Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie, but was caravanner for 20 years
I have had a search but can't quite find what I am looking for, so apologies if It's there. I have an Ace Modena 2004 with no wind out awning fitted. We want a smallish porch awning and like the look of the Kampa 260. Our van appears to have a caravan awning rail but with no access points for the beading, so I am guessing it's only trim. What are my options please? I've seen big awnings with throw over straps but don't like the idea of that flapping noisily at night. Can you fit just a awning rail or would we have to go for a wind out?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Very easy to make extra awning access points in awning rails
drill small file and a pair of long nose pliers
Drill 10mm hole flare out slightly the newly formed edges and file smooth

Upvote 0
OP
OP
paul18

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Very easy to make extra awning access points in awning railswhy no access
drill small file and a pair of long nose pliers
Drill 10mm hole flare out slightly the newly formed edges and file smooth

Is it safe to do this, it would be an ideal solution as we don't go out it the van once sited. We walk or bike. Doing this wouldn't damage the seal? Someone told me it's not proper awning rail just trim, hence why no access points?

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Is it safe to do this, it would be an ideal solution as we don't go out it the van once sited. We walk or bike. Doing this wouldn't damage the seal? Someone told me it's not proper awning rail just trim, hence why no access points?
Might be worth posting a photo of it so folk can be sure what it is. :)

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I would have no hesitation in doing it if indeed it was an awning rail i was working on
But some folk didnt ought to let loose with a knife and fork
It all depends at which end of the spectrum you reside
If in any doubt dont do it simply afix a second rail below the existing trim
if what you have has no cut out are you sure you are looking at an awning rail a pic says a thousand words
g

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
paul18

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20160918_111645.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
paul18

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Not awning rail then? How do I fit a rail below as you suggested? ,would it involve drilling? If so I may as well get a wind out fitted?

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Very few Motor home awnings actualy fit at the side like a Caravan awning does inside a rail
some do have a single straight rail at the top fed from either end and elasticated poorly fitting sides
Hence why they invented the strap over the roof
Ive never heard anyone complain of Flapping noise

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yes it will involve drilling for a secure fix some may advocate adhesive fixing but not me

Upvote 0
OP
OP
paul18

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Thanks for your time Geo. Answers my question perfectly I think

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
going offline for a few hrs so excuse me
But many on here offer good advice not all the same advice thankfully so have a good read pick out what you like and go for it I to would go for a wind out it kinda finishes the package off properlyand open up more options for privicy rooms, wind blockers, and simple sun shades
G

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have had a search but can't quite find what I am looking for, so apologies if It's there. I have an Ace Modena 2004 with no wind out awning fitted. We want a smallish porch awning and like the look of the Kampa 260. Our van appears to have a caravan awning rail but with no access points for the beading, so I am guessing it's only trim. What are my options please? I've seen big awnings with throw over straps but don't like the idea of that flapping noisily at night. Can you fit just a awning rail or would we have to go for a wind out?
Just had a look at your profile and it say something along the lines of "caravanner for many years." If you've only just got the MH I suggest fitting a wind-out awning and don't bother with what I might call a caravan type awning. Very few folk use these on MHs although they do have their place, for example if you need somewhere dry for say a mobility scooter. Otherwise I suggest give a wind out awning a good try before you think you need anything extra. For me the attraction of motorhoming is the easy with which you can move from place to place. Once you start faffing about with awnings, waste hogs etc then you are getting close to being a caravanner again. Not that I am condemning these extras, but give the "minimalist" approach a try first then get extra stuff if you think you need it. If you are going to say pop over to France and use the aires then you won't need any sort of awning in most places and in the heat of summer a conventional caravan type awning will be far too hot.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
paul18

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Well not beginners any more I suppose, approaching 2 years moho ownership, but 20 years worth of tugging. We are pretty minamilist but want storage more than an thing else, but no intention of leaving UK

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
If it's the Kampa Rally Ailr Pro you fancy then you may like to check out @scotjimland posting. He added an awning rail specifically for the Kampa awning. It was a simple task and his post has links to the parts and pictures etc.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
OP
OP
paul18

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I've read somewhere about a kador strip with figure of 8 connectors. Anyone know what this is about?

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
All you ever wanted to know about Kader strips, But I cant see why the Orange bit wont go straight into an awning channel personally.
Although I do know a the figure of 8 strips were used im my earlier days to join an awning to a roof gutter on self builds and smallish VW type 2s etc
The bottom pic shows how you would connect to your new windout, should you want to.
You roll out the awning to within reach, slide in awning, then wind back up again, it acts like a built in awning rail, when the awning is not in use you can then use the wind out fully deployed as a sun shade
Fun aint it:doh::banghead:

double-edge-kador-strip-awning-connector-6mm-to-6mm-[3]-4710-p.jpg
4-6mm-Kador-Bead1.jpg

Upvote 0
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
image.jpeg
As link above but we found it was a real pain to connect the Driveaway to the wind out awning & just kept the awning free standing.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I was looking at an awning and I already have a wind out, but I am now looking at something like this from Argos and other stores... I'm parked next to someone now that has one and he has used it a lot in the last few years and it still looks good....

Trespass event shelter... About Ā£140 on the net...

image.jpeg

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back