Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
hi iwander can anybody give me any advice on my wind out canopy when I wind it out the breeze or wind makes it flap as though its going to turn inside out is there any thing I can buy to make it secure obviously it as the two poles at the end that fix into the ground but that's all and I cant see where anything else would fit so any advice would be helpful thanks steve:Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It depends, to an extent, on the make of awning.

There are generic tie-down straps which go over the fabric near the front but they can rub the awning fabric. Omnistor do a set of two straps which hook into specifically designed holes near the tops of the legs but I don't think they fit Fiamma awnings (though I think Fiamma do an equivalent for their models).

The straps keep the whole think stable but the material can still flap and be noisy. Fiamma do side arms for the privacy room which also clip onto the fabric but Omnistor don't have an equivalent, just sprung arms which help keep the tension.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We have the ones that slide in the groove at the front of the awning when wound out, they are very good, but if there is much wind about and it is flapping as they nearly all do we take ours in, seen more than one fly over the tops of the van and do damage.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I use the same thing as Lesley and Carol.....they work well.

also sounds like you need an awning raft so you can wind a little tension into the awning fabric.

the rafter fits between the awning box (the bit on the van) and the front rail (the cross bar at the top of the legs)

once in place you wind in the awning slightly so it tightens the fabric and stops a lot of flapping.

this one is a Fiamma but other makes are available.

fiamma-rafter-caravanstore-primary.jpg

as an aside in case you were unaware.....when you put out your awning always lower one end by 6in or so to allow rain to run off the low end.
if you dont and it rains hard it can bend the front rail or tear the fabric under the weight of water trapped on top.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back