Awning sides or not? (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year motorhomer after 21 years caravanning
Hi We have an autotrail tracker FB with an omnistor sun canopy/awning roof as standard - the current debate is, before we start our 8 week trip round France, whether we dip deep for 'proper sides' (SWMBO preference) or we go for a windbreak type 'wrap around' solution when we want a bit of private space.
Any suggestions from more experienced funsters are most welcome...... Even from Dawn ;-)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We managed to pick up a full windblocker set second hand. It packs down really small and light, the 2 end panel's can be used together to make a corner. I Think they are expensive full price for what they are.

There was a thread on here somewhere about people buying the same fabric and making windbreaks. Try a search.

We were put off by the weight and hassle of full awnings.

If we had not had a bargain with the wind blockers we'd have got a smart wind brake because you can always use that without the awning if it's too windy or tight for space.

http://www.windblockers.net

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Windblockers here too, brilliant piece of equipment. We had the safari room but it was very heavy and took up a lot of space. It also made moving off if we wanted to a pain in the bum. The windblockers are so quick to take on and off. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
For us it would depend on how long we might want to spend on a site.
We have a porch awning,but would only put it up if we were staying more than a week,
otherwise we'd use the windblockers :thumb:

In fact-if we were definitely 'touring' we probably would leave the awning at home ::bigsmile:

Mike

Terry49

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Lymm
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
Lilliput option

Hi we purchased the Liliput system with internal screens for our 4 metre awning on our Auto-trail. Convenient, lightweight not the best fit and does let the draught in. The securing poles are flimsy. as they are just washing line poles. The tensioning screws failed on the poles within a few times of use so I added jubilee clips. That said, great for keeping out the sun (when it shines), not too expensive and relatively easy to put up. I also purchased the screens for along the skirt and wheel cover. Approx £400 in 2013. Terry

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have windbreakers, as I call them, and they are good for giving privacy in daytime but like net curtains not much good at night if say you have candles in the awning or some other form of light.

However, in my limited experience of the subject roll out MH awnings, unlike typical caravan ones, are not meant to be left out in all weathers, so being able to pack it away quickly when that thunderstorm threatens is important and windbreakers are good in that respect. They also pack up very small.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There was a thread on here somewhere about people buying the same fabric and making windbreaks. Try a search.

I made my own wind-blockers - below is a picture of them on our previous van, a Chausson Flash 04, on the Isle of Wight which was the first time we'd used them - they worked well, keeping the chill off and the flying ants! At the time as we were only trying them we hadn't pegged/secured them properly or extended the awning fully which is why they look a bit 'gathered' at the sides and as there was quite a slope on the pitch that's why they look a bit 'short'. They pack away into a small washbag about 8" x 5" x 3" inches.

I got the material from a car boot sale for £7 ... where else! I just came across it as I was pottering round so I thought I'd have a go at making the screens - it wasn't that difficult to be honest, the worst part was trying to cut the material whilst ensuring the edges were 'straight' as voile/netting isn't the easiest stuff to work with!!! You should be able to get hold of voile from any place that sells curtains - you do need voile or very fine weave normal net curtain material. You also need bias binding/binding tape, elastic, plastic hoops, plus sew on and self-adhesive Velcro. All in all it probably cost about £20 for me to make as I'd obviously not spent a lot on the actual 'voile' material. For the poles across the top of the 2 sides we either use some cheap clothes props, or some expanding curtain poles.

The bias binding/binding tape was folded over all the edges and as you can see from the picture I also sewed some 'tape' down them panels to give them strength so that when the top securing elastic loops are put on, and the bottom elastic loops with rings are secured, the tape takes the strain rather than the voile. A difference between my version and the 'official' version is that on the top of the front panel I sewed the piping (that you feed into the front awning slot) on in small sections, rather than one continuous strip, so that I can push back at either end along the awning channel to create a doorway if I want.

It wasn't difficult to make them but they were a bit fiddly so you really need to have knowledge of how to do needlework/sewing, and be able to make stuff with a sewing machine, so isn't something that a novice would easily be able to tackle, but it certainly wasn't rocket science.

::bigsmile:

Attachments

• wind screens 1 - Copy.jpg
    wind screens 1 - Copy.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 97
  • wind screens 2 - Copy.jpg
    wind screens 2 - Copy.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 90

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lilyput windblockers , quick n easy to use ,packs away dead small n light :Cool:

we often just put up one on the windward end of thr awning if we are sat out , also works as a sun screen :Smile:

We bought one of those metal adjustable clothes props and thread it through the elastic loops on the bottom to help hold it down and just peg either end , ( can also be used as a clothes prop :ROFLMAO: )

new sets come with spring loaded roof poles , cost us around £180 for the 3 parts ,:thumb:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have the fiama ends with the windows built in.. No front. We also have a movelite xlf drive away awning which I doubt we will ever use again.. Not because it's bad... Its huge and great for guests.. With the new Van we just don't need the extra space..

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
as has been said above the windout awnings are best rolled away if there is sign of wind and never left unpegged down. that said if its only sides you are considering then in any wind you will need to pack away and the wind blockers are really quick to put up and pack away and give both excellent blocking of light breeze and light rain.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I designed a blocker panel system after I couldn't find any that were fully waterproof, light weight, pack away small and are easy to fit.
We now sell them and get great feedback from customers and of course we use them ourselves.
image319.gif

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back