LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I'm contemplating a Snipe (or similar system) for free to air satellite channels across UK and maybe near continent, not overly bothered about reception in South of France onwards etc. With this in mind, I would really appreciate your input on the following...

I appreciate the Avtex Snipe Pro Max is an updated system with claimed performance of a larger traditional dish than the standard Snipe or Snipe Pro. However, for roof mounting purposes, given the price differential, is there any real benefit in the Snipe Pro over the standard Snipe?

Are there any alternative systems of a similar type/price I should also consider? I quite like the idea of smaller/flatter system to a dome.

Thanks in advance for any pointers! :)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi RowleyB QC
I've recently bought the standard Snipe. Very pleased with it so far around the UK, but won't get a chance to try it in France until I go over there in the summer. Folk give the standard model good reports abroad though.

I considered the Pro model, but the price hike was quite significant for very little gain. It seemed that you were paying a lot more, just to have a double input for a recorder.

I also decided not to permanently roof-mount mine. Didn't want to drill yet more holes in the roof and anyway, I wasn't competent enough. I was bound to hit some strut or underlying hidden feature!! I just pop the Snipe through a large Hekki rooflight and plant it on the roof. Bit of a palaver, but at least I don't have holes, or the wind resistance and drag. The other reason that I didn't fit it, was if I changed the van, it would have to go with it and I'd need to buy another Snipe.

I'm not a great lover of domes, although there's those that swear by them. They too, are pricey and add to the height measurements for tolls and ferries.

Haven't had any comparison to help you with, because I only had a bog-standard tripod exterior dish before and spent ages shouting through a window to the wife to see if we had a picture :mad: The Snipe roof profile is probably as low as most other dishes and unless you have an absolute massive dish, the Snipe horn array compares quite well, signal wise.

However, there are better experts than me! I found @lennyhb most helpful.

James

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have the standard Snipe very pleased with the performance locks onto Astra 2 a long way south in France the reception ares doesn't appear much worse that the Oyster 85 on the last van.

The only advantage I can see with the Pro it can be wired to fold down with the ignition turned on, as the standard snipe goes down if you turn the power off & on you could wire in a timer relay to turn the power off for a few seconds to achieve a similar result.

Builder147

Free Member
Oct 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class bessy E560
Exp
Getting the hang of it
We have the snipe pro and very pleased as well, it is wired into the ignition so if you do forget to put it down it auto goes down when the ignition is switched on. Have only tried it in the UK so far but no troubles at all. We had ours fitted by "outdoor bits" in Exmouth as with a 140w solar panel and 2 new banner 110amh batteries, they made a good job of it all,very pleased.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landyguy

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2013
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Serrano
Exp
newbie from caravan - 5yrs now
We have the snipe pro and very pleased as well, it is wired into the ignition so if you do forget to put it down it auto goes down when the ignition is switched on. Have only tried it in the UK so far but no troubles at all. We had ours fitted by "outdoor bits" in Exmouth as with a 140w solar panel and 2 new banner 110amh batteries, they made a good job of it all,very pleased.

Landyguy

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2013
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Serrano
Exp
newbie from caravan - 5yrs now
Could you let me know much all that work cost as I am considering some if not all of that equipment upgrade.

leeboy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm contemplating a Snipe (or similar system) for free to air satellite channels across UK and maybe near continent, not overly bothered about reception in South of France onwards etc. With this in mind, I would really appreciate your input on the following...

I appreciate the Avtex Snipe Pro Max is an updated system with claimed performance of a larger traditional dish than the standard Snipe or Snipe Pro. However, for roof mounting purposes, given the price differential, is there any real benefit in the Snipe Pro over the standard Snipe?

Are there any alternative systems of a similar type/price I should also consider? I quite like the idea of smaller/flatter system to a dome.

Thanks in advance for any pointers! :)
Just installed snipe to our Chausson, Love it!
Lee.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We have the snipe, the pro didn't exist when we got ours.
The main advantage in the pro is the extra arms for better stability in wind etc.
Think I would have paid the extra given the chance.

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
Snipe or pro? Fitted or not fitted(storing in motorhome) when i look at photos one is square the other oblong,what are the sizes in box?????? Many thanks Scotty

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I fitted a Snipe (not pro)to roof of my MH this week, put in Sky box this morning to try and every thing works fine. Switched off power to snipe and held its position even though its blowing a gale.
Did want to use it as a portable unit as we might change MH in future but its quite a chunky and heavy unit to lug around, so as it came with base plate easy enough to mount on roof.

OP
OP
RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Snipe or pro? Fitted or not fitted(storing in motorhome) when i look at photos one is square the other oblong,what are the sizes in box?????? Many thanks Scotty

I believe the Snipe and Snipe Pro both use the same size receiver panel (the Pro is designed to be a roof mounted system apparently), the Snipe Pro Max has the larger receiver panel.

Last edited:

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
Hi jaygee,did yours come with plate? If so where from and at what cost. Did it come with case ifso do you know the size of it inc case for finding somewhere to put if i dont fit cheers Scotty

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
bought it off ebay from here

Broken Link Removed
seller = Broken Link Removed
I made offer & got it for £570 incl delivery. It came quickly and good communications ( I thought they hadn't sent the base plate so contacted him to complain, he phoned straight back & asked me to check it wasn't in the box - lo & behold it was tucked between two pieces of cardboard!! very embarrassed)
It was the only one we found that came with the base plate.
Can't give you measurements as the case is in the storeroom at work - they should be on the site somewhere?
Tony put it up on the motorhome roof in the week and has just been out there today and set it up using our sky box (we have ordered a 12v box but not yet here) he was only out there a few mins and came in & said it was all up & running & was really easy to do - for him (a technophobe!!!) to be able to do it it must be easy - he can't usually even turn the computer on without creating a problem :Eeek: and there is usually a lot of :swear2::swear2::swear2::swear2: when he's doing anything technical:)
Jacky

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
RBQC if he had a fixing plate in the box you must be able to fix the standard one on the roof?

OP
OP
RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
The original Snipe promotional video includes reference to roof mounting in addition to it being a portable unit. I can only assume the Pro was then released to improve on the original specifically for the purpose of roof mounting - I think it is only the base which has changed to become circular, with addition of strengthened arm/strut to better support the panel. However, the Pro is a hell of an uplift in price for that modification over the original version.

But I am no expert here...

OP
OP
RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
RBQC if he had a fixing plate in the box you must be able to fix the standard one on the roof?

Well let's hope so, as I've just purchased one from the same eBay site as jaygee! :)

They are still taking reasonable offers...

Thanks for the tip Jaygee!

OP
OP
RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007

This is the Snipe promotional video for the original unit which explicitly shows roof mounting:

Also, Webbs are an official "Avtex Snipe Installer" and continue to sell the original unit and roof mount such.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years

case measures 240 x 530 x 600

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
Many thanks going to search and see what best deal i can get fitted? Ta

OP
OP
RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
SWMBO has just called to let me know the Snipe has now arrived at home, complete with the additional vehicle mounting base plate!! :)

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
If i buy the same as RBQC does any body know where i can get it fixed by approved fitter( warranty) in Kent? Ta

OP
OP
RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Have you tried the dealer locator on Avtex website, they list "authorised Avtex snipe installers".

Broken Link Removed

However, I called my local "authorised installer", and they gave me the number of the independent AV guy who they use for such jobs, so go figure...

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
RBQC are you fitting yours or have you had estimate for fitting? Ta

OP
OP
RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I don't trust myself not to bugger it up, so I'll not be doing it. The AV guy estimated 2 to 3 hours to fit at £40 per hour.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back