Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I have an omnistor awning on the new motorhome and am wondering is there a specific tie down / guys for it. Any info would be much appreciated. I have seen some with springs on ?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Do you mean the storm straps?

We got some specifically for our Omnistor. It was ages ago so can't tell you where from but they clipped into the legs quite neatly.

In my biased opinion Omnistor awnings are the best because the storm straps are best.

OP
OP
Daveo2006

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Have they got the S shaped clips to go on the top of the legs? We had the other van 3 years and i only wound the awning out once so I've decided to make use of this one but would like the straps. I thought there was some for omnistor but can't find them.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I used some thin rope as guy rope and a couple of bungee straps as springs. Have seen them with springs and ratchet straps,,,can understand the springs but why the ratchets ?? The weak point is the type angle and length of pegs used...BUSBY.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
if not too late we have these

http://www.parrotsol.co.uk/index_files/Page586.htm

or very similar at least, bought from a show, the fixing to the awning is into the awning channel so gets a really good hold, the ratchets really do add to this strength IMO

also, just opened Andy's link in the item words it actually says not for Omnitor or Thule but suited to Autotrail awnings, not really sure what the difference would be

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
if not too late we have these

http://www.parrotsol.co.uk/index_files/Page586.htm

or very similar at least, bought from a show, the fixing to the awning is into the awning channel so gets a really good hold, the ratchets really do add to this strength IMO

also, just opened Andy's link in the item words it actually says not for Omnitor or Thule but suited to Autotrail awnings, not really sure what the difference would be

Dont understand what ratchets do. The hold down needs to be able to stretch a little to stop pegs being pulled out in the wind so you need springs or bungees to provide this. BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Dont understand what ratchets do. The hold down needs to be able to stretch a little to stop pegs being pulled out in the wind so you need springs or bungees to provide this. BUSBY.

I guess the difference is the pegs we use, 18" long metal jobbies, if they pull out we have really got problems, so we don't have the stretchy bit :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

The ones made by and for Omnistor don't have a ratchet, they have a belt type buckle to tension the strap ..
the springs are quite strong so the buckle just makes it easier to get a good tension on the strap
.. they are also supplied with heavy duty pegs..

also to note.. they fix into the slot on the top of the legs, so when under tension, no strain is put on the front awning bar

$%28KGrHqZ,%21h4E+oKilHplBP+u1BPU7w%7E%7E60_12.GIF

unlike the generic ones that slide into the channel ..

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010

Not quite what it says David
(NOT FOR THE OMNISTOR CARAVAN STYLE AND THULE OMNISTOR 2000)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I had my Omnistor awning out at a steam rally a couple of weeks ago.
It was tied down with the correct storm straps etc, but the wind got up in the night.
By the time I got to it to put it away it was moving and twisting violently and the fabric had ripped near to the winding mechanism.
All of the time it remained fastened down and tensioned correctly. It was really weird and scary.
I had to force it back into the locked position when I managed to get it wound in.

The end result was that I had to have a brand new awning fitted as it was twisted and ripped beyond repair.
It is the 4.5 mtr one that is fitted to the AutoTrail Comanche, so it was never going to be cheap.
After getting a few quotes the job went to Rose Awnings of Poole, Dorset, www.omnistorawnings.co.uk ,and as luck would have it I was visiting the South of the country for a couple of days.

John Rose did a brilliant job at short notice and fitted me in between bookings.
Even so, I was on my way home by lunchtime.
It was never going to be cheap, but it was not as expensive as the others, and he certainly knows what he is doing.

Moral is, if the wind is strong get the awning down asap.
Even the supplied storm straps won't save it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back