Awning/Canopy

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Binky, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Binky

Binky Funster

We recently downgraded from a tent to one of these 'ere motorhome thingys after many, many years under canvas. I have transferred my fear of packing away any damp material without unpacking it all again and letting it dry out thoroughly as soon as possible. Does the same apply to the canopy attached to the side of my vehicle, i.e. can I use it in the rain and does it have to be extended and dried thoroughly as soon as possible after being rolled away wet?

2. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

We never really worried too much about our Fiamma awning, but we did like to get it out on a sunny day just in case!:BigGrin:

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ideally you should 'unwrap' it if rolled up wet to allow the fabric to dry thoroughly.

a damp fabric will encourage mould and mildew growth and damage the waterproofing of the fabric.

no problem using it in rain but if you drop one end pole by 6 inches, rain water will run off the lower end taking the weight of water off the fabric and roller mechanism.

we were caught in a torrential downpour in Spain while away from the motorhome.
    on our return to the campsite I found the awning fabric straining under the weight of around 10/15 gallons of water sat on the fabric and the awning (canopy) front rail was actually bending under the weight.

another thing to be cautious of is wind.....a sudden gust of strong wind can lift the whole awning over the roof.....support legs and all and can damage both the awning 'box' and the side of the motorhome where the awning 'box' is fixed.

if you must leave it out in high winds then use a storm strap and long, strong ground pegs.

• Like Like x 1
  4. markymark

markymark Read Only Funster

What would be the best stuff to re waterproof the canapy if its possible?