Awning

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jaseb70, Jan 29, 2010.

1. jaseb70

jaseb70 Read Only Funster

Hi all,
    having yet not been away in our van I have not used the Oministar 4000 windout awning. Is the awning safe leave out overnight with some decent pegs on the coners etc, should I consider a storm strap over it aswell.

Thanks
    Jase:thumb:

2. zaskar

zaskar Funster

Please PLEASE dont leave your awning out overnight, certainly not without a storm strap on it. Believe me, if the wind gets up in the night (ooo-err missus:Rofl1:) there's is a more than fair chance that your awning could be trashed before you've got your head off the pillow. IMHO, it simply isn't worth the risk for a few seconds work, especially given the ridiculous replacement cost!:thumb:
    A storm strap is a VERY usefull tool, but personally, i wouldn't trust an awning out overnight, even with one fitted..

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  3. ips

ips Read Only Funster

Well if its anything like our Fiamma awning then be carefull. There sold as a "sun awning" quite rightly, as in even the slightest wind they have potential to do serious damage to themselves or your van. I believ you can get a tie down straps kit but cant say how effective they are.

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

They are never safe in gusting wind. Geo had his ripped off at the new year meet.

Yes, use a strap.

5. jaseb70

jaseb70 Read Only Funster

Thanks very much for the advice.

6. JayDee

JayDee Funster

Awning tie down kit - absolutely essential.

There are also these
    http://www.mysunshade.co.uk/ (Tie down Anchor Ratchet straps) which we use to good effect.

The conventional tie down kit, where the strap is pegged at both end and goes over the awning (as in an erected awning), actually goes over the windout frame at the tops of the legs. You can get an idea from the picture here
    http://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/sho...tm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=ProductSearch

I would suspect that the latter is the stronger, but I have no proof of that. But if it's that windy then in my book the awning should have been wound in ages ago. After all it takes (?) two minutes. And it's a lot cheaper than buying new.:Sad:

John

7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Well thats what the mob told me happened, Ive since learned the two Brians & Bryan were practising air craft escapes from my roof sliding down the awning:RollEyes:

Seriously there was no wind or any sign of impending problems, then out of the blue a 2 second gust and it was all over, and then all was calm again except me:Doh:
    I had thought about putting the storm strap on but dismissed it as it was very calm It wont go out again without straps ever ever ever:Eeek:
    No damage to the RV only a sky light, awing brackets, awning arms, fabric torn:Eeek:
    Nothing a few hundred quid and a days labour wont sort:cry::cry::cry:
    Geo
    I would recomend only screw in the ground pegs for this job ie sold as dog tie downs, the force of the wind is unbelievable

8. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

We were at Lake Garda when a British couple pulled up late in the evening, wound out the awning and promptly went for a refreshing drink. From nowhere the wind picked up and lifted the awning onto the roof of the van totally destroying it. Myself and a couple of Germans managed to get it down before the guy returned. He had'nt bothered tying it down as he was going to the airport very early in the morning to collect his daughter. Now he was going minus the awning!
    :Doh:

9. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Hi John,

Cheaper here and thats without the Funsters discount:thumb:

http://www.johnscrossshop.co.uk/products.php?product=Fiamma-Awning-Tie-Down-Kit-Black-98655%2d129-

Peter

10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

definately an awning storm strap...and as Jaydee said, DONT place the strap over the fabric...only over the frame and as close to the leg tops as possible.
    put it over the fabric and it WILL tear !
    i broke a plastic knuckle joint by overtightening a few inches inboard from the joint.

one point no-one has mentioned yet.
    if you do leave the awning out, either overnight or when you're away from the van, DO NOT leave the awning level...drop one leg by 6 or 7 inches to allow water to run off the end. it wont run off the front due to the front rail.

i forgot just once...torrential downpour for 20 mins (and in spain i mean torrential) and the awning filled with around 10 to 15 gallons of water putting tremendous strain on the fabric.

11. AuldCodger

AuldCodger Read Only Funster

Would strongly suggest that unless you really believe the weather forecast you do not even go off for the day and leave an awning out, or turn in for the evening.
    Many will have been extremely fortunate and got away with it but I can assure many have not.
    Awning - glorified sunshade.
    :Doh:

12. JayDee

JayDee Funster

13. drs

drs Read Only Funster

I had my awning damaged by rain as I stupidly left it out which caused it to collapse. So if you must have it open when it rains always leave one side lower to allow for run off.

14. bazfergy

bazfergy Read Only Funster

Not the best time of year to leave an awning out,but definitely never without a proper tie down:thumb:

15. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

Don't rely on awning straps either. I once had the misfortune to have the awning blow DOWNWARDS in a strong wind, twisting the front rail.

16. savantuk

savantuk Read Only Funster

I'm touching wood desperately here, but I can honestly say that in all the years we've used one, we've left it out in all weathers, and never felt concern.

I do however, us a belt and braces approach. We have a DWC Zelte awning on our Hobby, which is a German version of the italian ones, which has fitting points above each leg for storm ties. I put these out at 45 degrees to the plane of the rafter, which allows me to put tension on the awning panel, so that it is much less likely to 'baloon'. I then put a second set of guys at 90 degrees to the first set, which puts the awning panel in compression.

Boths sets use Fiamma 'guy plates', and especially long solid steel pegs.

The awning doesn't move, even in high winds, as you can see from the pic.

[​IMG]