Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We're picking our MH up this Friday and will be taking a long weekend to test it out :eek:)!

It doesn't have an awning and we're unsure which to buy, if any. The guy at the showroom said that a lot of folk don't use them at all. Is this true?

We're looking at possibly getting one of the drive away ones but we're really not sure. Can anyone offer advice/experiences of the differing types please? We have some mesh type Jormax windbreaks so I'm wondering if it might be best to have one of the pull out types (if that's the right description) .

We don't have children but we do have a dog and think an awning of some sort would be good.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Jormax windbreaks are excellent..
Does your van have a wind out awning..
Lots of people don't use awnings but the new airbeam type seem popular and there are posts on here about them.. Kampa is a very popular make.
Others only use a small porch type awning. If you want these to fit to your van then you would need an awning strip.. If you have a wind out awning then the strip is incorporated...

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Try a few outings before you do anything. See how you get on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Don't use one. We like to sit outside if the weather's nice and we sit inside if it's not. There's plenty of room in the van and I don't see the point of faffing around with an extra "room" we don't need. We have a wind out canopy though.

We have the Jormax bits to make an enclosure for the dogs (2 windbreaks, gate and van skirt) which they love. They prefer being outdoors so an awning would be no good for them.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
When we were looking for our first motorhome we thought an awning was very important to have. And sure enough in the first couple of outings we used it a lot. All change now. On our recent month away in France, Spain and Portugal we used it for one day only. Mind you we were using it mainly on Aires rather than camp sites.

I would try your motorhome for a while to see if you need it.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We have a safari room but its too much hassle to put up and down for a few nights. We mostly wild camp anyway so it doesnt really get used.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Same as above had a Safariroom never used it.
Bought a vally lodge drive away.(use it in Spain staying for 2 weeks)
Have a windbreak from Prostore on one side of the windout now.

As peterc10 said try first.
Enjoy whatever you buy
Good luck

Mel

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We only use the drive away awning when the weather is wet, and stsying somewhere for 2 or more nights. It is very useful to sort out the dog rather than mucking up the van.

When dry we rarely use it, PIA to put up and pack away, if we did'nt have dog doubt we would ever use it.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Fiamma windout was the first thing we added to van-it gets used a lot !
Next was a driveaway-used it twice,sold it. Then Lilypad windblockers-used a few times,still in locker but not used often.
A cheap porch awning lasted one winter at Marjal and ended up in their skip when we left. Currently have a Kampa Rally Air-only take it with us if we know we'll be in same place for more than a week or to a Meet were the extra room will come in handy if it rains a lot.
I found the attaching an awning to the slot in the Fiamma a pain and awning ends up the depth of the Fiamma away from the van-a separate awning rail just below the Fiamma serves us much better.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thank you for your replies.

I think we'll take the windbreaks and try those first. I did wonder why the person who bought the MH new didn't have one added as he had quite a few other extras fitted. We've been caravanners up till now and I know putting up an awning isn't fun... and ours is an inflatable one, so probably quicker than others to erect. We're getting really excited now - roll on Friday!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We use the van as a windbreak - never felt the need for anything else.

Awnings are handy for keeping the sun off in southern Europe when you need a bit of outdoor shade, or on summer days in the UK when it's (usually) raining and you'd still like to sit outdoors. The factory fit Fiamma f45 canopy does the business for us - just be careful if it gets windy.

Also, keep an eye out for Vietato L'Accesso signs in Italy, as this Italian MH owner didn't.

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
We bought a Vango Kela Airaway a few weeks ago. I have only had it up once for three days but will use it more on longer trips and will gauge requirement on shorter trips. I would never dream of putting it up whilst it is raining but hopefully our choosen weekend trips away are dry (y)

A few reasons it works for us:-
1. Cleaning dirty/wet dog prior to entering Moho. He doesn't get past the hab door area (covered up) until he is clean and dry.
2. Removing dirty footwear before entering the van. We don't get past the hab door area (covered up) until we are clean and dry.
3. Wind break barbie area if required.
4. We want to cook fish but not in the van so the awning will be the fish kitchen :)
5. Last but by no means least, my wife is not good in the sun after radiation treatment. If this was the only reason, it is reason enough for us.

