Awning Disaster (1 Viewer)

Sep 18, 2011
Coventry. England
Funster No
MH
Bessacar
Exp
Since 2009
Final day of our three month tour of Spain and disaster struck, a freak gust of wind whilst pulling in the awning for packing away, whipped the whole frame over the top of the Motorhome, breaking the support and linkage arms, left only with the canvase and front face intact. Checked inside the Motorhome where the three Awning support brackets and bolts are located and found the surround surface damaged in all three areas due to to the impact.
So it looks like a new awning and some repair work to the inside shell of the Motorhome. Has anyone experienced this and had the work done, at what cost? Trying to get idea if to do a DIY or get a professional to carry out the work or a possible insurance claim although I dont hold out much hope on that.

Thanks Basa

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I feel your pain.. I think this is a professional repair.. and for fitting the new awning it needs an access platform (or two pairs of steps) and two people..

Are still in the UK ? If so @Johns_Cross_Motorhomes would supply the awning and undertake repair and fitting .. Peter is forum member and JCM get a good reputation..

Cost..
new awing.. depends on length.. Check Prices with Rose Awnings.. circa £800
Labour is the unknown.. depending on damage 4 - 8hrs at £50 an hour .. estimate £300

I may be way off the mark.. best speak to Peter

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
If the inside is damaged then the outside will be, however you may be able to hide the outside when you fit a new awning (different size/manufacture) and unless you can see the inside the same applies but it depends on how much damage has been caused and if any water ingress likely
Hope everything turns out ok, apart from this did you enjoy your holiday

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
DIY option
Nice Mirror finished stainless plates with rounded corners and polished edges big enough to be glued over the inside damage
and then drilled to take the standard awning spreader plates that were never big enough in the first place, making it not only look like but an actual belt and braces install (y)
G

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry to hear, however this should be covered by insurance I would have thought.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Insurance claim won't be a problem providing you have a proper Motorhome policy, it times like this it's important to have the right policy.

OP
OP
BASA47
Sep 18, 2011
Coventry. England
Funster No
MH
Bessacar
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Guys Thanks for your quick responses I'm going to try the Insurance line once I check out my Insuranace documents taken photos of the damage and will see what they say

Thanks

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Recently had the same issue, had mine repaired by my insurance company. New awning and internal repairs £2200 I was quite surprised at the cost.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Have just renewed my policy (C&CC, £100 cheaper than anyone else I tried), so had the policy booklet to hand and checked it.
As with Xsparks above, as long as you've got a motorhome policy, you shouldn't have any trouble getting the insurer to cough up, subject to the policy excess.
Good luck

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Dependent on the size of your awning, you will have several places that will be damaged.

May I respectfully suggest that this is not the time to be looking at the most economical repair, because that damage both internally and externally will attract damp which will come and bite you in the bum, (technical term) in the long run.

Yes, it may cost you your No Blames Discount (sic) but at least you will have peace of mind.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
It should all be covered under your insurance policy, we are an aproved insurance repairer and you are welcome to call in for an estimate and repair

Peter

OP
OP
BASA47
Sep 18, 2011
Coventry. England
Funster No
MH
Bessacar
Exp
Since 2009
Well Thanks to those who responded to my posting information was most helpful. As I am going to have to replace the awning which is a Fiamma F45 S model I was think it might be an opportunity to look at alternative awnings, does anyone recommend looking at Thule or any other suppliers or should I stay with Fiamma?

Thanks Basa

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I have a Thule/Omnistor awning and much prefer the quality of product compared to a Fiamma which was fitted to my previous MH.

I was in Croatia a few weeks ago and the winds can be horrendous (which it was for a couple of days) and I had fitted the safari room support sides (not the fabric, just the aluminium clamps etc.) and must say the awning stood upto gale force winds as the clamps stopped the fabric from flapping. I was slightly worried as when the wind for underneath it was like a sail but with the safari room supports etc fitted it stopped it from taking off!!

Regards David

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back