Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Ex tower now converted
Hi. We have a snipe and avtex TV but can't get it to pick anything up. It scans but nothing!? Came with the van (new to us) How can we check there is signal going to the TV? The Ariel lead is at the TV point and we're assuming it is wired to the snipe. Driving us mad but as we didn't fit it, not sure where to start!:)

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
We have a avtex and the satellite side of it broke down once, It worked fine with a normal aerial.
I take it your avtex is the one with the built in satellite tuner.

OP
OP
Golygfor

Golygfor

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Ex tower now converted
Yes. It's an 188DRS off the top of my head. I'm thinking it's a prob with either the snipe or wiring...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I would say it's the Avtex if anything.

I am not impressed with them.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Does your snipe have a seperate control box with the pre programmed Satallites, can you hear the dish turning

OP
OP
Golygfor

Golygfor

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Ex tower now converted
Does your snipe have a seperate control box with the pre programmed Satallites, can you hear the dish turning

Yes it does. We put it on Astra 2 and it finds it. Go to TV, satellite and scan. Nothing...

OP
OP
Golygfor

Golygfor

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Ex tower now converted
Not that I know of. Can I see if a normal TV works? There is no Ariel on the van, just satellite. We have a separate decoder box if needed. It all seems so complicated.....!!!!!:(

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
If you have a separate decoder then yes try it on a normal tele.

Dec 16, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years
To test whether the signal is getting to the tv then I guess a signal meter would be required - plugged into the Tv connection point - available for less than £10. The connector for the satellite would normally be a threaded 'f connector' rather than push in coax connector. If no signal then you could check if it is wiring by connecting the meter directly to the snipe on the roof.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I would say it's the Avtex if anything.

I am not impressed with them.
Yes, they could be very helpful as they were with me. 2 year old Avtex and no use in France. Their very helpful advice was to buy a new one. Not get a box to make HD but get a new TV.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Yes it does. We put it on Astra 2 and it finds it. Go to TV, satellite and scan. Nothing...
Sounds like the dish is finding the Satellite and your decoder in the tv isnt working, when its doing its scan can you see if its finding any channels. When mines scans you can see as it finds channels before its finished scanning.

OP
OP
Golygfor

Golygfor

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Ex tower now converted
Sounds like the dish is finding the Satellite and your decoder in the tv isnt working, when its doing its scan can you see if its finding any channels. When mines scans you can see as it finds channels before its finished scanning.

Thanks everyone for very sensible answers and help xxx

Absolutely nothing showing in the search. Blue bar travels with % showing and then 0. Will find a signal meter and try that too. Have also emailed Avtex.

When we sort this prob, As we have 2 TV points, can we watch both simultaneously? Obviously not gonna buy 2 avtexs at the mo. Would it be worth fitting an Ariel too? Is that an expensive job?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks everyone for very sensible answers and help xxx

Absolutely nothing showing in the search. Blue bar travels with % showing and then 0. Will find a signal meter and try that too. Have also emailed Avtex.

When we sort this prob, As we have 2 TV points, can we watch both simultaneously? Obviously not gonna buy 2 avtexs at the mo. Would it be worth fitting an Ariel too? Is that an expensive job?
I would think to watch two TV's with different channels on you'd need a twin LNB, if you have another sat box like a sky one try that and see if it finds any channels if so its the tv

OP
OP
Golygfor

Golygfor

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Ex tower now converted
When our Avtex last broke down we had it collected, repaired and delivered back to us in 5 days.
Can't fault Avtex for their quick turn round.

Thanks. It was our first night in MH last night so we don't know if it was working previously or if it's the TV. Hopefully testing tomorrow will shed some light.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
When you say (of the snipe) that it gets Astra 2, how do you know? If the signal bar is zero and quality zero, it doesn't sound like it has found Astra 2. Have you tried finding other satellites such as 19 east or 23 east to see whether Avtex scans in programs on those sats?
Do you know anyone with a sky dish or other satellite dish that you could plug the Avtex into and see whether you can view on the Avtex?
I have the same Avtex but a Roadpro dish and you can select other sats (the default is Astra 2) but you can select other satellites. Also, are you sure that the Avtex has the Astra working transponders loaded? The first Avtex, that I bought new from Amazon, was programmed for Germany and none of the Astra channels for the UK were programmed. I found Avtex really helpful and I returned the Avtex to Amazon, got a refund and Avtex supplied the same model at the Amazon price and threw in a hard carry case.

OP
OP
Golygfor

Golygfor

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Ex tower now converted
Thanks all. Will let you know when we have a minute to sort it. All suggestions welcome. It may be a splitter issue so gonna try that too.

Yes it is plugged in to the right socket!! But thanks for checking!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
When our Avtex last broke down we had it collected, repaired and delivered back to us in 5 days.
Can't fault Avtex for their quick turn round.

That's true, but it seems they get a lot of practice.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Nowt wrong with the Avtex service.. MUCHO MUCHO wrong with the kit and the repair bills !!
We have had two.. Both failed within 15 months of new ( in fact the second one was just 16 days out of warranty )
Told them to just keep the second one.. Bought a Cello to replace it.. That was 4 years ago and it is still spot on

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Also worth checking the cable connections. Had an aerial cabling mod done by a motorhome dealer who was doing some other work on our motorhome shortly after we bought it. The Avtex scanned and found nothing. It turned out to be a duff connection that would make and break when we tweaked the cable.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If you have a splitter make sure it's the right type some have a way of carrying electric current for magic eye etc

OP
OP
Golygfor

Golygfor

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Ex tower now converted
Update after having Moho back from dealer: we ordered a new control box for the snipe direct from Avtex and had it fitted whilst Moho was with dealer sorting fridge. Had it back and the blue light for gps still isn't lit and not working. Man from Avtex said it should be on when we rang. Dealer said it was working?!? Can anyone confirm the blue light should always be lit? Aarrhhhhh.....

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
When the Avtex is connected to the electricity (as opposed to the aerial/dish) but not turned on, the little blue light on the bottom right corner of the Avtex will be lit. You then have to press the power button on the remote and the blue light changes to red.

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
When the Avtex is connected to the electricity (as opposed to the aerial/dish) but not turned on, the little blue light on the bottom right corner of the Avtex will be lit. You then have to press the power button on the remote and the blue light changes to red.
The OP was referring to the blue GPS light on the Snipe control unit, not the blue light on the TV.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Interesting thread. I've just taken delivery of a brand new Avtex 8 Series 16" TV, and on testing it tonight have had no luck either auto or manual tuning in to anything from channels 21 to 61 UK. When I go into setup it's not showing signal strength for any channel - nothing.

It's connected to a small satellite dish I have on my conservatory, which works fine with a 12v Ross satellite tuner linked to my computer, so it's nothing to do with the aerial connection. I'm changing the aerial lead from the Avtex to the Ross and am getting loads of channels on the Ross, nothing on the Avtex.

Is it possible that dish size matters with Avtex? I'm thinking a return may be in order.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back