Awning rail thingy??

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Teasy2007, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Hi, can anyone please tell me what the fabric beading attached to awnings is called, and if it is available with beading at both sides so it can fit in the awning rail and into a figure of eight plastic sheath.

I have probably not explained it very clearly but we were wanting to find an extra couple of inches so we could buy a Sunncamp Air (maximum height 250) for our 253 awning rail.

The Sunncamp is half the cost of the Kampa and looks just as good.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Ginny

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

its called kador strip:thumb:

3. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

beware.....there are two sizes of beading.
    You need to know the size of the slot in the awning front rail and in the figure 8 plastic strip.

The smaller one can pull out of the larger slot and obviously the larger wont fit in the smaller slot.

5. Phill D

Phill D

I believe its often called a "drive away strip" .

6. lunarman

lunarman Funster

Can you fit an awning rail at the correct height on the side of the van. This is what I and many others have done. It provides a better fit.

Lunarman

7. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

The full kit is called many things, such as: drive away kit / awning piping kit / kador strip / kador kit .... etc! If you only want the actual 'piping' this can be bought separately.

There are 2 versions of the 'piping' strips, one with 4mm piping on one side and 6mm on the other, and another with 6mm on both sides. The former (4mm/6mm) is what you will need to attach to the front slot on a Fiamma awning and possibly Omnistor awnings (I've never had one so can't say for sure what side the front slot is), and the latter (6mm/6mm) is for the awning rails that caravans have. The plastic 'figure of 8' strip is 6mm on both sides.

You MUST make sure that you get the correct piping for your awning and that whatever you buy you DOUBLE CHECK with the seller what it is they have as, for example, looking on Ebay some of the sellers show the 4mm/6mm piping but when you read the description it is the standard 6mm/6mm!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  8. Minxy Girl

Yes, but the downside is that it is much more difficult (if not impossible!) to detach and re-attach if you want to go out, the drive away kit makes is so easy to do this.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Minxy Girl

Just a thought, have you double checked that your MH habitation door will still open if you go for the lower awning?

• Like Like x 1
  10. daisy mae

daisy mae Read Only Funster

I have a brand new kit for sale I bought it for my Topaz, but sold it before I had a chance to use it with my drive away awning, the canvas strip is just over 3 mtrs, comes with 4 lengths of the plastic figure of 8 to fit the strip, the beading is 6mm, I will not use it with my Clubman so it is surplus to requirements.

pm if interested,

Margaret

11. lunarman

lunarman Funster

True but then the sunncamp is not a driveaway awning. Its this type it will fall down without the van to support it.

http://www.ryedaleleisure.com/sunncamp-awnings.html
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lunarman

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  12. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

13. Minxy Girl

Ah, see, I stupidly assumed they were drive away awnings with the OP asking about the kits! :BigGrin:

However ... we actually DO intend to use our drive away kit with a large porch awning and will, if we want, be able to disconnect ... our intention is to flop the awning down onto the ground and peg it to keep it there when we want to go out in the van. :Smile:

14. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

We dont really want a drive away awning, we tend to stay put once we are on site until we move onto the next one.

Ginny

15. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Now there's a thought, we did not think we would be able to disconnect the awning easily, other than taking it down!

Ginny

16. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

17. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Pm sent!

18. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Have you tried this ?-Drive away awnings do have a quite large piece of material between the actual awning and the van-which is what makes them 'easier' to re-connect.
    Mike

19. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

I put an awning rail just below my Fiamma windout awning-we bought a Kampa 250 air.

We had a Suncamp-not the air,and I left it in a skip at Marjal last winter :BigGrin:
    We had already decided to buy the Kampa because the material seemed so much stronger.

Mike

20. Minxy Girl

[quote:]Originally Posted by Minx View Post
    Ah, see, I stupidly assumed they were drive away awnings with the OP asking about the kits!

However ... we actually DO intend to use our drive away kit with a large porch awning and will, if we want, be able to disconnect ... our intention is to flop the awning down onto the ground and peg it to keep it there when we want to go out in the van.[/quote]

We used a porch awning at Newark with the drive away kit and it was very easy to put on the van when we set it up and also take it down, we didn't move the van but I can't see that that would make any difference. We have used various 'proper' drive away awnings (Movelites) before and not had any problem re-attaching them as we ensure that we mark out EXACTLY where the van was before we move it - this is the key to getting it right every time.

Attached Files: