clecker

Free Member
Sep 16, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
We have a Fiat Ducato Highlander motorhome and would like to get an awning to store walking gear in and also as extra bedroom space when we take family away. Not sure which would be a good buy. Any tips out there?

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
http://www.riverswayleisure.co.uk/acatalog/Motorhome_Drive_Away_Awnings_1.html

Check out awnings here, if you go the stand alone/drive away option there are plenty of different styles some with bedroom pods/annexes.
With these sorts it is easy to disengage the awning while you go out in the van and the awning keeps your pitch for you, come back and just reverse back next to the awning and re attach. Once yo know which sort you want you can keep an eye on ebay/preloved etc and get a used one for a lot less than new prices, unless of course you want a new one.

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I just spend 2 days researching awnings on ebay, preloved, gumtree, even joined preloved to get access to new adverts, only a fiver so I thought why not and what did I do, made an offer on one unseen without knowing the weight just the size and they accepted my offer, had a worry when I re-read the ad and no mention of poles so emailed them and asked them were the poles alloy or steel phew, theydid come with poles!!!
Now we are awaiting delivery of a normal caravan awning and have bought the driveaway kit to attach it to the van.
As we dont drive off and leave it, we use the car thought we didnt want to flap that goes over the van to be flapping all night keeping us awake, we bought a normal caravan porch awning.
Hope it all fits otherwise it will be back up for sale the next week.
Should make some money on it too as long as it sells of course.
We always do lots of research and then but one unseen, what are we like???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I can thoroughly recommend the Outdoor Revolution range of motorhome drive-away awnings. The ones that might be most suitable for your size of van are:

Movelite XL = 3m x 3m plus the 'tunnel' part, meant for vans with a rail height between approx 2.2m to 2.9m

Movelite Square = 2.4m x 2.4m plus 'tunnel' for vans with a rail height of between 1.9m to 2.3m (although we found using it on motorhome with a 2.4m rail height worked perfectly).

These sometimes come with an inner tent already.

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If you call one of our shop staff Matt, Darren, Nic, Jon or Lynda and have a chat to them as they will be able to answer all your queries easily on 01-580-883062 and take an order if needed.

We have a wide range of awnings and annexes to suit all vans, all with Funsters discount!:thumb:

If the lines are busy you can also ring Jan at our Hastings warehouse on 01424-437525 and ask her

Regards

Peter

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Forget an awning get a tent - a nice strong one.

We have seen awnings and fiamma 45s etc etc go over top of motorhomes and caravans in strong winds and ruin peoples vehicles.

Get a stand alone tent (an old fashioned cabanon if you can) - yes they are heavy yes they are thick canvas but no they dont tend to blow away in a storm.

Upvote 0

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
We have a Fiat Ducato Highlander motorhome and would like to get an awning to store walking gear in and also as extra bedroom space when we take family away. Not sure which would be a good buy. Any tips out there?

Have a look at Kyam not the cheapest but so easy to put up and take down.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We bought a Khyam Excelsior 6 years ago and made good use of it but found it too big sometimes. Definitely the easiest range to eerect and take down though.

We subsequently bought a couple of Panorama porch awnings on eBay which were OK but not perfect and tended to be noisy when it was windy. They gave us extra space we needed with our Autoquest but the thing I hated about all of them was packing them up in the wet.

The Burtsner had an Omnistor awning fitted before we bought it so we've bought some windblockers, which aren't as bad for packing up wet. Haven't used it much though because we have more space in this van.

The Khyam has now gone to our son for use with his camper - and seems to fit it better than it did our Autoquest. Both the porch awnings sustained some rips as a result of the wind so the fabric parts have gone to the dump. Kept the poles just in case.

Upvote 0

camper

Free Member
Oct 5, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
VW T5 campervan
Exp
windy weather

Had a week in Barmouth recently and on the last couple of nights the wind got pretty unpleasant.I was using a Royal Traveller 4 awning and it plapped so loud all night and slapped against the inner tent so violently I didn't get a wink of sleep..
There was no damage to the tent as there seemed to be to a few other unhappy campers next day.
A very pleasant guy who worked there said he'd been watching very carefully on the site to see which awnings could take the strain and he said the pyramid-type ones(like mine) were the worst and the best ones appeared to be the arched ones like this
Rodeo_Sprint_Annexe_Campervan_Awning.jpg
not endorsing this product(don't know what it is) just the shape.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back