So, I guess what I am saying is, try without first then think of the reasons you may need one. If you are happy to spend the money and not use it 100% of the time then that is fine; it works for us.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I prefer to just wind it back in if the breeze gets up. I never leave it out overnight.

Having used a 6.5 sq metre sail on a windsurfer I know just how much force can be generated by a good bit of fabric in the right conditions.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
The tie down kit is absolutely essential. (y)
I agree. Even with a slight breeze the flapping and creaking just makes us very anxious so we always tie it down with awning tabs and ratchet straps. We never leave it out overnight or unattended if leaving the van.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I agree. Even with a slight breeze the flapping and creaking just makes us very anxious so we always tie it down with awning tabs and ratchet straps. We never leave it out overnight or unattended if leaving the van.

We've got the Fiamma tie down kit so the springs tension it properly and allow some movement. The risk with ratchet straps is that if it's held too tightly there can still be damage. I always leave it out overnight unless it's already really windy when we go to bed.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yep, quite agree. It is why we rarely use our awning - the worrying and faffing about is just too much, especially as we rarely stay more than 2 or 3 nights in any one place. .

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
ebay, Gumntree etc are full of second hand motorhome awnings.. many hardly used.. ask yourself why

but it's hard not to think 'caravan'.. once a tugger always a tugger :LOL:..

but you bought a motorhome.. forget anything that takes time to set up.. awnings etc.. may as well have kept the caravan ..

the beauty of a motorhome is the spontaneity.. drive up camp.. get up next day, move on..

Sun shade is useful both for sun and rain.. but having seen a few over the roof and it is not a pretty sight.. the damage to the van can be extensive.. not to mention a wrecked awning..
for that reason, even with tie down straps, I would never leave mine out untended or overnight

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
We have only ever used an awning at a rally as it is the only time we are not moving on the next day. All in all do not find a use for it.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I prefer to just wind it back in if the breeze gets up. I never leave it out overnight.

Having used a 6.5 sq metre sail on a windsurfer I know just how much force can be generated by a good bit of fabric in the right conditions.
I like to wind thE awning in at night. However there were a couple of occasions this wintEr in Morocco when the wind got up so quickly it would have been more dangerous to take off the tie down straps to wind it in than to leave it well strapped down.
We use two ratchet straps in the awning rail slot and a Fiamma end to end strap. It survived a full blown gale in the Sahara which ended up with our camping carpet buried under an inch of sand by next morning.
I would alwayS choose to wind it in though if I can.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Prefer cheaper utility tents/day rooms to awnings. Would agree with others, try for a few trips first before spending any money.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Prefer cheaper utility tents/day rooms to awnings. Would agree with others, try for a few trips first before spending any money.
I agree, 2m x 2m utility tent for us, five minutes to put up and very compact when stored, still rarely use it !

We occasionally wind the awning out for an hour or two. Have full safari room and all the bits, never been used since we purchased the van - must tell you something....

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have a safari room which we used quite a lot until we changed the van and it didn't fit the wind out on the new one:doh:

We also have a Kampa Rally which we have used quite a lot too.

I prefer cooking and sitting outside the van whatever the weather and only really sit in the van to watch a film or in Winter.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We used the awning on our last van quite a lot, extra space, very useful when away with the grandchildren, especially when it is wet. Great place for grandparents to sit and have a glass or two while the children watch a pre bedtime dvd or play board games. Like to cook outside too great when wet or very windy. Stores pram high chair etc overnight when family camp with us. Having said that we didn't take it with us to spain last autumn but could have done with some sort of windblocker for the cooler weather. Presently looking for a replacement as the sunncamp is too long for our present awning. Previous owner had put a rail underneath that is being removed because of problems, will ask if there is any way to fit a 4m rail and then we can continue with the one we have. Will need to put a campbed in there when we take the family away, and layout of this van means it would be good for us to have somewhere to sit and relax when the kids have gone to bed. At the moment looks like i will be sleeping in the garage lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back