Awning Advice Please

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Oriel, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Oriel

Oriel

We're picking our MH up this Friday and will be taking a long weekend to test it out :eek:)!

It doesn't have an awning and we're unsure which to buy, if any. The guy at the showroom said that a lot of folk don't use them at all. Is this true?

We're looking at possibly getting one of the drive away ones but we're really not sure. Can anyone offer advice/experiences of the differing types please? We have some mesh type Jormax windbreaks so I'm wondering if it might be best to have one of the pull out types (if that's the right description) .

We don't have children but we do have a dog and think an awning of some sort would be good.

2. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Jormax windbreaks are excellent..
    Does your van have a wind out awning..
    Lots of people don't use awnings but the new airbeam type seem popular and there are posts on here about them.. Kampa is a very popular make.
    Others only use a small porch type awning. If you want these to fit to your van then you would need an awning strip.. If you have a wind out awning then the strip is incorporated...

3. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

Try a few outings before you do anything. See how you get on.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Don't use one. We like to sit outside if the weather's nice and we sit inside if it's not. There's plenty of room in the van and I don't see the point of faffing around with an extra "room" we don't need. We have a wind out canopy though.

We have the Jormax bits to make an enclosure for the dogs (2 windbreaks, gate and van skirt) which they love. They prefer being outdoors so an awning would be no good for them.

5. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

When we were looking for our first motorhome we thought an awning was very important to have. And sure enough in the first couple of outings we used it a lot. All change now. On our recent month away in France, Spain and Portugal we used it for one day only. Mind you we were using it mainly on Aires rather than camp sites.

I would try your motorhome for a while to see if you need it.

6. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

We have a safari room but its too much hassle to put up and down for a few nights. We mostly wild camp anyway so it doesnt really get used.

7. Mel

Mel Funster

Same as above had a Safariroom never used it.
    Bought a vally lodge drive away.(use it in Spain staying for 2 weeks)
    Have a windbreak from Prostore on one side of the windout now.

As peterc10 said try first.
    Enjoy whatever you buy
    Good luck

Mel

• Like Like x 1
  8. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

We only use the drive away awning when the weather is wet, and stsying somewhere for 2 or more nights. It is very useful to sort out the dog rather than mucking up the van.

When dry we rarely use it, PIA to put up and pack away, if we did'nt have dog doubt we would ever use it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Fiamma windout was the first thing we added to van-it gets used a lot !
    Next was a driveaway-used it twice,sold it. Then Lilypad windblockers-used a few times,still in locker but not used often.
    A cheap porch awning lasted one winter at Marjal and ended up in their skip when we left. Currently have a Kampa Rally Air-only take it with us if we know we'll be in same place for more than a week or to a Meet were the extra room will come in handy if it rains a lot.
    I found the attaching an awning to the slot in the Fiamma a pain and awning ends up the depth of the Fiamma away from the van-a separate awning rail just below the Fiamma serves us much better.

10. Oriel

Oriel

Thank you for your replies.

I think we'll take the windbreaks and try those first. I did wonder why the person who bought the MH new didn't have one added as he had quite a few other extras fitted. We've been caravanners up till now and I know putting up an awning isn't fun... and ours is an inflatable one, so probably quicker than others to erect. We're getting really excited now - roll on Friday!

• Like Like x 2
  11. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

You will really enjoy motorhoming then. Set up on site in 10 minutes and sit with a nice glass of wine watching the awning arguments of the caravanners around you. :D

12. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

We use the van as a windbreak - never felt the need for anything else.

Awnings are handy for keeping the sun off in southern Europe when you need a bit of outdoor shade, or on summer days in the UK when it's (usually) raining and you'd still like to sit outdoors. The factory fit Fiamma f45 canopy does the business for us - just be careful if it gets windy.

Also, keep an eye out for Vietato L'Accesso signs in Italy, as this Italian MH owner didn't.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  13. ABZSteve

ABZSteve Funster

We bought a Vango Kela Airaway a few weeks ago. I have only had it up once for three days but will use it more on longer trips and will gauge requirement on shorter trips. I would never dream of putting it up whilst it is raining but hopefully our choosen weekend trips away are dry (y)

A few reasons it works for us:-
    1. Cleaning dirty/wet dog prior to entering Moho. He doesn't get past the hab door area (covered up) until he is clean and dry.
    2. Removing dirty footwear before entering the van. We don't get past the hab door area (covered up) until we are clean and dry.
    3. Wind break barbie area if required.
    4. We want to cook fish but not in the van so the awning will be the fish kitchen :)
    5. Last but by no means least, my wife is not good in the sun after radiation treatment. If this was the only reason, it is reason enough for us.

So, I guess what I am saying is, try without first then think of the reasons you may need one. If you are happy to spend the money and not use it 100% of the time then that is fine; it works for us.

• Like Like x 1
  14. NickNic

The tie down kit is absolutely essential. (y)

15. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I prefer to just wind it back in if the breeze gets up. I never leave it out overnight.

Having used a 6.5 sq metre sail on a windsurfer I know just how much force can be generated by a good bit of fabric in the right conditions.

16. The Dude

The Dude Funster

I agree. Even with a slight breeze the flapping and creaking just makes us very anxious so we always tie it down with awning tabs and ratchet straps. We never leave it out overnight or unattended if leaving the van.

17. NickNic

We've got the Fiamma tie down kit so the springs tension it properly and allow some movement. The risk with ratchet straps is that if it's held too tightly there can still be damage. I always leave it out overnight unless it's already really windy when we go to bed.

18. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Yep, quite agree. It is why we rarely use our awning - the worrying and faffing about is just too much, especially as we rarely stay more than 2 or 3 nights in any one place. .

• Like Like x 1
  19. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

ebay, Gumntree etc are full of second hand motorhome awnings.. many hardly used.. ask yourself why

but it's hard not to think 'caravan'.. once a tugger always a tugger :LOL:..

but you bought a motorhome.. forget anything that takes time to set up.. awnings etc.. may as well have kept the caravan ..

the beauty of a motorhome is the spontaneity.. drive up camp.. get up next day, move on..

Sun shade is useful both for sun and rain.. but having seen a few over the roof and it is not a pretty sight.. the damage to the van can be extensive.. not to mention a wrecked awning..
    for that reason, even with tie down straps, I would never leave mine out untended or overnight

20. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

We have only ever used an awning at a rally as it is the only time we are not moving on the next day. All in all do not find a use for it.