Avtex Snipe (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Been looking to buy a Sat system for sometime and after following this thread and reading others think i will go for the Snipe, what would be the best sat receiver box to match ?
We have 2 tvs + ariel and booster,could these be fed through sat receiver
Sorry if sounds a naff question but i have till now resisted having sat system in van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No you would connect your aerial to the aerial input on the TV and use its internal tuner.
For sat box would you want dual LNB? to watch one channel and record another etc
Sat dish connects to your sat receiver and then to TV by HDMI lead

On your TV you would select the "Source" or input and a list should come up on screen

Scart
TV
HDMI 1
HDMI 2
Aux1 etc

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
These are excellent and also sold with different names on them.
This is open boxed but new and £70 less than list price at £79.99
Broken Link Removed

Even cheaper
Broken Link Removed

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
These are excellent and also sold with different names on them.
This is open boxed but new and £70 less than list price at £79.99
Broken Link Removed

Even cheaper
Broken Link Removed
If you have the room that is a much better option than the built in FTA tunners you get in TV's.

Andy, am I right in thinking a Freesat box will only tune to Astra 2 or is it possible to get Hotbird etc. through them?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I'm not sure Lenny but I do know you can tune to all free to air channels not just the Freesat selection. I would imagine that if you select a different satellite and do a free to air retune it should find channels.
These are as small as they come and 12 volts too!
I will try it next weekend (y)

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I'm not sure Lenny but I do know you can tune to all free to air channels not just the Freesat selection. I would imagine that if you select a different satellite and do a free to air retune it should find channels.
These are as small as they come and 12 volts too!
I will try it next weekend (y)
Thanks, not really practical to fit a separate receiver in my van even with a remote IR extender, however would like to hear the results you get.
P1000059.jpg

P1000056.jpg

P1000057.jpg

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Thanks, not really practical to fit a separate receiver in my van even with a remote IR extender, however would like to hear the results you get.
I tried Hotbird today to see if it works and yes no problem. I just sent the sat to find it and then into Freesat box setup to add non freesat channels.
It found 39 TV 5 Audio
CA_02231520252200-L.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks Andy, makes getting a box worth considering next time I get p**ed off with the FTA, probably could fit one on the wall under hob on on the floor under the draw.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
There are cheaper ones Lenny and the twin LNB goes to waste without a matching dish. However contrary to belief it still records but only if you select the channel you want beforehand.

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
View attachment 55001
View attachment 55002
View attachment 55003

Hi Lenny,

We've got a similar but I think smaller Hymer like yours-it's a Hymer Exsis i578 (6.7M) with the same TV installation. Our Avtex Max Pro has all the satellites listed on its control box, but only use Astra 2 & not tried the others.

If anybody wants it we've got a repaired Avtex 16" TV (previous model) for £100-slight snag we're resident at Parc Verger Limousin Perigord France pro tem.

Roger

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi Roger,
It's not the satellite control that's a problem, it's the TV channel listing that's a pain when using a Free To Air receiver rather than a Freesat one, which you gives the channels in the correct more usable order.

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Lenny,

Our previous 16" Avtex TV gave us all the channels in alphabetical order & the only way to sort them was to pick favourites & that was a pain.

The latest TV sorts automatically & is a lot better.

Roger

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny,

Our previous 16" Avtex TV gave us all the channels in alphabetical order & the only way to sort them was to pick favourites & that was a pain.

The latest TV sorts automatically & is a lot better.

Roger
That's fine until you tune to a different satellite then on our Cello it looses the favorites.

Dec 9, 2013
Derby
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Yes I have been looking at the sma 80 but it looks a bit flimsy,think I will go with mobilsat, got a snipe works great with sky as far south as gib ( not uk channels) if you go further round to conil sky didn't work, but reception is very good on other satalites ,so if anyone is looking for a snipe not yet a year old I have one for sale.

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
CHIPY 210 how much for snipe?ta

Dec 9, 2013
Derby
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I Think I have sold it if the chap doesn't turn up at the weekend I will post you thanks spotty 1

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
An update to our Avtex Snipe Pro-max we're now at Le Cabri, Duras, east of Bordeaux http://www.lecabri.eu.com/cabri/index.htm

Pleased to say that after an initial re-tuning hiccup we can get all UK TV channels including BBC East Midlands for the Derby County football. This includes our latest relative horror story-conceding 2 goals in injury time to throw away 2 points!

The claim for the dish UK channels was as far south as Toulouse-may be there later.

All the best,

Roger

Apr 30, 2012
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Exec
Exp
Since 2012
Roger, thanks for the info on Snipe I've been following this thread with interest. Have ordered the Pro Max version from Tyrone Burgess at Auto Additions, he's booked to fit it next week. Be very interested to hear how you get on with it in Toulouse, if you get there.
Cheers. Terran:Ta2:

Wobby

Free Member
Aug 26, 2007
Hailsham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
We have the Snipe too, although not the pro max. We got reception down as far as Limoges after that hit and miss. However that suits us as we don't watch that much TV and for news we can go to one of the other satellites.. Ours with baseplate cost £700 and I fitted it myself, it also came with a two year warranty.
Wobby

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Roger, thanks for the info on Snipe I've been following this thread with interest. Have ordered the Pro Max version from Tyrone Burgess at Auto Additions, he's booked to fit it next week. Be very interested to hear how you get on with it in Toulouse, if you get there.
Cheers. Terran:Ta2:

Thanks Terran,

We used Tyrone & when we had problems due to a fault on our old Avtex TV, he brought both a new Avtex TV & a new Pro Max to see where the fault lay. It turned out to be the old Avtex TV so we bought the new one from Tyrone & there was no charge for his services. The faulty TV was collected, repaired & returned under the 3 year warranty for free.

So all good so far. Toulouse maybe be late 'cos we think we've found a house here. Property/food/€s are getting cheaper with the fall of the €-.71p at the moment!:) Shame we made our currency transfer when we did...but life is good here...

Apr 30, 2012
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Exec
Exp
Since 2012
Glad you've found a house, hope all goes smoothly for you. Now if your name was George Soros you'd have waited till next Thursday fortnight to exchange currencies and saved yourself a fortune ;) OR, you're like the rest of us hard working grafters too busy getting on with life to develop 20 : 20 vision in hindsight. :whistle: We're looking forward to seeing Tyrone next Tuesday and thank you very much for sharing his details, I'll make sure he gets his commission payment directed to France. (y) All the best. Terran

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Just another add for how great the 'normal' Avtex Snipe is.

Had ours a year and there was a problem with both the handset and dish. Replaced with new very quickly by Avtex in the UK.

Simple to use and perfectly good wherever we have been so far.

Best regards

Chris

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Just fitted the standard selfsat snipe , easy to wire up , just hope sikaflex is as good as you lot say it is !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back