Awnings... a dilemma !!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Albo, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Albo

Albo Read Only Funster

Hi
    We are looking to buy an Awning for our motorhome, after looking on various websites we find that the ones we like are not tall enough ( we need 2.9m high). To be fair there is a good selection both pole and inflatable.

I have used a "tent pole" type lightweight awning before on a caravan (suncamp 390 ultimate) which was quite easy to erect and pretty sturdy, but have not used an inflatable- how do they compare to the pole type? are they just as sturdy?

We are looking for something that will give us extra space to say have a drinky, play cards and eat a meal. we are not looking for it to be a sleeping area.

We will need a drive away initially, as we will need the flexibility to drive the MH to shops etc. Also there is a Fiamma F45 fitted which we intend to use on longer stays and when we have alternative transport options ( planning to use either push bikes or a small motorbike)

Any suggestions/ideas on pole or inflatable, taller models and which brand would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bob.

2. weebill

weebill Funster Life Member

Hi Bob
    We have recently purchased a Vango Galli airbeam and found it to be perfect for our needs although it is more suited to UK made vans because it runs parallel to the van.
    It is very easy to inflate/deflate and we have had it erected in fairly windy conditions without any issues. It connects to the van with a driveaway kit (purchase separately) which is attached to your Fiamma wind out.
    There are a couple of videos on YouTube if you do a search.

There is a small downside in that this awning is fairly heavy at around 30kg but as I said it suits us.

Hope this helps
    cheers
    Bill

• Like Like x 1
  3. bubble63

bubble63 Funster

Hi
    Just been using a quest spring up 4 sided gazebo for a week

I would give it s 8/10
    it lost a point for not including solid sides and a point for been expensive

But .... Overall a nice fix for an outdoor room to relax, cook and avoid bugs

• Like Like x 1
  4. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

We have a vango Kela tall 11. have finally we hope got pitching it down to a fine art. Previouly had a 390 sunncamp, but couldnt fit a 4 M awning for it to go into.
    Have spent some lovely times in a quest gazebo, they are great, but as we sleep 2 in the awning when away with family the vango is better. inner tent is not big enough for 2 campbeds and some air matresses are too big too. It takes quite a bit of light away from the van too. getting used to it though.

5. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

6. ABZSteve

ABZSteve Funster

I have a Vango Kela Tall for sale. Bought it, erected it once for one day, wife said she didn't like it and would prefer a wind break instead. So, we now have the windbreak in the van (still not used) and the blow up awning in the spare room. Reasonable offers accepted, shipping at purchasers cost (y)

7. Albo

Albo Read Only Funster

Seems like inflatable awnings are the preferred choice, better re-think our budget !! :think:

8. Bellini

Bellini Funster

We recently bought a secondhand Kampa Rally Air 390 XL which will fit your height of motorhome.

I know this model isn't driveaway, and we initially thought it may be a hindrance to us with regards tank emptying mid-stay and suchlike, but we found ways round the problems and always stock up with food and drink and take bikes along.

Plenty large enough for 6 to eat around a table (as ours did many times), or to relax with more space without the table and less people. And loads of clear panels so you don't feel isolated from outside even when fully zipped-up.

This was our first inflatable purchase and we've nothing but praise for Kampa quality and detail. I'm sure they do offer a driveaway option on some of their models. They're easy to inflate and attach and ours resisted strong buffeting in Lowestoft a few weeks ago with no issues whatsoever.

9. carolyn

carolyn Funster

We have the quest 4 spring up and think its great, so easy. It has been up all week in the back garden as well. £160 with the side walls so not expensive although Robert Dyas have now run out, think there was a rush on their 20% off weekend when a load of us were at the Yorkshire rally.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Steve N Tracy

Steve N Tracy Funster

We bought the same at the Newbury show and judging by the amount lined up with sold tickets on so did lots of others lol, great little stand alone awning.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Charlie D

Charlie D

:)Hi, new to this forum and haven't used one before, but here goes. My father in-law has a 2011 Elddis Autoquest and is looking for a Fammia awning rail to fit to the side to allow the use of a safari room. I known the advantages and disadvantages of the safari rooms, but they don't move when pitched up. The Fammia store are suggesting a F65s, which needs an additional fixing bracket that's quite expensive. I intend fitting it myself as I am a tradesman. Having looked at a few newer vans on trips, they appear to have a fixed rail on the side of the van bolted through the aluminium panels, then the awning rail attached to that. I haven't been able to track down another 130 of that age ! To see what it has fitted. Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

12. musson

musson Funster

Kampa midi tall from 2900 to 3600 or smaller version up to 2900

13. Mr Milliemobile

Mr Milliemobile Funster

We have same awning for our autotrail PVC, it works quite well but for the attaching to the van leaves a little excess material which flaps in the wind. It is quick and was to put up, we did away with the internal divider.
    Nige