Avtex "Bee sting" Aerial vs. 15/20 ? year old Maxview Help Please ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Tea Bag, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    I am no stranger to the Bee sting arial from Avtex,having had one on an elddis shamal 2013,it did not work,to put it kindly,neither did the c/van,which was gone/off hired within 6 months and led to us returning to m/homing. I now have the bee sting arial,(I can think of better things to call it) on the m/h,it works outside of Morrisons in Elland yorkshire,it even gets 40 channels when across the valley from Crich Stand Derbyshire, in direct line and height,while on the phone to an Avtex engineer,he said it appeared to be only working at 50%.
    Where it fails is on our yard,no signal zero/zilch,double blank!!.Enter the 15/20 yr old Max view,mounted on an old piece of tube.pointing down the valley,NO POWER FEED !!!....... 100 + channels.
    " Is it me ?"
    I am loath to take it off,put it under the back wheels of the unit and back over it,this is a remedy i resort to in times of frustration,as it would mean weeks of strained relations with my good wife. Any help would be appreciated,accept the "putting it under the back....... "
    As an ex boy scout,i will continue to smile and whistle in the face of adversity .... this is helped by my being outside of a good amount of 7.9% beer.
    Thanks in advance for any input/ideas on this matter.
    Tea Bag (Plus some 7.9% alcool ? That is how it is spelt )

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Maybe the amplifier is not switched on if an avtex engineer says only working 50%

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi Peter
    Thanks for your input,that is what i was told by Avtex engineer while talking to him,(light was on),plus the supplier,however,on both occasions the arial"power light" switch has been on/illuminated,that's why i put about the Trusty M/View,having NO power LOL.
    Thanks again for your help,while reading the posts on here,you keep coming up with very good information on all sorts of subjects and i thank you for that as well,keep up the good work.
    Tea Bag.

4. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

If that's the omnidirectional one, reception will be very patchy if any. A directional one is tons better, once you've found out which way to point it of course.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

No matter what people like Avtex say, they cannot beat physics.. A 'beesting' type aerial is just a pretty bit of wire and relies entirely on two things.. A HUGE signal available and even then it needs a broadband amplifier to get even patchy reception

• Like Like x 1
  6. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

put simply, the beesting type aerials are only a small length of wire encased in plastic. the length is determined by the frequency range you are trying to tune to. what you call the power supply is simply an amplifer that takes n a weak signal and boosts it

the old tech maxview aerial is better because it is bigger so picks up the signal better. much like the old days of transistor radios, where you pulled up the telescopic aerial to improve signal. size is extremely important

what may well be holding the new aerial back is what the aerial is mounted to, known as the ground plane. a good groundplane will improve a fixed aerial by 50% or more. you could try dismantling the aerial and cleaning the connection, or if its been mounted on a plastic panel, then fit a sheet of aluminium foil underneath. dont waste too much time though, as it will never be great

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    Thanks for ALL the above,you have confirmed my suspicions ,do you think that if the wife reads these posts,i can........ "Put it under the rear wheels and reverse over the Bee !!! Thing ? Oh thrice LOL.
    Tea Bag.
    PS. NO prizes for the correct answer !!

9. Terry

Terry Funster

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Tea bag put it under the front wheels if the wife will moan about it going under the back wheels
    Everyone's a winner

11. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi Gorse Hill
    Result....... Win Win
    Tea Bag

12. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

If that doesn't work mate, give it me I can can run over it for u
    On a serious note I have a avtex aerial which gets it power from the TV and I've never failed to get a reception but not sure if it's the same one mines in a figure of 8 shape small with a suction pad on the bottom for mounting on the roof cost about 30 quid and been very good so far, hoping I don't have to run over mine otherwise the assistance manager might be on my case tea bag

• Like Like x 1
  13. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

I have the same aerial as Gorse Hill. It performed well in France too. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

The figure 8 aerial is still not great but is TWENTY times better than the bee sting things !!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. CazPaul

CazPaul Read Only Funster

So what is the best quick, easy to use aerial, as we are after one.

One that just sticks on the side of the van, no holes in the roof(We have an aerial point so ideal to just connect the wire)

Paul.

16. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

The best, in line with advice above, is the largest domestic Yagi (ie standard TV) aerial you are prepared to carry, mounted as high as possible, in any manner that suits you, and plugged into the side of your van. Or go satellite - no tuning and same signal everywhere (avoid trees though),

• Like Like x 2
  17. Hymie

Hymie Funster

Hi Teabag, we have one of these which came with the van.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/360965844630?nav=SEARCH

It sits on a pole and clips to the side of the van, is omnidirectional when I twist it :) and gets a good signal just about everywhere.

HTH.

Hymie.

• Like Like x 1