awning help for pround new motorhome owner (1 Viewer)

al22

Free Member
Dec 13, 2010
Funster No
Hi everybody! I have just purchased my first motorhome :Smile: It's a McLouis Lagan 410 (2003) and I would like to buy an awning. I've tried searching loads of sites for advice on what size I need but they all seem to refer to caravan awnings.... Do you measure for motorhomes in the same way? Help! Many thanks, Arlene

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi everybody! I have just purchased my first motorhome :Smile: It's a McLouis Lagan 410 (2003) and I would like to buy an awning. I've tried searching loads of sites for advice on what size I need but they all seem to refer to caravan awnings.... Do you measure for motorhomes in the same way? Help! Many thanks, Arlene

Riverside Leisure, Preston have a good section.

You probably want about 3m x 3m and high enough to clear your door top.

Then choose from £170 to £570. You get what you pay for, 170 thin material to 570 thick material but heavier.

OP
OP
A

al22

Free Member
Dec 13, 2010
Funster No
Wow - that was quick! Thanks for the advice - I'll check if they have a website and give them a call to ask how I measure for the correct size. Cheers! ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi
Try ebay type in driveaway awning in the mh parts section and a few will come up

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
A couple of ideas are in the 2 photos. As Brian said you pays your money and take your pick.

The small one is Nylon over Fibre Glass poles, much lighter, or the metal frame one, larger and much heavier as well as more room.

We have had the larger one up in a force 8 gale without any problems.

These are both drive away type, not caravan awnings.

Attachments

• Awning.jpg
    Awning.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 30 Dec.jpg
    30 Dec.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 45

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, what type are you thinking, one fixed to the van like this:

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/Fiamma-F65-S-3.20m-Motorhome-Awning.html

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/categories/Awnings-Annexes-Groundsheets/Fiamma-Zip-Motorhome-Awning-/

Johns Cross do a good deal at the shows.:thumb:

Or a drive away awning ? :Smile:

We had one fixed to the last van, hardy ever used it, had the safari room that fitted on it and used it twice. ::bigsmile:

This time we got a free standing kyham screenhouse that we only take when we are going to need it, stand up to strong winds and quick and easy to put up. :Smile: And if we want to go off in the van it saves your pitch.

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=342

Or the one that fits on your van, the Motordome drive away awning :

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=348

I think its best to use the van first and see what you think is best for you. :roflmto: Bob.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
When we had our Autosleeper (1996 Amethyst) we had a driveaway awning (a Harrison) which blew to bits in Ireland and Jeff Bowen shipped a new (different) one out to us in two days. We used it because our son was holidaying with us, and he used it as his accommodation.
Since we got the Dethleffs (A Class Advantage) with its pulldown bed at the front and fixed bed at the rear, we have never used the awning. We do use the wind-out a great deal however, but have never bothered getting a Safari Room. If we want to put a side ot two on it we use a sun screem that slides into the front of the wind out and / or a lightweight nylon type curtain from Lilypad.
http://www.mysunshade.co.uk/

The awning now stays in the shed unused. So my advice would be - Don't buy an awning unless you're sure you need it. It is a fair amount of money to spend on something that will eat into you payload as well as take up valuable storage space.

John

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Welcome to the funsters. :thumb:

I can second what Jaydee says, see if you need one first. We had a safari room (makes a complete awning out of your sun canopy) with the motorhome but apart from a practise run putting it up on the drive we've never used it. Maybe a long stay on one site it might get some use but you need to decide before you go whether it's worth the space it takes up onboard.

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
When we first got out Roller Team friends said you must get an awning, never have and never needed one

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

Hi,

If you give Darren, Matt or Jan a ring they will be able to give you professional advice as to what would be suitable for your van.

Regards

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back