Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
after several days searching for an awning for the Kon-Tiki I am turning to you good people - HELP. :Sad:
I have tried several local dealers but am drawing a blank - no one seems to say 'this awning will suit', it seems I have to buy first which is not what we want to do. If I know it will fit - I will buy it, but not able to get this confirmed.
I don't want the awning running over the windows if possible - we don't mind a drive away type as long as it's footprint is + 3mx3m, again if possible.

Can anyone recommend a make/model that could fit? As always, all help will be greatly received. I have attached a photo with measurements to help.
Many Thanks,

Trikeman. :Blush::winky:

cgvgw

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the khyam motordome will fit and meets most of your requirements

footprint 3m x 3m so wont overlap rear window
sleeping compartment either an option of a pod on one model or a clip in one on the others
very robust in the wind
substantial attached frame allows pitching in 2 mins
allows you to detach and drive away leaving storage on site and pitch saved
no integral groundsheet though and not doors on all sides

we have had ours for some time and wouldn't be without it. having owned numerous khyam tents over the years we can assure you build quality is excellent and spare parts easy to find

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Easy answer, just us on 01-580-883062 and ask for advice, we are Swift dealers and the main Fiamma installers in the UK.

Loads of drive away awnings in stock, just check website below.

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/awning-annexes.html

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/motorhome-awnings.html

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/outdoor-revolution-awnings.html

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/outdoor-revolution-awnings.html

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter,
thanks for that - however have telephoned and told neither Peter or Matt are on site and no one could give me any details as there were no technical staff available.
The search continues :Doh:
Regards

Trikeman. :winky:

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
the khyam motordome will fit and meets most of your requirements

footprint 3m x 3m so wont overlap rear window
sleeping compartment either an option of a pod on one model or a clip in one on the others
very robust in the wind
substantial attached frame allows pitching in 2 mins
allows you to detach and drive away leaving storage on site and pitch saved
no integral groundsheet though and not doors on all sides

we have had ours for some time and wouldn't be without it. having owned numerous khyam tents over the years we can assure you build quality is excellent and spare parts easy to find

Hi Big1,
many thanks for the recommendation and advice. The one you mention is one of the ones we have on the shortlist, so to speak. We really like the Khyam Sleeper+ which is quite big and gives us the benefit of additional storage and/or sleeping pod if friends want to stay,,,,, usually when they have a few too many and forget where they are. :roflmto:
Again, many thanks.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
My experience

We thought we wanted a 'driveaway' awning-it seemed a good idea.So,we bought a secondhand one from a Funster and used it just 4 times before deciding that it wasn't what we wanted-it ended up in our attic for some time whilst we looked at what others were using and what was the main purpose of an awning.
We decided that for our needs a porch awning was the way go and bought a cheap secondhand one to check this out. In fact we bought the porch awning with the money we got from selling the driveaway at Wrenbury ::bigsmile:
That awning served us well until it encountered high winds for an extended period of time in Spain last winter-it was left in a skip at Marjal :ROFLMAO:
We have now bought a Kampa airframe porch awning which we know will do what we want-provide a space for entertaining or just sitting out in when we are on a site for a few days.
In Spain a guy behind us had a driveaway that he said he had paid around ÂŁ600 for-when he left he said he was going to get rid of it and buy something else because it didn't do,for him,what he thought it would.

Mike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We are very happy with our Kampa Rally awning. It's 3.9 m so will fit the entire length of your roll out awning. http://www.kampa.co.uk/products/caravan-awnings/lightweight-awnings/rally-390/
There are two versions: the MH version fits in the slot on the edge of the roll out awning. The caravan version which we have requires a rail to be Sikaflexed to the side of the van. There are lots of the caravan version available relatively cheaply on eBay which is where we got ours.
It's very windy today at Stratford - so windy in fact it has destroyed the Funsters shelter. Our Kampa Rally seems to be one of the few awnings that haven't been taken down by their owners. Steady as a rock. Recommended.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back