awning help for pround new motorhome owner

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by al22, Dec 13, 2010.

1. al22

al22 Read Only Funster

Hi everybody! I have just purchased my first motorhome :Smile: It's a McLouis Lagan 410 (2003) and I would like to buy an awning. I've tried searching loads of sites for advice on what size I need but they all seem to refer to caravan awnings.... Do you measure for motorhomes in the same way? Help! Many thanks, Arlene

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Riverside Leisure, Preston have a good section.

You probably want about 3m x 3m and high enough to clear your door top.

Then choose from £170 to £570. You get what you pay for, 170 thin material to 570 thick material but heavier.

3. al22

al22 Read Only Funster

Wow - that was quick! Thanks for the advice - I'll check if they have a website and give them a call to ask how I measure for the correct size. Cheers! :BigGrin:

4. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi
    Try ebay type in driveaway awning in the mh parts section and a few will come up

5. keith

keith Funster

A couple of ideas are in the 2 photos. As Brian said you pays your money and take your pick.

The small one is Nylon over Fibre Glass poles, much lighter, or the metal frame one, larger and much heavier as well as more room.

We have had the larger one up in a force 8 gale without any problems.

These are both drive away type, not caravan awnings.

Attached Files:

6. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi, what type are you thinking, one fixed to the van like this:

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/Fiamma-F65-S-3.20m-Motorhome-Awning.html

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/categories/Awnings-Annexes-Groundsheets/Fiamma-Zip-Motorhome-Awning-/

Johns Cross do a good deal at the shows.:thumb:

Or a drive away awning ? :Smile:

We had one fixed to the last van, hardy ever used it, had the safari room that fitted on it and used it twice. :BigGrin:

This time we got a free standing kyham screenhouse that we only take when we are going to need it, stand up to strong winds and quick and easy to put up. :Smile: And if we want to go off in the van it saves your pitch.

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=342

Or the one that fits on your van, the Motordome drive away awning :

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=348

I think its best to use the van first and see what you think is best for you. :Laughing: Bob.

7. JayDee

JayDee Funster

When we had our Autosleeper (1996 Amethyst) we had a driveaway awning (a Harrison) which blew to bits in Ireland and Jeff Bowen shipped a new (different) one out to us in two days. We used it because our son was holidaying with us, and he used it as his accommodation.
    Since we got the Dethleffs (A Class Advantage) with its pulldown bed at the front and fixed bed at the rear, we have never used the awning. We do use the wind-out a great deal however, but have never bothered getting a Safari Room. If we want to put a side ot two on it we use a sun screem that slides into the front of the wind out and / or a lightweight nylon type curtain from Lilypad.
    http://www.mysunshade.co.uk/

The awning now stays in the shed unused. So my advice would be - Don't buy an awning unless you're sure you need it. It is a fair amount of money to spend on something that will eat into you payload as well as take up valuable storage space.

John

8. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Welcome to the funsters. :thumb:

I can second what Jaydee says, see if you need one first. We had a safari room (makes a complete awning out of your sun canopy) with the motorhome but apart from a practise run putting it up on the drive we've never used it. Maybe a long stay on one site it might get some use but you need to decide before you go whether it's worth the space it takes up onboard.

9. Dalek

Dalek Read Only Funster

When we first got out Roller Team friends said you must get an awning, never have and never needed one

10. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Hi,

If you give Darren, Matt or Jan a ring they will be able to give you professional advice as to what would be suitable for your van.

Regards

Peter