'Axiam' and got a response for both 'Axiam' and Aixam'. They appear to be the same, having a Kuboto diesel, but what are they really called .... ?

EDIT
    Is this what we're talking about ? ..... http://www.aixam-cars.co.uk/more-info.html

13. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Nothing to get confused by
    An Aixam is a Aixam end of no matter how you spell it
    3 or 4 models available
    Fun vehicles when there new, at about 3 years old there at the end of there usefull life
    After that age the french usualy buy them back and return the engines to there intended job of rotorvating gardens, says it all really
    Even the most dedicated mechanic/owner struggles with the design,construction and maintenance
    The manf should be prosecuted under the trade description act:thumb:
    Geo
    Go on John buy one, we need a laugh:thumb:

14. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Under the 750kg rule, the Aixam is the only car that truly is legally permitted to be towed.

Treat it as a buggy, it is thinly constructed fibreglass thing, and the engines don't seem to last that long! That said, pop down your local auction and you can pick one up for around £300-500.

So you can use it as a throw away runner for the summer - or look into other things, or take a trailer test to lift the weight restriction on your licence.

15. Squire

Squire Read Only Funster

16. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Not quite right as it is not strictly a car, but as mentioned elsewhere a heavy quadricycle ( pedantry rules !!! LOL !! ) and not sure my Qpod 'Fun' can really be counted as a car, even though it is taxed as one and rated as one by DVLA !! :BigGrin:

17. Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind Read Only Funster

I had a bubble back in the late 70s early 80s (Great fun). much preferred to the Aixam however its spelt.
    Doesnt the Moke come some where near the same wieght ?

Don