Awning Disaster

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by BASA47, Aug 10, 2016.

1. BASA47

BASA47 Funster

Final day of our three month tour of Spain and disaster struck, a freak gust of wind whilst pulling in the awning for packing away, whipped the whole frame over the top of the Motorhome, breaking the support and linkage arms, left only with the canvase and front face intact. Checked inside the Motorhome where the three Awning support brackets and bolts are located and found the surround surface damaged in all three areas due to to the impact.
    So it looks like a new awning and some repair work to the inside shell of the Motorhome. Has anyone experienced this and had the work done, at what cost? Trying to get idea if to do a DIY or get a professional to carry out the work or a possible insurance claim although I dont hold out much hope on that.

Thanks Basa

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I feel your pain.. I think this is a professional repair.. and for fitting the new awning it needs an access platform (or two pairs of steps) and two people..

Are still in the UK ? If so @Johns_Cross_Motorhomes would supply the awning and undertake repair and fitting .. Peter is forum member and JCM get a good reputation..

Cost..
    new awing.. depends on length.. Check Prices with Rose Awnings.. circa £800
    Labour is the unknown.. depending on damage 4 - 8hrs at £50 an hour .. estimate £300

I may be way off the mark.. best speak to Peter

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

If the inside is damaged then the outside will be, however you may be able to hide the outside when you fit a new awning (different size/manufacture) and unless you can see the inside the same applies but it depends on how much damage has been caused and if any water ingress likely
    Hope everything turns out ok, apart from this did you enjoy your holiday

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

DIY option
    Nice Mirror finished stainless plates with rounded corners and polished edges big enough to be glued over the inside damage
    and then drilled to take the standard awning spreader plates that were never big enough in the first place, making it not only look like but an actual belt and braces install (y)
    G

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Phillybarbour

Phillybarbour Read Only Funster

Sorry to hear, however this should be covered by insurance I would have thought.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Insurance claim won't be a problem providing you have a proper Motorhome policy, it times like this it's important to have the right policy.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. BASA47

BASA47 Funster

Hi Guys Thanks for your quick responses I'm going to try the Insurance line once I check out my Insuranace documents taken photos of the damage and will see what they say

Thanks

8. xsparks

xsparks Funster

Recently had the same issue, had mine repaired by my insurance company. New awning and internal repairs £2200 I was quite surprised at the cost.

9. Candapack

Candapack Funster

Have just renewed my policy (C&CC, £100 cheaper than anyone else I tried), so had the policy booklet to hand and checked it.
    As with Xsparks above, as long as you've got a motorhome policy, you shouldn't have any trouble getting the insurer to cough up, subject to the policy excess.
    Good luck

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Dependent on the size of your awning, you will have several places that will be damaged.

May I respectfully suggest that this is not the time to be looking at the most economical repair, because that damage both internally and externally will attract damp which will come and bite you in the bum, (technical term) in the long run.

Yes, it may cost you your No Blames Discount (sic) but at least you will have peace of mind.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

It should all be covered under your insurance policy, we are an aproved insurance repairer and you are welcome to call in for an estimate and repair

Peter

12. BASA47

BASA47 Funster

Well Thanks to those who responded to my posting information was most helpful. As I am going to have to replace the awning which is a Fiamma F45 S model I was think it might be an opportunity to look at alternative awnings, does anyone recommend looking at Thule or any other suppliers or should I stay with Fiamma?

Thanks Basa

13. dpsuk999

dpsuk999 Funster

I have a Thule/Omnistor awning and much prefer the quality of product compared to a Fiamma which was fitted to my previous MH.

I was in Croatia a few weeks ago and the winds can be horrendous (which it was for a couple of days) and I had fitted the safari room support sides (not the fabric, just the aluminium clamps etc.) and must say the awning stood upto gale force winds as the clamps stopped the fabric from flapping. I was slightly worried as when the wind for underneath it was like a sail but with the safari room supports etc fitted it stopped it from taking off!!

Regards David

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1