Awning woes

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by lindylou, May 1, 2014.

1. lindylou

lindylou Funster

Why if something is going to go wrong, does it wait until you are at the other side of the water !

The fiamma awning winding mechanism has failed. Took it to a fiat dealer who said they could fix it. They ordered the part and we went there yesterday to find he can't do it after all. Apparently it needs someone who does bodywork to fix it as they can't get into it. So here we are on the mosel with a spare part and no awning. :Doh:

2. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

3. lindylou

lindylou Funster

Problem is, on the Bessacarr the awning is built into the side of the van and they can't access the parts without taking the whole thing out. Stupid system.

4. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

I'm sure a motorhome dealer will sort you out, awnings have very little holding them on, :Wink: in fact I saw someone at Stratford Show one year and his awning was falling off :Doh: that was built into the motorhome and the base plate behind the awning was held on the side by a few self tapping screws. :Eek!: Bob.

5. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Look inside the top cupboards, you may see a little white covers with bolts underneath.
    Usually x3 lots in different cupboards.
    It will need 2 or 3 people to help to hold/unbolt it and refix it :Eeek:

Maybe a chance for intercontinental relations to grow on site-- buy them some wine and ask for a lift :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

Have a look inside the overhead lockers, behind the awning, there should be 3 or 4 depending on length, plastic trims that should be easily removed that expose the securing bolts/plates. One each end and one or two evenly spaced between these. As far as I know, removing the nuts and plates will release the awning from the housing, just ensure it's supported whilst removing the fixings, this should then facilitate access to the mechanism.
    There may be some funsters that could offer more details for your particular Motorhome, but it's worth a look to see if it's the same fitting system. I'll check mine again when back home to see if there's anything I could add to the above.

7. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

Sorry joner8888, I wasn't copying, just taking too long typing on phone between bank and supermarket..... Whilst parked up of course waiting for htmbo. I fully agree with you though, sound advice.:thumb::thumb:

8. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Have a look inside the overhead lockers, behind the awning, there should be 3 or 4 depending on length, plastic trims that should be easily removed that expose the securing bolts/plates. One each end and one or two evenly spaced between these. As far as I know, removing the nuts and plates will release the awning from the housing, just ensure it's supported whilst removing the fixings, this should then facilitate access to the mechanism.
    There may be some funsters that could offer more details for your particular Motorhome, but it's worth a look to see if it's the same fitting system. I'll check mine again when back home to see if there's anything I could add to the above.

9. lindylou

lindylou Funster

Thanks for that advise all. Will see if we can find a dealer who can fix it.

Lin

10. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Hi,

As most people have already said, the nuts and plates behind the white caps need to be removed. On your motorhome there will be at least 5 of them. Thats provided Swift haven't hidden any of them behind a false wall. The awning will need some brute force to remove as swift bond the brackets on. We usually have at least 4 fitters working together to remove it. A bar and sharp blade are a must.

Good Luck:thumb:

Any further help please feel free to call

Ian, Workshops
    01580 881288
    www.johnscross.co.uk